Bi-Partisan Legislation--Call your reps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-Partisan Legislation--Call your reps

If you're an XSer, doesn't matter what party you vote for, you can call your representative and let them know you support ending the ethanol subsidy/mandate. It's not only bad for our machines, it's bad policy, (IMHO) even if you're a tree-hugger like me. It might even pass.

Personally I can't find any non-ethanol gas nearby.

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=news&id=1496
    Steve R

'80 SG
    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
    1978 XS400E Red
    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

I have always

hated alcohol in gas for all the things it doesn't do other than line pockets.

While not high up on my priorities list it is enough to send me off on rants about crony capitalism.
    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
    73 & 74 RD 350's
    73 Honda CL 450
    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

A Fight it will be

Defeating the corn lobbyist will be nearly impossible. They are the ones who control the politicians to keep ethanol in gasoline.

As is usual, what we think is not of major importance.

Ethanol is BAD - for engines - for the environment.

Fortunately, there is non-ethanol gas near enough to me. I have saved many a repair $ in the past by keeping ethanol out of my machines.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I pretty sure

that any SUNOCO station near you will have ethanol free gas.

I'm fortunate enough to have one at the front of the neighborhood here, unfortunately neither of my XS's are rideable right now.

I did contact my House representative and both of my Senators.
        Sen. Sessions supports removing the EPA's requirement.
        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
        73 & 74 RD 350's
        73 Honda CL 450

Comment

Yup.. The subsidies to raise corn for fuel instead of food is what's caused feed for cattle to more than double.. which we're all seeing when we try to buy a decent piece of meat. The days of 99 cent per lb. hamburger, I fear, are long gone.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

All the small time chicken houses are falling down around where I live. Mostly only big farms raise chickens now. I'm told it's due to the feed cost. The chicken house below my house is now a car repair shop. It smells better than chickens.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

This is the only thing Ethanol should be used for..

Made at home..

In one of these..

It has NO place in engines, only stomachs...

..and its all completely legal here.
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

It's legal here too

But not for resale and in extremely limited quantities.

There are moonshiners around here but they are becoming rarer and rarer thanks to drugs like Oxycontin and meth.

Nice still btw, is it all electric? and how are you cooling the distillate or do you even have to?
                79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                73 & 74 RD 350's
                73 Honda CL 450

Comment

The boiler is a converted jam preserver, with the original 2kw element and thermostat. The tower is a home made reflux/fractionating column with an internal condensor at the top.

Inside the column, and just below the takeoff point theres two opposing plates that collect the condensed alcohol, and the amount of reflux is controlled by the takeoff valve.

Column is stuffed with stainless wool which slows the rate of the returning, cooled liquid, which keeps the head temp down (no loss of vapour) and keeps it mixed with the rising vapours.

Works really well. Average take off is 92%. Once its watered down to 40%, and 'barrelled' in charred oak woodchips, it makes a really good bourbon.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Sorry for the thread hi jack btw.

Comment

Too late. I already filled my SG with bourbon.
                      Steve R

'80 SG
                      "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                      1978 XS400E Red
                      1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Working...
                      X