taken advantage of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taken advantage of

ok I may be pissed; and throwing off steam and I may have this taken off this site, but here goes.
    XS11 Heaven Book by Bob Jones. Other people have been buying on Amazon or from me directly; and now I see them selling on EBay for $62 higher. I was thrilled that people wanted to buy them; and read about the man and bike. But to make a profit. Shame on you.
    Mr. Smith from Ca. claims three were lost; and I sent him three more. Now to see them being sold; pretty much ticks me off.
    If you want a book; I hope you don't buy from someone that has them at a deflated price!

I'm with you

I got my book from you more than a year ago, to me it is a treasure. I despise people like that!
    You have shone remarkable restraint and I'm with you.
    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
    Braded stainless brake lines
    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
    Vetter Windjammer III faring
    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
    James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Hi Karla,

I feel for your anguish and anger over what some folks will do. But, I saw a Sunday Morning show/article about how a guy in Canada(west coast) who buys a bunch of product from a unique grocery store in the USA, and then takes it back to Canada and RESELLS it there because that store will NOT open a store there, and there's nothing illegal about that. IF someone buys something and then decides to resell it, they have the right to do so...despite how unethical and insensitive to you it is.

Anyone who buys one from that guy at inflated prices most likely isn't a MEMBER of our site, or knows the history behind it, and that you have it available....so in some ways...they deserve to have to pay the higher price!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Books

I bought four from you in 2010 Karla, and wouldn't consider selling them until you were no longer doing so. If I ever sell one of my bikes, a book would be part of the deal, but other than that, they will stay right here. Just wouldn't be right!
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

I'm so sorry Karla. I know many of us give your info to those we see looking for Bob's book. Hopefully, anyone looking for one will know to look for you....

John and I got our copy from Bob when he came down for the Jacksonville rally a few years back. You can bet it has a special place on our shelf.

I hope you are doing well. Lots of love your way. <3
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

at one time or another we all have been taaken advantage of...greedy ppl suck but there isnt much more you can do except vent your anger..When I sold my Maxim a 2 yrs ago the buyer wanted me to install the windjammer on the bike...later he removed it and sold it and the tour pack for a consdierable amount of money...I gave him the setup as part of the sale...my mistake...then he sold the bike for considerably more than I sold it to him for...definitely pissed me off....Sorry you have to go through that
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I still have my one and only copy <3

It looks like it is also listed on Amazon ranging from $28 to $249.95, though you can't see there if they are actually selling.

Looking at Sold listings on E-Bay, it looks like only 1 has sold recently, then was re-listed (or "one like it") and then was taken down.

Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about, but one way to deal with it might be to list a limited supply in these places for a competitive price, but still continue to sell how you always have. There are minor fees and a little extra work involved in listing on Amazon and E-Bay that you would want to recoup the expense, but it's better than allowing someone else to inflate your price uncontrolled.
              82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
              Website/Blog

Comment

In Cycle World Magazine recently, someone had a comment about the XS11. The next month, they posted a reply from someone touting the XS11 Heaven book with the editor stating that a recent search for the book showed a $200+ price tag. I wrote the editor and gave them your email address and told them to buy direct from the source at a much better price. So far, that reply hasn't been posted... but I tried!

I hope things are going well for you, Karla, and you're enjoying touring the open road again on two wheels. (Even if it is on a brand that shall not be named ) Just holler and I'd be happy to arrange a white-knuckle ride around Arkansas again.

Come on here and vent.. or chat.. any time. You're always welcome here.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Karla,
                  IF you sent them USPS, and can show he now has 6, not three, he is in trouble with the FEDS! Turn him in! Let them take care of him.
                  Also, as I'm in Central Cal, PM me his address and I'll see how close he is....
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

There's a book

I need details!
                    78 E

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/articl...bike-ever.html

The article is an excerpt from the book. Contact Karla via PM and for $25 you get the whole hardcover book with nice pics too.

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

There ya go........
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Karla,

Sorry to hear this. I agree totally with you, and understand. I'd be upset, too!

I was able to buy my copy last fall at XSSE from Bohn.
                          It's definitely a treasured keepsake to me.

I agree with what Tod said. I read the same article in CW, in their tech/repair section.

Hope sometime in the near future you can take Tod up on his offer to ride Ar with us! That would be cool!

Be nice to see you again, and hope we can plan a trip there with you soon!
                          Bob
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Mine is dedicated and numbered by you, so maybe if you keep track who got what, might be able to track the bastard
                            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                            X