Use of Fog/Driving Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Fog/Driving Lights

So, I use my fog lights at night, and during the day for shiggles. Somebody flashed their foglights at me today. Remembering Pat Kelly's irritance, I googled it. Turn's out, there is literally Facebook pages devoted to "turn yah fog lights off". I kinda laughed at that. I don't think they're bright at all, and they're low to the ground. So, what's the deal? Are people just looking for anything to gripe about, or are other's seeing something I don't. If anything, I find factory HID/LED lights more annoying than some Honda Civic with them.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Hi Ian,
    True Fog lights should not bother any oncoming traffic as the light pattern is low by design. Cheap Driving lights throw light all over the place making them more difficult to aim without bothering oncoming traffic. If mounted low and aimed properly they should not be bothersome to others.
    Perhaps he was warning of speed traps or cops up ahead.

Or perhaps you are right and some people just have a burr up their butt.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Here in Virginia in 2006 we had gangs that would drive the back roads and streets at night flash the high beams several times if you flashed back then they would target you with an initiation shooting so you never really know the reason but never flash back its not worth it to see if its a cop or a worse problem. And here people flash to warn of radar traps. The cops have also pulled people if they see the warning.
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends
      Rear trunk add-on
      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I did a lot of reading on the subject, and it's very controversial across the pond. They also have rear fog lights as-well, which has etiquette pertaining to them. I think it comes down to etiquette before my time, and those people do not like seeing it broken.

I was party to an idiot when I was in high school driving with his lights off. I flashed, and he did a quick 180, and tried running me off the road. This was around the same time as "spud ball", where peeps threw molotov coctails through open windows at stop lights into your car.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I went to college in Flint.

One day the guy at the stoplight next to me was giving me the finger for no apparent reason - except maybe because my skin was lighter.

It was a rough city in late 70's-early 80's when I was there, and my motorcycles were being built!
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Interesting Mike. I'm actually not in Flint anymore, in Fenton and Grand Blanc now. Gotta change my signature. I grew-up in Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield. Moved to this area after graduating college. Remind me to get you what you asked me for.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
            X