Most miles in a week or so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most miles in a week or so

How many miles have you put on your 11 in a week or so?
    I did a quick trip to Ogden UT from Cincinnati OH and back plus alot of running around.Straight to and from was about 3400 plus an extra 4-5 hundred running around.I was gone for I think 8-9 days I don't recall.I had to get back to Cincinnati OH in a hurry to pick up partner on her Honda 750 and then back to Indianapolis for a poker run so that was another 4-5 hundred.
    Oh to be young again with a good bike
    '80 XS1100 SG
    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

To & from work for five days was about 200, plus any small mileage on the weekend. I can't do long riding. It wears me out driving a car down to the Michigan border, let alone attending a rally in another state.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Steppenwolf

I believe the proper term for what you just did is iron butt. I too don't think I could hold up to a trip that long in such a short amount of time. At least not on my xs11. Might be able to handle it on my Harley with cruise control.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

Jim,when I was a bit younger I didn't know any better but to just ride till ya droppedI have a crude cruise control that helps.I was young,dumb and full..you know the rest.I was an OTR truck driver so miles were pretty easy to rack up,you get a mind set and off you go.Gotta keep the bike in shape tho.

'80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Hi Steppenwolf,
          I just did 4000Km in 4 1/2 days which works out to about the same thing. Averaging 500miles per day is decent distance travel but not what Iron Butt is made of
          I certainly hope you enjoyed your trip as much as I enjoyed mine. Trouble free from the sound of your post otherwise we would have seen a series of pictures
          Billy Roc manages to keep up that sort of pace and takes pictures
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Well if you are gonna hit the road the #1 thing on your list should be a GOOD RAINSUIT,you will hit rain and it will be cold especially in the mountains.If you have never ridden in the rain you will learn quickly that it is not that bad if you are dry and warm,cold and wet..you will look like a wet kitten on your porch.
            '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Good

looking bike you have there. By the way that is my problem when riding. My mind tells me go and my body says WTF are you doing. Most of the time I just go anyways and then I have to lay down for a while. Still love the long rides though. I sometimes wonder which will give out first... me or the bike. Most of the time the bike wins.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                Well if you are gonna hit the road the #1 thing on your list should be a GOOD RAINSUIT,you will hit rain and it will be cold especially in the mountains.If you have never ridden in the rain you will learn quickly that it is not that bad if you are dry and warm,cold and wet..you will look like a wet kitten on your porch.
                +1 on the rainsuit ... they are invaluable on a long road trip!

Most I've ever done in a week was about 1,500 miles ... about 12 years ago when I visited my parents in New Mexico.

Not on the Eleven (didn't own one then), but on my former Honda CB1000 Custom.

Perfect weather to NM, but on the return trip ... rain, snow, and COLD!

So glad I had rain gear and other cold-weather gear ...
                Marco

Current bikes:
                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                1979 Honda CBX
                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Don't know about a weeks worth but for one of the M.O.M rallies I went from Austin to College Station to Dallas and back to Austin in a day. Almost 500 miles. Did I mention it rained most of time? On the trip back from Dallas to Austin it rained off and on. Had electrical problems, every time I hit the turn signals, the bike would start to miss. Needless to say, I quit using turn signals for the rest of the trip. Not a handy thing in the rain. Ran on reserve waaaayyyyy to long. Fortunately, I was able to coast it into a gas station. Never did figure out the turn signal thing and it hasn't done it since. I didn't have a iron butt when I started, but had one when I was done.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                  X