MauriceB, new member from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MauriceB, new member from Europe

Let me introduce myself, i am Maurice, 46 years old and i live in the Netherlands (Holland). I joined your forum mostly to learn more about the XS how to maintain and to fix problems.
    I started my motorbike career in 1988 on a 1980 Honda CB750F, 1988 Honda VF1000F, 1992 Yamaha FZ750, 1995 Yamaha YZF750R, 1998 TDM850, 2005 KTM 950 SM, 2009 BMW F800GS, 2010 Yamaha XT1200z First Edition, and bought in 2014 a 1978 XS1100 2H9 Maroon Red.
    The XS was bought in 1978 by a friend called Gerard, who drove it on his holidays all over Europe, Turkey and Marocco, he sold it to his brother Marcel who did mostly the same. Biking becomes less by Marcel and so stood the bike many years unused under a protective blanket when the point came he decided so sell it in the spring of 2014.
    I was lucky to buy it, but could not test drive it because there was no battery in it and the carbs were clogged by the old gasoline. After cleaning the carbs by dis ambling them completely, a new battery, and cleaning the tank from its rust. The XS started immediately, only the carbs needed to be synchronized. All with help from Gerard.
    Because the two pre owners used the XS a lot, and maintained it very well, it had almost 180.000 Km (112.000 Mile) on the ODO and looked like "new".
    I use it now for day trips and visiting the XS meeting next month in Germany.
    I would like to post some pictures, but haven't found how to do it.
    XS1100 2H9 Maroon Red 1978 europe model

Hey Maurice,

I was going to provide a link to the How to post a photo thread in the HOW TO forum, but it's several years old now, and the information has changed a bit so here goes!

Most folks use a PHOTO hosting site: ie. www.photobucket.com to upload their photos to. THEN you get the Forums Posting links from Photobucket for each photo, I usually copy them into a Notepad document first, the tags will have the {img} ## {/img} tags around the URL....the brackets will be plain brackets...I'm showing these just so they will actually SHOW and not try to display a photo which hides the tags.

SO...then you reply/open a message window, and then PASTE the URL with the "IMG" tags into the text window. There IS a insert photo button amongst the posting tools, but that's if you only have the plain URL,it will put the 'IMG" tags around it and put it into the message.

Our site will resize images to fit into the browser windows usually about 800 x 600 size. Photobucket also will resize images to a preselected size that you pick when you sign up and set your preferences. Most dig cam photos now are like 4000 x 3000 pixels which are just too big and take up too much bandwidth. About 1024 x 768 is a good size now for most web sites and monitors.

Our web site can NOT host the photos, too much bandwidth use for our costs, so that's why you have to use an external hosting site.

Hope that clears it up for you. Also, remember to hit the Enter/Return key after every set of image urls, so that the photos will be on a separate LINE of text and will be stacked vertically in the browser and message. IF you don't, then they can get placed SIDE by SIDE and cause severe sidescrolling of the page/text.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Great story Maurice...Welcome to to the forum...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MauriceB View Post
        Let me introduce myself, i am Maurice, 46 years old and i live in the Netherlands (Holland). I joined your forum mostly to learn more about the XS how to maintain and to fix problems ...
        Then you have come to the right place ... the collective knowledge here is astounding!

If you have a problem with your XS1100, you can bet someone here has heard of it, and knows how to fix it ...

WELCOME, Maurice ... and enjoy!
        Marco

Current bikes:
        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
        1979 Honda CBX
        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Welcome ! Can't wait to see pics of your bike, always liked the looks of the Euro models.
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Here some pictures from my 78 XS.

Rear view.

Top view.

Black engine.

Exhaust.

180000Km experience (+/-112500miles) The pre owner has put the old style label on it.

Left side.

Going to the 2014 XS meeting in Germany.

Parked beside my tent at the 2014 meeting.
            XS1100 2H9 Maroon Red 1978 europe model

Comment

Hard

to tell it's not brand new ! Thanks for the pics !
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Hi Maurice! Finally you made it on here hehehe. Welcome. And as some people already know Maurice, Gerard and myself know each other and live in spitting distance of each other.
                XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

I wished my 1980 XS looked that that one. They really did take care of it.

My daughter lives in Holland (5years). I am going over there later this year for her Defense (PHD).

Bill
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

That is NICE!!!

Welcome aboard!
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Wow, nice bike.
                      81 xs1100 SH
                      81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                      80 suzuki gs550et
                      07 suzuki S40

Comment

Wow!.......rarely find and can buy them in that cond. in you guy's location.......James England can attest to that with the 'restores' he's done over the yrs. Nice scoot....take care of that bad-boy.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by MauriceB View Post
                          Here some pictures from my 78 XS. - - -
                          Hi Maurice,
                          ooh, that's really pretty.
                          The only suggestion I would make is to get your brake discs slotted.
                          My XS11SG came with slotted discs but alas it also came with those Weird Harold front brake calipers.
                          It's way easier to slot solid discs than it is to replace Weird Harold calipers with something sensible.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                          X