Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter

My Starter is starting to give out and I have a spare.

Has anyone changed out a starter? Is there a You tube video?

Looks pretty straight forward.
    78E, 79F, 80G

As straight-forward as it seems Don. Hardest part is sliding it back in, getting it to play nice with the starter gear.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Mine spins a few times when it is cold I worry a little but once it has warmed up from a try or two it catches and starts the bike,the original on an '80 and 85 k
      '80 XS1100 SG
      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

The starter CLUTCH will not work well in the cold! If you are running 20-50 in the winter, they REALLY don't like it. IF that is the problem, the starter spins, but the engine does not turn, it's the clutch. You MUST split the cases to replace it, so most of us just go to a 5-30 in the cold.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

starter

Thanks all,
          I think that I will leave it alone until it warms up.
          78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

You CAN put a 60W light bulb under the pan at night to keep the oil warmer. That will sometimes be enough to keep the starter clutch working in the cold. Also, the type/brand of oil can sometimes make a difference. My '79 had problems in the "cold" here (32F now and then), and 15-40 diesel oil helped a lot.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
            X