Updated pictures on my build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated pictures on my build

Its still a work in progress but I recently added a boot to the drive shaft, I painted the engine and painted the tank to look old and rusty added new brake/turn light led strip as well as front turn signals with led bulbs I also adjusted the valve clearances and painted the exhaust and headers. I installed a horn in the front from a Suzuki, Also rewired all the electrical. Much more to do and I'll post as I do more.
    Future updates include creating and welding a small piece of sheet metal where the side covers would be and paint them and install an arcade button as the electric start. The bike design is an inspiration of Mad Max meets Tron with the LED and lines. Like oldschool meets new school.
    Last edited by MichaelisEvolving; 08-18-2014, 12:26 PM.
    79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Cool bike. What are the forks from?
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
      Cool bike. What are the forks from?
      From a 2006 Suzuki GSXR if I remember correctly.
      79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

Created a frame for my arcade button electric start, painted the metal frame and did the electrical. Now my arcade button is installed.

Comment

Looking really nice but don't you need a larger diameter front disc? Looks like the caliper is grabbing only the outer half of the disc?
          XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
          MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
          Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
          Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
          Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
          Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
            Looking really nice but don't you need a larger diameter front disc? Looks like the caliper is grabbing only the outer half of the disc?
            Good eyes. One disk alone is a death sentence let alone half of one disk
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I probably do, I've been fixing and renovating the things I know need it or that I've wanted to change, what size front disc do you think I need. That's just the one that came on the bike, it's been stopping decently with this, and some have said I need 2 front discs because the forks are from a GSXR.

Comment

My guess is 320 instead of the 298 you have now, looking at the pictures

Was it a 600, 750 or 1000 GsXR?

Comment

My guess is 320 instead of the 298 you have now, looking at the pictures

Was it a 600, 750 or 1000 GsXR?
                  It was a 2006 600.

Comment

Not sure as I see lotsa contradictions when googling: 310 and 320mm...

Just go for the Brembo 320mm as mounted on several fzr/yzf Yamaha's and lotsa Italo bikes with the same inner diameter and bolt radius as your own disc. If the new disc is too large buy these:

If the new disc is not centered in the caliper buy these:

Comment

Not sure as I see lotsa contradictions when googling: 310 and 320mm...

Just go for the Brembo 320mm as mounted on several fzr/yzf Yamaha's and lotsa Italo bikes with the same inner diameter and bolt radius as your own disc. If the new disc is too large buy these:

If the new disc is not centered in the caliper buy these:

You happen to have an eBay or website I can check out for purchasing?

Comment

Those things on eBay cost half the amount I paid for my bike. Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelisEvolving View Post
                          Those things on eBay cost half the amount I paid for my bike. Hahaha
                          Well, you started the conversion, not me It all has to do with safety, it is your life. These spacers however can easily be made by someone with a lathe. But you have to realise that you can't keep riding like this; if the brake pads wear down, there comes a moment they will touch each other outside the disc (that part does not wear down). At that moment you can squeeze as hard as you want, the bike won't stop.

Comment

Well, you started the conversion, not me It all has to do with safety, it is your life. These spacers however can easily be made by someone with a lathe. But you have to realise that you can't keep riding like this; if the brake pads wear down, there comes a moment they will touch each other outside the disc (that part does not wear down). At that moment you can squeeze as hard as you want, the bike won't stop.
                            He's right, I would take the pads back out and remove the pad material not making contact with the rotor.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

Comment

My question would be is there a cheaper disc that size? I want to be safe but if it costs that much, might as well save up and buy a new bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X