Weekend To-Do List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend To-Do List

Morning all! So, the HUGE Winter checklist of purchases is complete (exception of helmet). The other half of the page is a checklist of rebuilds, repaints, etc. Wheels are currently being mounted and balanced this morning. Going to grease-up the R6 pistons and new seals, and get them put back together. Re-install the re-built starter with new brushes and grease, install the freshly cleaned ignition switch with broken locking mechanism removed, driveshaft splines to be cleaned and regreased, new air shocks installed, oil drop with new K&N filter and Valvoline 20W-50, instrument cluster with LED bulbs re-installed, replaced LH OEM exhaust pipe with new exhaust gaskets, install carbs with 137.5 main jets, and 45 pilot jets, install airbox with new Wix panel filter, and before all of this is done, Deoxit all connections on bike.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Let me know

what kind of mileage you get with those 137 mains.

That list would take me a month to roll through and sadly the list on just my Special is much longer. Weather and other things have kept me away from working on my bikes but now that it is finally getting bearable I'll make a move on it.
    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
    73 & 74 RD 350's
    73 Honda CL 450
    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Well, I got half my list done. i realized that I left the carbs, airbox, oil and shocks at the shop, so I installed the wheels, ignition, and instrument cluster. Fiddled with the new rotors with R6 calipers all day. Will make another go at it on Tuesday evening.

Will-do Gmac. Hopefully it's better than what I was getting before.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The reason

I was asking is because I haven't pulled off the carbs on my Special to clean or check to see if all the jets match and got right at 100 miles on a tank of gas before I refilled. Not exactly what I'd call great mileage and because it was me getting my feet wet riding again there weren't any wide open blasts or high RPM engagements to cause excessive consumption.

This tends to make me think I need to purchase a Color Tune to go along with the vacuum gauges so I can get them set right after I tear down and clean the carbs. I figure while I'm in them I can possibly adjust it leaner for better mileage although I know properly tuned it should get better overall.
        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
        73 & 74 RD 350's
        73 Honda CL 450

Comment

Don't waste your money on a Colour Tune! Vacuum gauges for sync, and plug chop for air/fuel adjusting. The thing is, even if you buy the Colour Tune, you still have to check plug color to make sure all is well. So, cut-out the middle man, and do a plug chop for adjusting mixtures. Using that tool on our bikes leads to utter confusion.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            Don't waste your money on a Colour Tune! Vacuum gauges for sync, and plug chop for air/fuel adjusting. The thing is, even if you buy the Colour Tune, you still have to check plug color to make sure all is well. So, cut-out the middle man, and do a plug chop for adjusting mixtures. Using that tool on our bikes leads to utter confusion.
            +1!!!!! I regret wasting my money on a color tune!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hmmm, OK

I'll save the cash and throw it at TKat for one of his fork braces.

I thought the CT would be easier to use and I really hate screwing plugs in and out of hot aluminum heads. I've done the throttle chop method on my two strokes forever so doing it to the XS will be no problem, just takes a bit longer.
              79 SF & 80 LG MNS
              73 & 74 RD 350's
              73 Honda CL 450

Comment

Working...
              X