e-bay %$#&@!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-bay %$#&@!

I'm starting to get a little ticked off at all the jerks on e-bay trying to make a quick buck ripping XS's apart. I saw some d*@k trying to get a stupid amount of money for airbox PARTS! Not carb manifolds, but taking the rubber parts out of an airbox and trying to sell them separately. Again, I apologize to all the moderators and gentle readers for my crass language, but it is really starting to get to me.
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Breaking For Parts

Tommy, about 6-7 years ago the same thing started to happen to the Honda CBX,s. (6 Cyl. Honda made 69-72) A used normal one went for about $1500. back then. Parts of course were scarce so people (a very few) started buying them up and selling them off one piece at a time. Well their $1500. investment started turning into $5000.-7000. As more got broken up for parts the scarcer they became and the collector status took over. A good CBX now goes for $4000 -10,000. There is a very large market for these parts and bikes world wide right now. Maybe with luck the same thing will happen to our XS-XJ's. Doubt it though. The sound and mystique of that 6 cylinder is pretty impressive.
    I have heard of one guy in Florida who has made a good full time job for several years selling off used CBX parts. Apparently the old frames are stacked like fire wood in his back yard. He was making a run up and down the east coast once a month picking up CBX's.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

"Brand New Starter and Horn Buttons machined from Billet Aluminum"

Dude, if I got these my bike would start so much faster!
      I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
      //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Actually, guys, our bikes would spin the starter continuously. These pretty babies will ground out to the switch housing. Every time you turn the key the starter will spin!

Don't buy them!

randy

Comment

The generic items under "xs1100" are pretty weak. Bar ends and grips, etc. Plus I've seen other items like turn signal lenses (new aftermarket) for $6 each, when you can get them for $3 at an online store. Caveat Emptor.
          2010 Kawasaki Z1000
          1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Actualluy, I have been buying a few parts off of ebay which I have been having trouble getting in other locations. I wanted to replace a few things like the handlebars and a few other parts. I only buy stuff on there if it is much cheaper than new or too difficult to find.

It does sound like a very lucrative business but I certainly am not going to get into it.

I usually use the following for a search "(xs 11*,xs11*) yam*" (without the quotes) and I also make sure to check the search the details as well. Usually comes up with about 300+ items with quite a few for batteries and fork rebuild kits.
            Last edited by thumperjsa; 05-08-2004, 02:07 PM.
            Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

with ebay you need to search for very specific terms, XS11, XS 11, XS1100, XS 1100, XS 1100G, SX 1100 Etc. Etc. Etc. will all get you hits on XS11 stuff. I usually put Yamaha in the search term so clothes in XS (extra small) don't come up. not kidding about the SX either try it!
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                [B]Actually, guys, our bikes would spin the starter continuously. These pretty babies will ground out to the switch housing. Every time you turn the key the starter will spin!
                Actually, they work fine. Tkat has been making these for quite a while now, and I use them on my XS750 with no problems at all. We had a rash over there of the factory plastic buttons falling apart.

I have another set for the H that is going on eventually.
                Tom Hunt
                Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
                1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

In aqddition to searching on Yamaha XJ I also search on Yamaha 1100. Gets a bunch of Virago and other models, but some interesting stuff comes up that way.

Tearing bikes down for parts is a touchy topic. On the one hand, I would like to see running bikes kept running, but parts have to come from somewhere. I prefer to rebuild/repair what I have and only get replacement parts if I have no other alternative. FWIW, the same practice goes on with old snowmobiles and old Scout 4x4s...situation is not unique to XS/XJ11s.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

oil cooler on ebay

I know I have read of some people looking for an oil cooler on e-bay. here is one I found that looks descent.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7901453352
                    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Hello,
                      BikeHawk is correct that the Billet Buttons work fine, and that TKAT still makes them. However those are not TKAT Buttons pictured, those are ones I had done at a local machine shop. I had several hundred of them made, they are slightly larger than the factory buttons - and fit better. Out of the last 100 sets I have sold, I have had 2 people that had to slightly file the contact tip. I had these made due to the large number of requests I have had for them. TKAT gives his Fine Buttons away for a donation, and travels by word of mouth. I had these made for all the people that need them that do not hang out on motorcycle forums & lists, but use ebay as a source.
                      I think the price I have been charging is fair on the buttons, and have had no complains - and many compliements on them.
                      i do agree you see a lot of stuff being mis-represented on EBAY, like other people sellling the golf cart emblems as NOS XS1100 emblems, that is LAME.
                      just my 2 cents!
                      Bill Woods
                      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

I bought a set of carbs for my 79special the guy stated that they needed cleaning, that they were fine other that for the cleaning. He also stated professional packing, when I recieved the carbs they were in a box with old newspaper around them and the bottem knocked out of thebox. The carbs came off a burnt bike, the hoses wre tosted and I could not get the slides out of the bore. After soaking for a day and half I was able to get the slides out of the bores. The slide were distorted and the bores also. The only parts that were any good were the floats and fuel housings. The enricj=hment valves and the slide covers and small parts. The pictures are not good for what you get. Other thing were sold and weren't what they were supossed to be.
                        Hookum3488

Comment

What an effin' dirtbag!
                          I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
                          //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

So I supose you contacted this guy and told him $$$ back or he would recieve negative feedback??
                            Garry
                            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Tom,

I stand corrected. You're right, these buttons will work fine because the contact is insulated in the switch.

let's see, engage brain in first gear before throttling mouth..........

Cheers,

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X