Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The HONEY-DO List

Hey guys,

NOW that winter's HERE, many of us have to turn to other projects instead of our bikes. SO...I thought I'd start a thread on some of the other things we who are directed by SWMBO's get to do when we are not biking/wrenching. Here's one that's been sitting around all summer long that I finally got around to working on.

We had this cheap dining room table...I mean cheap because it was a decent particle board 3 piece top but it had a laminate of real wood on it, along with a real wood ball/claw footed pedastal base. Anyways, I had pulled a scented oil/plug in type air freshener out of the wall and layed it on the table....it leaked and actually dissolved the less than paper thin varnish/stain finish on one section! SO...swmbo wanted to get a new table = $$$. Being the FRUGAL guy I am, I said..."NO"....I can fix it.

Well, I finally got around to doing just that this weekend. I pulled out the 3"x21" belt sander I "received" as part of a stash of tools and such from a coworker...who's father passed away a few years ago, and they couldn't use/needed them...so I graciously accepted them! Anyways, went to Lowes, got a pack of 5 120 grit belts, some Rustoleum stain and clear gloss urethane, it had quicker dry and repeat times vs. the Min-Wax stuff, some disposable natural fiber brushes, and went to work. Because of the outside temps being in the 40-50's, I couldn't work on it in the garage or on the back deck....so I did it right there in the Dining room! I brought out my shop vac and stopped often to clean up the dust and such from on the table....we are going to be replacing the carpet soon so wasn't too worried about it.

Okay, here are the photos since we all like photos! The original sizes are ~1024 x 768 so you can click to enlarge if you desire a closer inspection!
    I forgot to take a shot showing the original damaged area, but it looked like an oil spill snaking all across the table end section...hence why I started there.

As I said, the laminate/venier was also quite thin...and due to a slight warpage/thickening of the edge of the center leaf I ended up sanding THRU it slightly into the particle layer! Oh well!
    This shot of the other end of the table shows how the extremely thin varnish layer was also wearing through!

So...here's the whole table fully sanded down to bare wood.

Here's the Stain on the first section.

Here it is after fully stained and excess wiped off and dried. The original color was a warm OAK but had darkened apparently over time. The Rusteoluem selection had an OAK, but it was too light/yellow in color, so I chose the next darker shade...can't remember now what it was called, wasn't as dark as a walnut, but just a tad warmer/browner.

Here's a shot using the flash of the finished 3 layered/coats of Urethane applied and dried....only required 2 hours per coat vs. the 4-6 of the Min-Wax, you can see the nice warm oak color.

This was a no flash to try to get the window light reflection to show the SHINE of the surface, it is artificially darker and looks more like a darker brown walnut color....but isn't really....sorry for the poor focus. BTW, I had my portable 500 watt Halogen shop light shining on it ALL NIGHT, along with a stand fan and the dining room window open to keep the toxic fumes out of the room/ventilated.

Anyways....that was my project. Hope you enjoyed the show. The total cost of supplies was about $35.00....bought way too much Urethane=quart, but have plenty left over for possible other projects. Just a few hours of labor not counting the 6 hours of wait time between coats, and saved me I'm sure many hundreds of $$ vs. having to buy a NEW TABLE...and I'm sure would have had to buy matching chairs as well!

So...let's see and hear about some of your honey-do projects!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Darn it, TC! That's another project I've been putting off!

Nice job!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I did the same to a dining room table my sister was going to throw away. She told me I could have it if I wanted to fix it. That was 15 years ago.

It needs refinishing again now but, I think it's time for a new one now. My kind of abuse is more difficult to repair.

PS. The poly urethane doesn't like heat (hot pans)
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Noice work

T.C., that takes a delicat touch to finish those veneers, like the color you picked too. I've spent 20 yr. repairing, finishing, swapping, trading, selling for a living.
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Hi TC,
          Nice job. Well done. That table was definitely worth saving.
          Veneers they use today are in some cases literally paper thin.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Growing-up, we had a very expensive dining room table with leaf extensions. We never saw the actual table, because it always had a pad and table-cloth on it to hide the ugly pad. Have you considered a pad made for it?
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

good Job TC
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Nice refinishing

job and well done, it looks outstanding!

I've refinished tables, desks, dressers and hardwood floors and love polyurethane for the durable finish it provides.

That reminds me, I have to put in new 1/4 round in the upstairs hallway.
                79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                73 & 74 RD 350's
                73 Honda CL 450
                Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Nicely done, TC. Can't beat the warmth and sheen on a newly finished tabletop.
                  79 F
                  Previously owned: (among others)
                  1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                  1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                  1973 Suzuki TM 125
                  1979 XS1100 F
                  2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                  1991 BMW K75

Comment

How is the urethane applied? Can it go on with a brush? Are the brush strokes self leveling?
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Don't know what TC used but I used a spray can and it turned out perfect.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Very nice work TC... now you're Honey Do list will be growing no doubt...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                          How is the urethane applied? Can it go on with a brush? Are the brush strokes self leveling?
                          Hey Marty,

The Urethane is brushed on, I should have used a thicker amount for each layer so that it possibly could self level, but I had it thin the first coat, and it partially soaked into the wood grain, and I used some CHEAP natural fiber brushes...so they weren't cut as smooth across the application end as straight or smoothly as a more expensive brush....but I didn't want to bother with the cleanup! It probably would have been smoother if I had used a sponge brush. Also, it could probably be polished with a motorized polisher if you wanted a crisper reflective shine. IIRC, it said that it could be cleaned up with mineral spirits...so this way you could clean a more expensive brush between the 2 hour dry periods. I stopped at 3 coats which is what they recommended, but I don't know why you couldn't apply more? The light use dry time was 48 hours, and I think it said up to a week for heavy use drying/curing?? I've already put the can out in the garage, I'm sure you could find this info on their web site. HTH?

And Swmbo uses a "runner" down the middle of the table, and we also use hotpads when we serve from the pots on the table. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sooooo!

the money you saved on not having to buy a new table is going towards your paint / powdercoat job for the bike? Have to love a plan.
                            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                            Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X