Pointless Safety inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointless Safety inspection

I moved to Utah about 18 months ago. My Missouri stickers were good till 4/2015 (yes, I know the law states I only have 30 days from move-in to register/title in the state), so I let it ride. In Missouri, the inspections were done at specially-licensed motorcycle inspection stations. These were usually motorcycle shops with trained techs. Here, any garage can inspect any vehicle (of course, they have to be licensed), including Jiffy Lube!

Well, I took my bike to get inspected at the local garage without knowing what to expect. I parked on the side of the building, assuming the tech would need to wheel it into the bay to inspect it. This was not the case...

I was greeted by a tech who came out front with me, carrying a clip-board. He asked me to start it up (still on the side stand). He looked over the top of the front wheel, I assume to glance at the tire and the brake calipers, then checked the turn signals, and headlight before moving to the back where he checked all the rear lights. He asked me to honk the horn, then flip the kill switch. That was it!

The inspection paper I got back said that I passed things like steering, brakes, and fuel system that were not even looked at. It also says that I don't have a windshield, which I do. I found the regulations regarding what they are supposed to inspect, and while I admit that the $7.00 maximum fee that can be charged would never cover the time and effort needed to fulfill a proper inspection, I feel like I was given a piece of paper that doesn't really mean a thing...

I understand that we don't always like the idea that someone else has to determine if our bikes are road worthy, but there is a reason for it, and I understand it. On my first inspection in Missouri, I was taught of the importance of free-play in the brake levers (which the tech fixed for me right there at no charge). Things like steering head bearings need to be inspected, and without lifting it off the ground, you really can't get a decent inspection as prescribed by the law. They are even supposed to determine the amount of pressure applied by the brake calipers, with a special tool, and inspect the swing arm bearings.

What is the point of getting an inspection if all they are going to do is check the lights?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

I too have thought the Utah Motorcycle inspection does not cover what it should and are a waste of time. The only thing that I have ever been called on was a missing strap for a passenger to grab onto (I had side grab bars) I put a bungee cord on and they called it good... they no longer check for that. They do not even check for old and cracking tires.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

What's a safety inspection?

J/K!! I know it's our government at work.
      78 E

Comment

........and majority most of reason Colo. eliminated yearly "inspection". Early 70's I was 'liscensed' inspector, as were all the shop employees at CDOT.
        That amounted to being handed a signed paper stating so, that way any seen expired inspection sticker on vehicles while in shop could be easily updated by any shop personnel.

Know what your sayin' C.Bug. Sister/bro-inlaw, who have three bikes get the same 'inspection' treatment. They live in nearby Layton.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have no problem with the "prescribed" inspection, but the actual application of that inspection is what bothers me. I mean, checking to see that the headlight is focused correctly should be done on all vehicles, but that can't be done while on the side stand... I still can't see how a Jiffy Lube could do a bike inspection, since I have never seen a bike lift at any of them. Part of me wants to report the garage/tech for the lack of attention to my inspection (not sure who I would report them to). While I'm glad I passed, I think I should only pass if I truly pass all the inspection criteria, not simply because I handed a guy $7 and started the engine.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I have no problem with the "prescribed" inspection, but the actual application of that inspection is what bothers me. I mean, checking to see that the headlight is focused correctly should be done on all vehicles, but that can't be done while on the side stand... I still can't see how a Jiffy Lube could do a bike inspection, since I have never seen a bike lift at any of them. Part of me wants to report the garage/tech for the lack of attention to my inspection (not sure who I would report them to). While I'm glad I passed, I think I should only pass if I truly pass all the inspection criteria, not simply because I handed a guy $7 and started the engine.
            Or, you could live in a state that could fail you for a chicken$hit reason.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

In NJ they did away with motorcycle inspections...you want to make sure its safe? You'll have to inspect it yourself...@ $7 per inspection its not even about the revenue...it is rather absurd....
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Think yourself lucky, our annual inspection is $45 for bikes, I have two bikes on the road at any one time.

And $82 annually for 4 wheelers, we have 3 at our house.

$336 per year on inspections!!!!
                Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Depending on age, we have either one or two inspections per year. Bikes registered before 2000 have six monthly inspections, called a Warrant of Fitness, at $45 per visit, and post 2000 have one annual inspection, at the same price.
                  We also have an annual registration fee of $591 for bikes over 600cc and $477 for bikes under 600cc (considered by many to be an absolute ripoff), which is tied to the WOF system. We cant re register if we have no warrant of fitness, and there are fines and demerit points for being caught without a rego, or warrant.

As far as the fee being a ripoff, what most people tend to overlook is that most of that fee is a levy imposed by our Accident Compensation Corporation who pay for all of our health care and bodily repairs in the event of an accident, as well as covering a percentage of lost wages (currently 80%) while were off work recovering.
                  I used to think it was a ripoff too until i fell off and broke my leg, and started counting the cost of recovery and recuperation that i didnt have to pay in a lump sum, or spend the rest of my life paying off medical bills. The cost of my repairs and recovery was way more than ive ever paid in levies so i'm on the winning side, so to speak.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Holey smoley that's expensive! Michigan has some kind of crash fund as-well, and that's why our insurance is more expensive than our Southern neighbors. However, we don't have inspections. Just annual registration fee.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I forgot to mention that any motor vehicle in NC that is 35 years old or older is inspection exempt...Thus SwampThing is inspection exempt
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Georgia

Just lucky, I guess. No inspections here for motorcycles.
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

California has smog inspections for cars, every other year at about $45 all in. Plus, you need a smog when you buy/sell a car. Motorcycles still have NO inspection! Registration fee's are up there, though. this year it's $87 per for the XS1100's, and $235 for the BMW. The reg is supposed to help with road repair, but a motorcycle pays the same as an old car, even though the car does much more damage.
                          Insurance for my XS herd is $235 per year as collector bikes, and the BMW is $700 per year fore full coverage as a daily rider. My OLD car does NOT require smog, as it's too old. It runs $200 for PD/PL per year.
                          Then there is the price of gas in this state....
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Your bike starts? Lucky SOB...
                            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Ray, I think the only thing keeping Cal from smogging bikes is whenever it is brought up, someone says, "What about tractor/trailer rigs?" and the state backs down.
                              "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                              X