Parking space/lot crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking space/lot crash

Not I, but with the riding season comming up for majority, THIS particular incident will ALWAYS come to my mind when in this parking situation!
    This happened yesterday to a ST rider in Frisco, Texas. It is absolutely unbelievable!

Of all the ways I've heard of accidents, never would I have imagined I would go down like this.

Picture an old town's square where the parking spaces are angled toward the store fronts on the street. I was parked in one of those and had just put my helmet on. I was just about to rock it off of the center stand when a vehicle (don't know what kind, black is all I know) came flying in and hit me from the back right quarter. It spun my bike clockwise and spun me counter clockwise. I was thrown into the front of his car and his bumper drove me into the SUV in the space to the left of me. It pinned me between the two cars with the weight of his car on my head and chest. I couldn't breathe until he pull back off and I fell face first to the ground.

I laid there face down trying to take stock of the damages on my body. Careful not to move in case of spinal injury. I was in intense pain and thought my right femur was surely broken and possibly my pelvis. My ears, nose, and lip were bleeding as well as an 8" gash on my left cheek. I can say that if I had not had my helmet on, I would be dead. My helmet was crushed. I assume the face shield is what cut my face.

When they rolled me over the blood started running into my eyes so I never did see what hit me or my bike. I caught a quick glimpse of the SUV and its side was caved in.

I was released late last night from the hospital where I walked out. My leg and hip are severely bruised but I'm intact with no internal injuries. I was ATTGAT and don't have a mark anywhere on my body excluding my face and head. My helmet is toast but saved my life.

Now, recovering the bike and the insurance fun......

A later post stated that preliminary reports said the vehicle ajacent his bike, the direction cage was coming from, had just left that space moments prior. So visibility should'nt have been an issue. Thinkin' maybe a cage driver may be in serious do-do.....
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

The driver that just pulled out MAY have pulled out in front of the vehicle that hit the bike! It's hard to say, but I've seen a LOT of things while on the road, and I have over 1 million miles between motorcycles, cars, and big trucks...
    Glad the rider was OK, for the most part. and yes, ATGATT!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I see those old town parking spaces all over, and I see idiots flying into them like a race. I'll relish the day that a shopping cart is in that spot. Sorry to hear of your friend, glad he is okay.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Wow

Glad your ok man. Parking lots and intersections are kill zones for us aren't they. I got run over by a large truck in a parking lot back in 79. He jumped a curb and ran right over me. I'm lucky to be alive but still suffer from the effects today. So glad your ok, bikes can be replaced. Much damage?
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

Here is the police follow up report of that ST site member.......even more incredible!
          I got the police report today. It turns out that he wasn't parking and was doing about 30. The street is a 2 lane/2 way street so there shouldn't have been 2 cars side by side on this street. He (driver 1) was attempting to pass a guy (driver 2) on the right. That guy (driver 2) was about to enter the open parking spot to my right. Driver 1 glanced off of driver 2 and plowed into me slamming me into the car to my left. It makes total sense now. I would've never guessed there was another car involved.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Driver 1 should be spending time in prison, after paying off ALL costs incurred by the other drivers. It probably would be a good idea to let family members "talk" with him BEFORE going to prison, maybe 2 minutes each, before he is "helped" into the police car.....
            Sorry, on the drive back tonight with Penny, I had to pass a young lady who was too busy texting in the fast lane to bother with looking at traffic, or her lack of speed..... Just blurs my judgement.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I try to be choosy about where in a parking lot I will park...generally its the furthest spot from all the main traffic...I always just pull into the back of the space and park the bike "shallow" in the space then I hang my hi viz yellow jacket on the back of the seat...town square parking is avoided IMHO the 2 most dangerous places for a motorccycle are parking lots and being stopped at traffic light controlled intersections...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I was going to mention that I always park in the rear half of stalls so that no one gets the idea it is empty, but that would not have helped in this case.
                "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                  I was going to mention that I always park in the rear half of stalls so that no one gets the idea it is empty, but that would not have helped in this case.
                  Mmhmm. I make sure my tire sticks out.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I like to park deep in the space.. then sit and watch cars and drivers.. thinking they've found a spot and the look of joy on their faces... then instant disappointment and mouthed cuss words when they finally see the bike there. lol. But I do try to back into these spaces. At least then I'd get to see the car that was about to slam into me.

Glad the guy is going to see more riding days eventually.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I don't ATGATT all the time but always wear helmet, gloves, and jacket, either my TourMaster or heavy leather. Don't always have my TourMaster pants and riding boots on. So far have been lucky, only one accident in 40 years.

Parking: I tend to park near the rear of the space, back in when I can so incoming cars can see the headlight, turn lights, and fairing instead of the rear tire. So far have not had any close calls in the parking lot where I park when I commute in on the bike.

When on the road I try backing into parking spaces when I can, mostly because I can see more when it is time to leave. I also tend to park away from other vehicles even if it means a longer walk to my destination. This approach works for me, but there are times you just don't have a choice.

Parking spaces and intersections...the most dangerous places to ride! Be careful out there.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

BTW this happened to an ST-Owner over on that forum...which Brant and i along with several others are also members..
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X