Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sad Day.

Hey Folks,

Well, like Rover recently, I, too, have now experienced a family loss. You may remember the B-I-L Peter that I had spoken about in previous posts. He was a lifelong smoker, enjoyed his alcohol as well as other herb vapors. He had a strong aversion to medicine/doctors. He had lived with me/us the last 5 years after we had essentially rescued him from a short stint with incarceration after which he would have ended up homeless. He had been a tree surgeon, but had worn out his knees with the tree climbing, and so he wasn't able to work. He had not worked for a legal company, and so SS taxes had not been collected/paid, etc., so he had not earned enough "points" to receive disability income.

Anyways, his health had started to go downhill the past few months. He had developed BLOOD in his urine, but it wasn't from bladder/kidney infection...he had no fevers or any other pain. At first we thought it might have been a severe infection, and were able to put him on a regimen of antibiotics, but they didn't help at all. The last week, he had complained of being short of breath, and a few days ago stopped smoking! His skin had also taken on a more ashen/gray color. He had become rather weak, had trouble sleeping/breathing laying down, and resorted to sleeping in a chair/recliner.

This morning after I had already gone to work, he got up and had again mentioned to my wife that he was having more difficulty breathing, and he agreed to let her take him to the E.R. He came down the stairs and went into the downstairs bathroom to relieve himself. While in there he apparently collapsed, and regrettably fell off the toilet against the door, which prevented Nancy from being able to open it. After she wasn't able to get a response from him, she called 911, they arrived several minutes later, and were able to get the door open enough to get to him and pull him out onto the hallway floor. But by this time, he was already BLUE. They performed the required ACLS procedures, had the automatic CPR machine on him as they took him to the E.R., but his pupils were already fixed and dilated, and Nancy knew that he had gone!

He was only 54 y/o. But his father had passed at a relatively young age from heart disease. Peter's Mom had also been an Insulin diabetic and she had passed with pancreatic cancer. He lived his life hard and fast the way he wanted, and had told me a few years ago that he had not expected to live as long as he had. He had 2 sons and 1 daughter, but he had not been in their lives just after a few years after they were born, and they are all grown up now. We were able to contact them via their mother/grandparents mostly to let them know about him, as well as to provide them with medical family history information for their future awareness. They live in Penn, we are here in Southeast Va.

We finalized the funeral plans this afternoon, he will be cremated, and we plan on spreading his ashes out on the fishing pier where he so loved to fish, catch and release only. Because of his probable diagnosis of Cancer, and that he had passed not in a hospital environment, he could not be an organ donor....as far as major organs, heart, liver, kidney, etc. HOWEVER, because the eyes...specifically the Corneas which are what are used in corneal transplants to restore sight...they are NON-vascular and so CAN be harvested and used to possibly restore sight to one or two people, so he can help somepne to at least experience life a bit better with the gift of sight!

Okay, that's about all I have to say for now, may be busy with helping SWMBO to get thru this ordeal for a while....he was her "Little Brother" !

Take care of your selves, and if you SMOKE, think again about quitting, get your checkups....colon and prostate....both quite successfully treatable when detected early. I want everyone to live long and prosper.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Sorry that you wife had to go through that! I hope she can get over the fact that she was there, but she "couldn't do anything", even though there was nothing she could have done. Give her and everyone there our best.
    I hope things DO seem to get easier sooner rather than later.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Sad indeed !!

Geez TC.
      Sorry to hear it .You've had a tough way to go lately.
      First the Fiasco with your moms"caregivers"and dealing with the banks/government etc. and now this..Hope you are able to take some comfort in knowing your kindness prevented him from dying on the street or under a bridge somewhere..Hang tough and stay strong.
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Wow TC, I am SO sorry

You have had an incredibly tough time lately and to now go through such a loss...
        Many positives and prayers your way for comfort and peace.
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Very sad story, TC ...

It must have been especially difficult and traumatic for your wife, considering the circumstances surrounding his passing.

I'm so sorry for your loss ... my deepest condolences to you and your wife.

Please tell your wife that there are people praying for her and her family.

Hang in there, TC.
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Sorry for your loss TC it can be hard when the life experiences just keep coming. While you are taking care of everyone and have the world on your shoulders do not forget to take care of you. God bless we all wish the best for you and yours.

Ron
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Sad day

May the Lord ease the pain of your loss, just as He has relieved mine. Nothing your wife could do. Hope she doesn't blame herself in any way. Both of you made his last years pleasant, and you should be proud of yourselves. God Bless
              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
              79 F (Blueballs)
              79 SF (Redbutt)
              81 LH (organ donor)
              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
              rover has spoken

Comment

Sorry to hear

It sounds like you provided a safe haven these last few years so he was able to have family support as his health deteriorated.
                79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                73 & 74 RD 350's
                73 Honda CL 450
                Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

TC,
                  Sorry to hear this.
                  You and your wife have my sincere condolences
                  Sounds like he was fortunate to have your family's help.

Bob
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

So sorry for your loss TC.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
                    Gone but never Forgotten:
                    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

sorry for your loss you helped your friend like a brother!!life,s tuff sometimes ,,Mo
                      The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                      moemcnally@hotmail.com
                      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I'm sorry

TC, I'm sorry for your loss, and especially your wife's.

Jon
                        Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                        mods to come

Comment

Not So Sad; Way To Go!

If only there were more people like the two of you. You and your wife rescued her brother from who-the-heck-knows-what so good work, both of you!

Yeah, I know this'll sound corny but it works: did he like to ride? I mean he must have liked to do things besides climb trees, smoke and drink so what were some of them? Help your wife remember her little brother and not just finding him stuck in the bathroom and you'll most likely help yourself too!

-- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

T.C. Sorry for your family's loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours during this time of grieving.
                            I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hi TC,
                              so sorry to hear that, please accept my condolences.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X