Speaking of Tires....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Tires....

Well, it seems a bit slow on the site these past few weeks, so a little off topic stuff seems appropro.

I had to put some new Black Bling on my SUV today because the tires didn't pass the state's safety inspection! There was still a good Lincoln penny head worth of tread depth but was right AT the wear indicators! I was hoping to get at least another couple of seasons out them....Winter and Spring before having to shell out the $$ to replace them!

Found my original purchase receipts, the old ones were installed in May, 2009, so 5+ years isn't too bad. AND the mileage was just under 60k, and now it has 138K, so 78K miles for tires rated for 60k is also pretty good. They were BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A radials, 265/70-16's for light truck/SUV's. At my local wholeseller type store similar to SAM's, they were about $175.00 EA!
    I think they were ~ $150.00 5 years ago, and so at $600.00 total, that comes out to less than a penny($.007) a mile cost!!! OR....about $0.30 a DAY calculated that way.

This brings up the discussion about if I had to ride a bike as a daily commuter vehicle, that I would be very inclined to go to the "dark side" as has been coined and put an automotive type tire on the rear. I wouldn't be very worried about cornering performance while doing commuting, and I would probably just either put a real MC rear tire on for when I would attend rallies with real mountain twisties....or even get a spare rear RIM and have that MC tire already mounted so that it would be an easier swap of just RIMS to get full MC tire performance for the FUN type of riding vs. commuting.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

OMG another tire thread is what I thought. Then the thought processes went to work and I have to ask this question. Why do we not have a permanent type poll, (without participants being able to reply) on oil and tires?
    This would alleviate the whole what oil or what tires questions!
    Not for your question of course as it is not a motorsickle.
    I would guess that it would also have to entail members changing their mind once they have tried a different tire but it seems that would be workable. So once you have cast your vote you would then have to delete your vote to enter another one. LOL, sick mind I have, and am just wondering if others would be interested if it could be done?
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

TC, the Darkside discussion for the XS has already been had...
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...dark+side+tire
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Not meaning a dark side to anything. Simply wanting to post a poll that could have meaning to the questions asked about things, such as tires and oil and batteries etc.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

light brownish slippery oil not too thick not too thin
          Black round rubber tires with kinda slices where they touch the road but not on the sides all done
          Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
          Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
          and SOXS
          2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            ....or even get a spare rear RIM and have that MC tire already mounted so that it would be an easier swap of just RIMS to get full MC tire performance for the FUN type of riding vs. commuting.

T.C.
            I do this when touring, if I'm setting off on a week+ European trip that could take 2000+ miles and there is 1500 miles left on the tyre on my bike I hate to fit a new tyre, I have another rim that I fit new to that for the trip, when home refit the 1500 mile wheel/tyre until its worn out so its ready for a new tyre.

You could easily do this with a car tyre fitted to one rim.

(tyre-English, tire-US )
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

A few riding buds do darkside....usually only on a commuter bike, one has a PC800. I think he has over 10k on the tire now......he also put a rear mc tire on the front....
              I thought about it when I had to re-shoe the fjr.....$200 is hard to swallow for a rear tire that will only last 6k miles or so.......but I liked pushing that bike too much to give up any cornering performance.......
              Having an extra rim with a darkside is a good idea for touring, I think.....
              Mark
              1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
              1992 Ducati 907ie
              2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                Not meaning a dark side to anything. Simply wanting to post a poll that could have meaning to the questions asked about things, such as tires and oil and batteries etc.
                I would read that.
                78 E

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                  Hi Rasputin,
                  I dislike the poll style of post for 2 reasons. 1) it is just raw numbers 2) it pops up on my unread post every time someone adds a vote.
                  If you are looking for the meaning of life you need a different kind of Guru

I would like to see people continue posting their opionion on exsiting threads rather than starting a new one each time....but unsure how to make that happen. On the topic of tires I have found some useful information and made my decision to switch to Shinko 712 based on the opinion of people I have ridden with. Like any advice it is up to the individual to decide whether too take it or leave it.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

TC
                    I am riding a T/A BF Goodrich on the rear of my Yamaha Royal Star Venture now. The RSV’s run a 150/90/15 on the rear and there are a few different tire brands to choice from. I am not sure there are any good car tires available in the 130/90/16 size.
                    The Other Earl
                    80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                    and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                      light brownish slippery oil not too thick not too thin
                      black round rubber tires with kinda slices where they touch the road but not on the sides all done
                      :d
                      +1 :d:d:d
                      Mike Farrington
                      Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
                      Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Comment

Brief change of subject

Hey TC,
                        How is that Wipe New holding up? How long has it been?
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                        X