Chevy 350 valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy 350 valve seals

I have an RV it's on a 85 Chevy van 1 ton chasis with a 350 engine. I'm replacing the valve seals, it has the o-ring type. I don't see how they could do anything as far as preventing any oil from going down inside the valve guide since they fit in a groove on the valve stem and move up & down with the valve. Am I missing something? My question is could I use the cup type valve seal that fit on the boss of the head like on the xs11 or would the groove in the valve stem when fully opened go down inside the seal & start to cut the inside of that type of seal?
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Those are the original type seals. They do work fine, but they do make the cup style stem seals in a positive seal type. Check with a good parts man, and he can hook you up.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Those O-rings work perfecty.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

SBC Valve Seals

The orings do work. They are installed after you have the spring and retainer on the valve, not before. Otherwise you will cut or move the oring out of its slot.

You can use the umbrella type as mentioned, but you must machine the outside of the valve guide to accept that seal. It takes a special tool to do that.

MP
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
            The orings do work. They are installed after you have the spring and retainer on the valve, not before. Otherwise you will cut or move the oring out of its slot.

MP
            How do you figure getting that seal on the valve stem after the spring and retainer on Mike?

All of them I've installed didn't fit in a groove, they just fit around the stem.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

These valves have a groove.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Yeah, your right. It's been a while since I rebuilt a head on an older Chevy.

They don't look like they'll work but they do. I had the same thought when I first encountered them 35 or 40 years ago.
                Last edited by BA80; 09-19-2014, 05:40 PM.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

You just push the spring/retainer down further until the groove is visible and slip the oring into the groove. Install the keepers and you are ready for the next one. Viola!

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  How do you figure getting that seal on the valve stem after the spring and retainer on Mike?

All of them I've installed didn't fit in a groove, they just fit around the stem.
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

The seal is below the keepers though.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Seals

Yes, there are two grooves in the valve stem - lower one is for seal, upper one is for keepers/locks.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      The seal is below the keepers though.
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

It's not even necessary to compress the spring/retainer past that point to install the keepers so why do it and then have the retainer go up over the seal anyway?
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                        X