Well Gents . . . It's Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Gents . . . It's Done

First things first- I owe a great deal of gratitude to Pastor Jared Parmley (TheRev) for being a great friend and inspiration for my bike build. He has been there every step of the way for me, and without him, my bike would not be what it is.

Anywho . . . I finally finished the bike tonight. Never thought I was going to finish, as my gf was being needy today. Last things I did today was putting a new valve cover gasket, installing the digital speedo, the Maier fairing, and buttoning everything back up.

Can't say my bike is liking the 137.5 main jet. It could be that or the larger 45 pilot jet, but something is a little off. I'll figure it out as time goes on here.

For those who are curious everything I did over the Winter:

Viper Yellow paint, with black pearl stripes
    Trailtech Vapor digital speedo (My rotors are too close to the speedo hum)
    New FZR1000 Rotors
    2004 R6 Blue Spot Calipers
    Maier GP Sport fairing
    Showa Air Shocks
    1980 Left Muffler
    Bicycle Lever Seat Mod
    LED Instument/Speedo/Tach bulbs
    Metzeler Lasertec Tires
    Wix Panel Air Filter
    K&N Oil Filter
    Valvoline 20W-50
    NGK Irridium Spark Plugs
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Ian -- that is one cool looking go-slo scoot. Very slick, well done!
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

Nicely done and creative- has it's own tasteful style.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I like the Kenny Roberts theme nice job Ian
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Looks good

Very nicely turned!
          79 SF & 80 LG MNS
          73 & 74 RD 350's
          73 Honda CL 450
          Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Very nice! I like it!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That looks awesome!!
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Nicest build I have ever seen on this site. What a fabulous job!
                1995 KZ100P
                Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
                  Nicest build I have ever seen on this site. What a fabulous job!
                  Hah! I would not take it that far! Eye of the beholder in your case, but thank you very much! Truly flattered! I actually cannot count on two hands of all the bikes I wish mine could look like on this forum. I'd rate my build as novice.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

wow looks great! what do the toggle switches do?
                    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                    Green Dyna Coils
                    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                    kevXS

Comment

Left one is for fog lights, right one is for headlight.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Way to go!

Excellent work there, Ian! Seriously!

Be careful with the Lasertecs. They're great tires! I loved 'em on my bike -- stick like glue and you can almost ride on walls/ceilings with them but they're kind of short on tread and cords to do it.

There's not a lot of rubber between the bottom of the tread, the first cord and the air cord if you catch my drift so don't let the tires wear too far before you change them. They're not much in the mileage department either so enjoy the heck out of 'em, they're fantastic tires but watch the tread.

-- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Grr. I was hoping these tires will last a little bit. Especially with me attending a few rallies this year.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                            Grr. I was hoping these tires will last a little bit. Especially with me attending a few rallies this year.
                            Eh, nope, not going to happen with Lasertecs but you'll have fun riding them!

Go with something similar to (put your favorite tires here ) the Metzeler ME88 Marathon 6 cord bias-ply on the rear and the ME880 bias-ply on the front and you'll get great mileage, good performance and handling but they're just not as much fun to ride as the Lasertecs.

-- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              Eh, nope, not going to happen with Lasertecs but you'll have fun riding them!

Go with something similar to (put your favorite tires here ) the Metzeler ME88 Marathon 6 cord bias-ply on the rear and the ME880 bias-ply on the front and you'll get great mileage, good performance and handling but they're just not as much fun to ride as the Lasertecs.

Those are the tires I just took off. The front was still golden, but was older. Neither tire is made for the Standard anymore.
                              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X