Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my story.

Hi, Bob here

Finally made it ! I had given up all hope of getting in. Thanks to who hacked and slashed their way through to get new members in. I hope I can give as much as what I've only been able to take back to this group.
    My XS journey began long ago, but I didn't even know it, by a man who was like a second father to me. He had bought the bike new in 1980 and dumped it in 1985. For many years I pushed him to fix it or sell to me. Finally in 2003 he called me said he was retiring to Virginia and if I wanted the bike to come and get it. So I took the bike and with no where to store it put it up at a friends house. Having kids and other bikes i was never able to do anything with it. Then in 2013 my friend called me and said he had sold his house and I needed to come and get my bike. So I went picked it up rolled into my fairly new garage and home addition. Looking at it I said "Hey this really ain't to bad". You all know what happen from there ! A week or two later a few ebay parts here and there she was up and running, not perfect , but up and running. Sent a few pics to my friend and to ask him for his dads email so I could send him so pics. He called me and said you don't have to he's here now on a surprise visit. So I told him not say anything and I'd be there in 30 mins.
    I will never forget the look on his face as pulled up in front of the house. He was speechless and in tears. He said after all this time I thought that bike was gone! He road it around the neighborhood for quite some time with the cheesyest grin. As we stood there talking and discussing things that still needed doing I told him when I was all done he could have it back.
    A few weeks went by and phone calls back and forth and discussing a few things that he wanted to do to the bike and when and how he was gunna come and pick it up. On a monday morning I was driving to work and my phone rings , its my friend , he proceeds to to tell that dad had died last nite. So long story short this bike is for Mr. C , R.I.P.

Thanks for listening to my story.
    80 XS11

Wow Thank you for sharing that

What a very cool thing that he was able to ride it again!

I'm so sorry for your loss... but so glad that you have that great memory of him.

By the way... welcome to the forum!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

That bike has a "Special" story tied to it!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

For Mr. C, the inspiration lives on !
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Wonderful story, Bob ...

But so sad that Mr. C passed on before he picked up the bike ... at least he was able to ride it one last time ...

What a wonderful memory of Mr. C that day (the day he rode it) is for you ...

WELCOME to the Forum!
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

It's always a good thing when you can do something for someone that gives them a smile. Although Mr. C is gone, you know he remembers his last ride.
            Welcome to the family!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks all . Now onto tweaking this bike into perfect !
              80 XS11

Comment

Hi Bob,
                Welcome to the forum. In case you have not noticed XS East Rally is coming up on Memorial day week end. We are near Lake George NY this year.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                X