Removing 2006 Buick Lacrosse Axle Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing 2006 Buick Lacrosse Axle Nut

34MM Socket. 1/2". 18" Breaker bar. Long piece of extrusion for a cheater bar. Heated nut up with Propane (all I have), followed by PB Blaster. Nut is not budging for the life of me. Asked the guy at Auto Zone whether I should use the breaker bar versus an air impact (Max 230 In. Lbs. torque), and he recommended the breaker bar, even after telling him I am using an Industrial air compressor. I am not a whimp either.

Any ideas? Go buy the air impact? Electric impact?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

3/4" drive tools/breaker bar/socket should get her done, BTDT.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I had this problem with my 84 Seville it takes the 36mm socket broke two Johnson bars finally decided to take it to a tire shop got them to loosen it with their impact gun. The bugger was on there good. My 95 GMC needs cv boots may have to do it again too! as its never been off. Its pretty tough when you don't have the tools..
      XS11E 1978

Past Bikes that I owned
      H1 Kawasaki 500 1972
      CB 750K Honda 1978
      CB 750K Honda 1979
      Triumph 500 Daytona 1968
      Triumph 650 Bonny 1969

Comment

Inch Pounds?

Ian, did you mean foot lbs on the impact wrench, as I am fairly certain that you are not going to get that nut off if it's inch pounds. The impact wrench may help loosening it due to the hammering action of the tool, most times I just use a 1/2 drive breaker bar to remove the nut. When you are putting it back together make sure to torque it to the correct specs.

Comment

+1 W/ BPhil. Taken lotsa axle nuts off with that 3/4 '' drive set up. For the Impala, I think it's 34mm or 1 5/16 or something, I always borrow the socket / breaker bar/ and ratchet from my mechanic buddy and have forgotten the socket size. Never met an axle nut that wouldn't come off, and I'm not as strong as I was 15 years ago.
          79 F
          Previously owned: (among others)
          1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
          1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
          1973 Suzuki TM 125
          1979 XS1100 F
          2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
          1991 BMW K75

Comment

The torque spec of that impact was 230 ft. lbs. Sorry for that. And, I did some reviews on a HF 3/4" Impact, along with breaker bar. Will buy both and see what works. Thank you all for your suggestions.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

If you don't want to spend $60 for a one time use socket set, Auto Zone should rent/loan those sets for a refundable deposit.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Phil- That was my first thought. Thank you. No, they do not rent breaker bars. I guess it's something to add to my collection. Both impact and breaker bar (3/4") have great ratings. Will pick them up after work today.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Ingersoll Rand is what to get. Pawn shop is the best price. A 1/2" drive will work just fine, 125 psi air feed.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

We have an industrial IR air compressor with a separate heater at the shop. Compressor room is 10' x 15'. The 3/4" impact got them off.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

See. Never use force! Just get a bigger hammer!
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

On my 66 belvedere with the 426 Hemi and Blower I broke the Yoke in the rear end once and to break the bolt loose Had to weld a solid steel bar to socket welded to a 20 ft length of steel pipe and heat the nut cherry red before trying to turn it While car was lifted off the ground and rear axels chained where the wheels were bolted on. Yep was that extreme but came loose.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends