Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Sreetfighter Revisited

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9d1a9fbd.jpg
    Last edited by madmax-im; 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

This was a Special but the original owner swapped out the tank for Std albeit debadged tank...also put on a std taillight assy...other notables are the blacked out side cover emblems...ohlins gas shocks...painted lower fork tubes...SS brake lines...media blasted rims and bare aluminum left exposed...
    So the purists might cringe a little...but i do believe that while it wasnt original...it was well done and IMHO did not detract from its value.
    So while i was at mark's house tonight getting my tire changed on SwampThing i was trying to describe to him this bike....well he started to make the "purist cringe" so heres what I couldn't convey with words...
    Do you all feel that this is still a wworthy example of an XS11 even in its frankenbike state? Is this not tastefully done? Would you not want to own it?
    Personally I loved it and thought it was done really well...BTW those pics are of the bike in its original unrestored condition...that is how I bought it...through an ebay auction...Then I drove out from NJ to Mich, to trailer it home...it was in the dead of winter...I sold it 2 yrs later to a guy in Baltimore MD...never seen it since...On down the road it goes....
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder."

I don't believe XS1100's lend themselves particularly well to the cafe style. Also, I am fond of the Special. In the case of this bike, it looks bulkier than it did stock. The seat and tail piece are too big. My eye is drawn to the back of the bike where it's the chunkiest. I'm not crazy about the standard tank, but it may help offset the fat a$$ on this thing. To be fair, it's a far better attempt than many of them. Somebody nails it once in a while.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Ben,
        I've always been a "function over style" kinda guy, myself.

I think this works.

While I always liked the shape of the Special tank, it's always been way to small IMHO to ride for very far. Stopping every 80-100 miles on a long trip makes for an even longer trip. Hard to make time, having to stop so much.
        Never had a Special, but if I had... that would have been at the top of the mod list.

Like that seat! Looks like the one I had on my Maxim. That was a great LD seat!

I also like the windscreen.

Personally, I think it was cool. Looked like a "good'ern" to me!

Sounds like what happened to my Maxim!
        Sold it to a guy I had never met before in Skiatook, never saw it again.
        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 09-22-2014, 08:50 PM.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hi Ben,
          As Frankenbikes go it was good
          and as Good Frankenbikes Go
          It went.

Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Indeed beauty is in the eye of the beholder...It definitely worked for me. It came with the all the original parts. The gas tank was absolutely pristine inside and out. The original owner made all these mods in 1981 when there were no issues about collectability..surviability or mods vs pure stock form...Streetfighter aka Cafe'? I'm not so sure...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
              Hi Ben,
              As Frankenbikes go it was good
              and as Good Frankenbikes Go
              It went.

Phil
              Ha ha ha it sure did... did you get the IH email?
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                Ha ha ha it sure did... did you get the IH email?
                Hi Ben,
                Yes. I did get the IH email and your messages.
                Thanks Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                X