Troubleshooting With Embossed Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting With Embossed Images

Here's a handy troubleshooting tip for working with pictures.

Sometimes there is entirely too much information in an image or it's just not very good in the first place. Any image can be Embossed with most desktop graphics programs to simplify it and make it easy to spot patterns or problems at a glance.

The example crummy image I'll use is 100_1300.jpg. It's a bad photograph of the damaged original crankshaft #1 journal from my '80G. The details, the lighting, damage and marks have been exaggerated and highlighted by Embossing.

The original image has been converted to 256 color grayscale, the color was inverted and then run through the Emboss effect. Like an infra-red picture, inverting the color for embossing gives a better image because the bumps, nicks, dings, scratches appear correctly; bumps stick out and holes look like holes.

And that's my 'Stupid Trick' for the day!

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Cool effect

That is a cool effect Scott, but it looks like a lot of work to fix the bumpy surface in Columbo. Hope your bod is coming around so Columbo can get a Happy Face again,,,,,,,,,,now I will get paranoid on how non-smooth my xs1100 engine parts are after seeing your photo effect. Time to pray to the clean oil engine gods. Take it easy,,,Mike in Sun Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Mike!

I wish it was that easy to fix stuff, I'd run meself through the Embosserizer and -- viola! <playing happy tune>

Anyway, it works great for reading scratched/etched/faded part numbers on old parts too.

Snap the picture, load it on the computer and a couple of clicks in ye olde image software later you can see and read stuff that was all but invisible with the MK1 eyeball or a regular photograph.

-- Scott
      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Pretty slick, Scott!
        Gotta remember that!

Hope you get your kinks as well as Columbo's ironed out soon.
        Take it easy!
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanks, Bob!

But wait! there's more!

As always, click any image/link for different sizes!

This is an XS750 final drive input pinion and ring gear.

"Yeah, so what?"

It looks like there are dimension marks inscribed on the input pinion but they are not easy to see.

This is the original image DSC00843.JPG.

DSC00843_orig JPG

The original image has been zoomed to focus on the pinion, then cropped and resized.
          The brightness and contrast were adjusted to highlight the inscribed dimensions.

DSC00843_crp_rsz_adj JPG

The original image has been enlarged, cropped and resized to focus on the input pinion.

The brightness and contrast were adjusted to enhance the scribe marks.
          The image was converted to 256 color grayscale and the colors were inverted before the image was Embossed.

The dimensions inscribed on the input pinion are visible.

DSC00843_crp_rsz_inv_emb JPG

"Exit, stage left!" <dodging large hook>

-- Scott
          _____

Comment

Working...
          X