A Great Christmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Great Christmas!

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to tell you a story with a great ending!

Not something I speak-on much, but I'm a child clinical social worker for the County, counseling abuse victims, etc. Anywho, I have an outspoken co-worker whom is a riot to get excited over anything & everything. He decided he was going to treat himself to an early Christmas present and buy himself a new Ford F-150. This guy had the perfect truck in-mind, set-on fire blue, extended cab, not fully-loaded like his Toyota Avalon, but just enough options to be happy. Apparently the dealer could not find the truck he wanted, so they loaned him another F-150 till they could. A week and a half later, Barry gets his truck. At work, all shiny & BLUE in the parking lot, it's nice! Gone the next day for a LINE-X bedliner. Back in the lot the following day. Barry is planning a road trip with Big Blue down to Charlotte to see his siblings for Christmas. He's excited to put some mileage on the truck. Barry leaves for work, I follow five minutes behind. Lo & behold, Barry's truck turned around on the side of the road, driver's side side-swiped, drive axle hanging. He's okay, just angry. The other guy's car? A '98 Buick Century- totaled. Everyone is okay. Barry was not at-fault. Took an hour for them to load Barry's truck onto the flatbed, as the drive axle kept digging into the mud. During that whole extravaganza, Barry is a jerk with no compassion for the other driver whom is in tears. He has little money, saving every penny for his kids Christmas gifts and college. Works two jobs, and his wife two. His wife arrives in a car worse-looking than his wrecked car. Wife is in tears. They are both devastated at the realization they cannot afford another car, let-alone a deductible.

Drove Barry to the dealership. No body shop, no rentals. Drive him to the airport to get a rental. All I'm hearing from Barry is what an idiot the other driver was, and he hoped he had a rotten Christmas, etc. Very disappointed in Barry. Where is the empathy?

Wednesday night leaving work, who do I see at the gas station working? The other accident participant. Talking to him, he was layed-off from GM after a plant closure, and works two jobs, and neither equal the pay he earned at the plant. His son is in law school, his daughter pre-med. His wife had to wake-up extra early to drive him to work, after she got-off work two hours prior at Walmart stocking shelves. This guy just is not having a good ending to his year. However, it's about to get brighter. My younger brother had a '02 S-10 Extended cab, 4-banger he no-longer needed. I called him up, offered him some Christmas pocket money for the truck, and picked it up. Drove it back to the gas station, and handed him the title, shook his hand and walked away.

I don't know what he told his wife or family. My phone number is not listed. I don't care to know. I could have done more I guess. I have connections for employment referrals, etc. Could have asked more questions to see how else I could have helped. But, I didn't. He has a car to get around with, and he's right back where he started with the exception of paying the traffic ticket. Merry Christmas to him and his family, and I hope he learned his lesson. A happy ending fortunately.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

What an awesome post!
    I'm certain you restored that family's faith in their fellow humans.

It's a great feeling when we are able and willing to help those who are less fortunate.

Thank you for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful new year!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Excellent!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Thanks Ian. Wonderful story.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Wish you a Merry Christmas

and a Happy New Year Too !
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Cool Ian....Merry Christmas......
            Mark
            1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
            1992 Ducati 907ie
            2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

Michigan people are like that !

Always a brighter side to a bad day .
              My wife and I were on our way home from a dinner with friends last Friday. As I rounded a curve, I noticed sparkling car parts on the road, illuminated by my headlights. Just ahead a young girl was standing near the side of the road next to her car (Not illuminated) all lights off. As we passed her I noticed the front of her car was smashed and a jeep was across the street with minor damage to the rear end. I pulled over and asked if all were OK and they were.
              The young girl confided in me that she was not supposed to be out driving and her father would now know she was not at her friends house . She could not be consoled as she said "This was the worst day of her life". I took her aside and asked her if she was injured or had her friend been killed in the accident ? Somehow the intent of the question did not register at first. When her friend told her she was all right, It finally sunk in. Life would go on, her dad would forgive the accident and the sun would come up tomorrow.
              P.S. The cars collided in front of a body shop so no towing bill would have to be paid
              79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
              85 Honda v65 Magna
              70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
              02 Road King (retirement gift)
              First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

That was a admirable and unselfish act on your part. I am sure the people you helped are still in shock. You picked up a whole bunch of karma points for your thoughtfulness and compassion.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Very comendable Ian

Its really nice to read about things like what you did.

Happy new year!
                  79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                  73 & 74 RD 350's
                  73 Honda CL 450
                  Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Ian,

Thank you for sharing that story ... very compelling, and it gives us all something to think about.

You may never know the impact of your selfless act on that man's life ...

I hope it creates a ripple effect in his life (and in the lives of those he touches) that continues for a long time.
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                    X