No announcement yet.

Ride with Special Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that, Ray; good to see Ed's clappy as a ham and Mike has a better looking '80G than I do! Back to work on Columbo.

I haven't been out on Reservation Road for a while and it looks like y'all had fun. I miss the heck out of Salinas and the Monterey Bay but not the high gray flannel fog. </Steinbeck>

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Mike has a better looking '80G than I do! Back to work on Columbo.
      Remember, Mike bought the bike NEW, and it has never left him. Stored for a while, but always taken care of. Makes a BIG difference as we both know.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yes I AM the PO/OO (Original and Only)...

She has spent all but the first year of her life garaged.
        Fuel issues were the only major effort in bringing here back to life.
        Well except for the SWMBO comments over the years: "When are you going to get ride of that thing?"
        Glad I didn't cave in to the pressure!!! In her defense she has been very supportive and accommodating while I have been working on the bike.
        Speaking of which...
        I got stuck in gridlock traffic on the way home from the ride.
        Had to make the "I'm not gonna be home in time for the dinner plans" call.
        All ended well - Forgiveness being easier to get than permission and all.

Bike is running great (again thanks Ray)!

It is 80 here today - hmmmm perhaps a short local ride?

3Phase,
        We will gladly save some fog for you if you come and visit!
        Heck I will even drive over the hill through the freak "California drought
        rain storm" (tm) again.

- Mike
        1980 XS1100 Standard (G)
        Original Owner
        Stock plus:
        K&N air filter, Supertrapp 4x1, Techna-fit SS brake lines, TC Fuse Block, TKAT Fork Brace
        ...dirt and grime from several states.
        -------------------
        2011 FJR1300
        1978 SR500

Comment

I'm still trying to get a hold of Ed or his wife to see how things went. Phones go to voicemail, or are busy most of the time... I'll let everyone know once I know.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

OK, made a trip "over the hill" today and saw Special Ed. He is alive, and sort of with it. I guess they tried the easy way on Monday, Super Glue through a tube!(don't ask!) As that didn't work, they did the hacking and sewing on Wednesday, for 5 1/2 hours. Ed has a "happy button" to help with the pain, but is NOT allowed any food or drink for a few more days.
            His comment is he can feel all the chemicals, but they are NOT the ones from the 60's. I talked with a nurse, and Ed may be online in a day or two, so look for a post from him.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Thank you for the update!
              I was getting worried since nothing had been posted after they tried the shortcut.
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

My Brothers and Sisters:

Thank you so much for your prayers and moral support! My recovery is going to be long and slow: during that time I will suffer through living each day with a bad ass XS11+ sitting unriden in my driveway through a couple of months of gorgeous Monterey Bay spring weather! During that time My biker activity will be limited to working on finding a suitable trade down to a smaller bike. It will have to be a straight across trade, since I have lost what little income I had. I will also be pursuing a new career in the voice over industry! More on this later: I am running out of steam and need to lie down. love y'all. Wish we could all go for a putt!
                Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Get well soon Ed. Keep us posted on your progress.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Ready

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                    THANKS, for the great Ride Report and Pics.

This is awesome
                    Report said right on 68. It took me two days. 68? 68? 68? then finally remembered why Hwy 68 was familiar: Laguna Seca ..... duh!
                    We appreciate being able to follow along. I looked up 'street view' of Baja Cantina; out front that great old carriage wagon from days of old. nice!!

Jeff

the 'Money Shot', this is fantastic:

This is a good motivator for us XSives to plan a ride here in Georgia soon
                    I'm ready. Let's ride!
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Welcome Back Ed!

Glad to see you on-line.
                      Take your time and mend. We will save some Monterey Bay weather for you.
                      When it's time we can tear up the back roads (and basket of chips) again.

- Mike
                      1980 XS1100 Standard (G)
                      Original Owner
                      Stock plus:
                      K&N air filter, Supertrapp 4x1, Techna-fit SS brake lines, TC Fuse Block, TKAT Fork Brace
                      ...dirt and grime from several states.
                      -------------------
                      2011 FJR1300
                      1978 SR500

Comment

Working...
                      X