Re: New member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New member

Hello all, I'm Rob l bought my sf cheap in January. I owned all sorts of bikes over the years including xs250 spec, xs400 spec, xs650 spec and now the holy grail . I gave the bike a good service, oils, plugs, battery, it runs like a dream.
    Surprised at how much go these old bikes have, nearly had go go gadget arms the first time, up with some of the plastic pigs I've owned!
    79SF
    xjr ohlins shocks, tarozzi forkbrace, bsa handlebars, bsm exhaust

Yes, the DO still go! What most people DON'T think about the the vacuum advance/retard system on the bike. It helps fuel economy, but also give the bike a BIG boost on the low end. If you want to have fun, put it in 5th gear at about 30MPH, slow down to 25, and then just twist the throttle. It's my way of racing all the "new" bikes, and I almost always win. Most of the newer bikes need to be moving at 50+ MPH to put it in high gear, otherwise they buck and lug!
    The '79 is a "one year" bike in some respects. It's mostly the bodywork though. Keep and eye on the side covers, as they are like gold for your machine.
    And remember, these bike were designed to run on REGULAR petrol, NOT high test! The engine will carbon up inside if you run the high octane fuel all the time.
    Welcome to the site!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray, that does help, have been running super juice so will switch back, also good info on side panels got new badges but they do need work before I fit them
      79SF
      xjr ohlins shocks, tarozzi forkbrace, bsa handlebars, bsm exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Robsweetland View Post
        nearly had go go gadget arms the first time
        Ha!

Welcome aboard!

We like pics of bikes if you have any to post of yours.
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Working...
        X