Help Request to North Georgia Riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Request to North Georgia Riders

I'm doing my second Iron Butt run this year on November 1/2, the Bun Burner (1,500/36), to support an important charity to me, the Special Needs Schools of Gwinnett. (It's a private non-profit school for special needs kids.) My special tank ain't quite as big as I'd like for this trip. I've got a standard tank I could use, but none of the accessories, just a clean bare tank, and them parts are hard to find cheap. So I was wondering: does anyone local to north Georgia have a big boy tank I can borrow for this occasion?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
    I'm doing my second Iron Butt run this year on November 1/2, the Bun Burner (1,500/36), to support an important charity to me, the Special Needs Schools of Gwinnett. (It's a private non-profit school for special needs kids.) My special tank ain't quite as big as I'd like for this trip. I've got a standard tank I could use, but none of the accessories, just a clean bare tank, and them parts are hard to find cheap. So I was wondering: does anyone local to north Georgia have a big boy tank I can borrow for this occasion?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    IBA says you can carry up to 11.5 gals. Maybe someone has an Aux. tank they can loan you...Good Luck with obtaining Bun Burner Gold....
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Mike,

Do you have the gas cap? Sounds like you don't have the petcocks. Do you have the fuel sender/plate so that at least the tank is sealed? You wouldn't be able to use the standards sender anyways since it's for a real gauge, and the special only uses an idiot light. IF you wanted to bother you could swap the plate/sender from the special onto/into the standard tank, so you would still have some kind of warning of pending low fuel, although it might not be as accurate as if it were in your special tank.

You might be able to acquire the petcocks from some members, either for cheap, or even just temporarily borrowing them? Also Andreas Weiss has lots of parts, he might have the petcocks for a standard fairly cheaply...although you may need to rebuild them?? You could probably get by with just 1 petock, and plate/cap off the other petcock hole, and just run a "Y"/T from the 1 petcock to the 2 sets of carb intakes. 1 petcock easily flows enough fuel to fill 4 carbs and keep them topped off while running.

JetMech Marty lives up there, but he's only got a special. Chris/Yamahansolo used to have a Standard....but he's got a modern sport bike now, not sure if he got rid of his old XS11....if not, he might be willing to let you borrow it, the tank that is?
      Send him a PM if he doesn't respond to this thread.

Come to think of it, I think the Lorax also lives near there. I can't recall everyone that attended XS Southeast that were local and had Standards??

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I don't know if you have bags or a trunk but if you do, pack light and fill them with extra gas cans.

With bags and a trunk you should be able to carry an extra 4 - 6 gallons comfortably. Granted, you'll be riding a Molotov cocktail and you'll have to stop to refuel but a chance to get off that seat after a couple hours will most likely be welcomed.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          I don't know if you have bags or a trunk but if you do, pack light and fill them with extra gas cans.

With bags and a trunk you should be able to carry an extra 4 - 6 gallons comfortably. Granted, you'll be riding a Molotov cocktail and you'll have to stop to refuel but a chance to get off that seat after a couple hours will most likely be welcomed.
          careful...if this an IBA sanctioned ride 11.5 gals of fuel total is all you are allowed to have on the bike...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben, 4 + 6 = 10.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

What parts

What parts do you need to use the tank you have? I have a standard tank that is in rough shape, really rough shape, but it has a good cap and freshly rebuilt petcocks. I am in Charlotte, NC though, so it is a bit further away. I would like this tank to be functional at some point, so basically loan you the parts.

Chris
              1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
              1981 XJ650 Midnight - Black Betty
              Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Tank

Unfortunately, the only thing south about where I live is southern, Ohio. Otherwise, I'd happily let you borrow my tank. Especially since I started tearing stuff apart to deal with a few issues ( electrical ) after we got back from the east rally, and still haven't gotten everything back together yet ( one of the blessings and the curses of having more than one bike, you always have another to ride so the incentive to get really busy on stuff tends to wane ) well, that and I have 4 wheeled vehicles that are commanding my attention at the moment. Wish I could be more helpful. Have a nice day and ride safe
                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies. The standard tank I have is clean but gutted. I do have an extra special tank which has a liner separating inside, but the parts are good. Too bad special bits don't fit standards. This lack of petcock and caps sure seems to be a show-stopper ....
                  Mike Farrington
                  Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

Rettic, PM sent.
                    Mike Farrington
                    Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

Working...