Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the one gift you wanted and received this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the one gift you wanted and received this year?

Hey Folks,

Just posing a question to get things going. I really didn't have any real wants this year. But I thought it would be nice to get a basic Go Pro Hero unit. They are up to the 4th or 5th generation of them at around $350 or so.., but they still sell their basic unit called just the HERO and it's only ~$129.00.

It's still got FULL 1080 HD capture capability, along with 2 other settings, 720P and 720 S60 which is a superwide version.....greater fisheye lens effect.

It only holds a maximum size 32GB MicroSD card. But it also performs some crazy high level compression as it's capturing video. In the standard 720 format.....which has the LEAST amount of fisheye distortion, it takes about 100MB a minute, so that's still ~320 minutes....or a bit over 4 hours of video!

As stated, the files are MP4 format...but extremely compressed....and so you actually have to do 2 sets of conversions/editting processes....first to take it from their hi compressed format into a standard windows AVI or MAC MOV format. Then you re-import these files back into their FREE editting program where you can then add text/titles, clipping, as well as more advanced editting functions...graphic changes....contrast, sharpness, etc., as well as changing the resolution....as well as being able to zoom in or pan, speed up or slow down(SLO MO).....even REVERSE, things like that.

SO....I took Godzilla out today...temps were in the low 60's, no wind, lots of sunshine....purchased the extra motorcycle/bike clamp set...~$19.99 which fits 7/8's and 1", has rubber grip liner, easy to clamp handles, etc. and got it mounted to the handlebars. The rubber grip strip helps reduce the vibrations. Fired the bike up after sitting for ~2-3months...GEL CEL sealed battery, on tender, had Sea Foam in tank, fired up after a few hits....guess it took a little time to fill the bowls. Then took a ~10 minute ride out onto the local highway, and then back home.

I converted it to ~800 x 480...16x9 format...but it was still ~120 MB's. I then used a different program and reprocessed it down to 640x480 with ~512 Mbps rate....that put black bars across the top/bottom, but also dropped it down to about 45 MBs. I then uploaded it to Youtube....where it probably reprocessed it again!? But anyways....here's the clip:

http://youtu.be/MS-N5N4bGZg

The wide angle did show the speedo...but the lighting was bad when I was on the highway section so you can't the actual readout, but I put a comment onto the video!

Hope you got what you all wanted for Christmas this year!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Bought gifts for family, received none.
    It's about giving.
    That said, my wife is buying a gunvault for my side of the bed with her next check.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Big surprise to me was a Shure model 55 wanted one for years and there it was
      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
      and SOXS
      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
        Big surprise to me was a Shure model 55 wanted one for years and there it was
        Nice! What is it going to be hooked up to?
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

a Yorkville M810 and also through my Tascam digital recorder depending on where and what Im doing
          Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
          Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
          and SOXS
          2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I got a big can of Plexxus!

(As expensive as Plexxus has become, Bohn might get jealous...)

My gf also surprised me with a cool gift-
            A picture book she had a place make for me that had action shots of me taken from XSSE this past year, my Hot Springs, Ar trip, pics of Talimena Drive, and some zip lining pics of the 2 of us... all from 2014.
            The cover of the book is a full sized photo of me taken while riding my C14 at Deal's Gap this year.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Time

My wife encouraged me to take the time for myself to fix my ride.

Time is becoming increasingly valuable to me.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                I got a big can of Plexxus!

(As expensive as Plexxus has become, Bohn might get jealous...)

My gf also surprised me with a cool gift-
                A picture book she had a place make for me that had action shots of me taken from XSSE this past year, my Hot Springs, Ar trip, pics of Talimena Drive, and some zip lining pics of the 2 of us... all from 2014.
                The cover of the book is a full sized photo of me taken while riding my C14 at Deal's Gap this year.
                Jealous?.........doubtful, but likely appreciates not having to use all his Plexxus whenever another windshielded bike parks next to his.
                Sounds like the gf did sumpthin' up nice for those 'remember when' times.

You have a safe, great year Bob!.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Jealous?.........doubtful, but likely appreciates not having to use all his Plexxus whenever another windshielded bike parks next to his.
                  Sounds like the gf did sumpthin' up nice for those 'remember when' times.

You have a safe, great year Bob!.
                  Thank you much, Sir!
                  Here's wishin' you the same!
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Got myself some heated grips, since no one else in my family has any clue about the bike. One thing I did ask for, and actually received was a 10" wide quick-release front-vise for my workbench. The sucker weighs a ton, so I have to reinforce my bench top to accommodate it. Should be installed before the end of the week.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X