No announcement yet.

Gasoline Shelf Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can prevent rust in an empty tank with fogging oil.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

For Long Term Storage

I use 93 octane gas and a stabilizer, either Stabil or SeaFoam and in many cases both along with two stroke additives.

I do not use ethanol added fuel in any of my engines, period.

I can start any of my saws, bikes and small engine implements any time I need them by filling the tank after I use it to prevent any chance of condensation internally. I rotate the fuel out after a year if I don't get a chance to go out in the Jon boat or use it in my saws.

I've seen the damage ethanol does to small engine fuel systems and I'll never use it in anything I want to keep long term. We have gas stations that sell non-ethanol fuel, Shell or Sunoco, and it is also available at several others as a stand alone. I haven't used AV gas due to expense and aggravation of acquiring it.
      79 SF & 80 LG MNS
      73 & 74 RD 350's
      73 Honda CL 450
      Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Apparently some 100+ octane avgas uses TEL as the octane booster. So, it could be leaded fuel and bad for catalytic converters, o2 sensors, your health and who knows what else. If going the avgas route, it's worth verifying the fuel you're getting is unleaded, but then you might be inadvertently finding yourself back in the ethanol content arena again.

Edit: Actually, according to a table on wikipedia, they don't identify ethanol in 100+ octane avgas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas
        Last edited by Prothec; 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM.
        82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
        Website/Blog

Comment

There is no ethanol in aviation fuel. Not ever. What they call low lead has a lot of lead (TEL). That isn't all that great in an XS1100 either. (lead deposits) Mostly it's a health hazard.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Lead

Well if they can fly there planes and look down on me riding my bike
            then I can do the same back. I just use 30% I put it in my tank. not on my hands.
            79 SF

Comment

Yep. Aviation fuel is the good stuff. It has to be. If you're mixing low lead into your tank, the lead will significantly raise the octane of the auto fuel in your tank, not that it matters to an XS1100.

Burning corn is good for the Iowa economy, right?
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Working...
              X