Tow Truck Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Truck Motorcycle

Sometimes you wanna go cross country and take a cage along for when you get to your destination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJGGqsm0Fc

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

I hope there are auxiliary brakes on those dolly wheels.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I believe I remember seeing one of these or similar at The International Towing & Recovery Hall of Fame & Museum, Inc.

The museum is well worth the price of admission.
      The International Towing & Recovery Hall of Fame & Museum, Inc.
      3315 Broad Street
      Chattanooga, TN 37408
      (423) 267-3132
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I'm curious about the tranny, engine, etc., and their longevity with the drag.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Greg, here's a pic of the brakes

79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            horizontally opposed 6 cyl engine should be able to handle the load just fine
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              It might not matter. It was apparent to me that they replace vehicles in Japan after a very short while.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

I would think if ever there was a need for a bike to "go to the dark side", it would be one like that!
                I bet those wings go through rear tires fast.

But that is cool, John!

I also noticed the support tire under the hitch beam.
                (To reduce the tongue weight from the bike's suspension.)
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Since only California (to date) allows that type of lane splitting it would technically be against the law to get to a broke-down cage like that.

Interesting idea...wonder what the 'folded-in" weight is like on the back of that Honda. I would think it would make the ride a bit top-heavy as well as rear-end heavy, must be interesting to ride with all that weight behind the rear axle.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    Since only California (to date) allows that type of lane splitting it would technically be against the law to get to a broke-down cage like that.

Interesting idea...wonder what the 'folded-in" weight is like on the back of that Honda. I would think it would make the ride a bit top-heavy as well as rear-end heavy, must be interesting to ride with all that weight behind the rear axle.
                    Might be one of the few Wings that will wheelie!
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

You know I'd like to find a 2 to 3 mile long sweeping 25% downhill grade 50 mile per hour speed limit with a curve coming into a blind stop sign left or right turn only and then see what the driver thinks of this contraption. Now if someone out there that does not see an issue then maybe you can be at the stop sign waiting to go.
                      Seriously the biggest issue with this is the gross difference in weight. In a challenging situation that car will toss the bike anywhere it wants. The design not only should be to get something done it should be to get things done in all conditions safely. My issue is on flat land driving slow it works but making it legal in any sense enables an idiot to use it in situations that are very dangerous.
                      I had about 1000 lbs. on a 4X8 trailer going down hill where sand had been spread previously for ice and a medium size pickup and thought I'd never stop it in fact I may have been 10 miles per hour under at the top but certainly was way above limit at the bottom. If I had to really stop I couldn't have. All breaking tended to lift the rear of the truck reducing braking effect.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                        You know I'd like to find a 2 to 3 mile long sweeping 25% downhill grade 50 mile per hour speed limit with a curve coming into a blind stop sign left or right turn only and then see what the driver thinks of this contraption.
                        I believe these things were designed for use in a very congested Tokyo. I know the video was not Tokyo (traffic drove on the right), but that is the intent. For that, it's perfect!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I'll agree with marty on this one. For getting to a broken down vehicle able to thread through backed up traffic where a normal tow truck couldn't reach. They're not talking about hooking up a car and going for a trip across the country here.
                          Ron, I take it you haven't got brakes fitted to your trailer behing your pickup, and putting 1000 lbs on an unbraked trailer is asking for trouble.

Just as a side note, I've experimented with using my bike trailer as a recovery unit, and fitted up with a custom channel ramp instead of the normal body, we used it to tow an 1100 Virago behind my XS for around 30 klms both down the motorway, and around suburbia as e trial run. It exhibited no problems either getting it moving off the line and up to 120 kph on the highway, and had no worries stopping either. My bike handled just the same as if I had a heap of gear in the normal body so it was no worries though the bendy bits either.
                          The ramp was a stepped design which helped to keep the centre of gravity lower with the rear wheel only about 6 inches off the ground, and the front wheel sitting on the drawbar.
                          The only reason that idea got scrapped was that I was worried about the whole rig tipping over if I hit a big bump on one side, due to the required 1 metre wide maximum axle width for trailers towed behind a motorcycle over here.
                          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                            I'll agree with marty on this one. For getting to a broken down vehicle able to thread through backed up traffic where a normal tow truck couldn't reach. They're not talking about hooking up a car and going for a trip across the country here.
                            Ron, I take it you haven't got brakes fitted to your trailer behing your pickup, and putting 1000 lbs on an unbraked trailer is asking for trouble.

Just as a side note, I've experimented with using my bike trailer as a recovery unit, and fitted up with a custom channel ramp instead of the normal body, we used it to tow an 1100 Virago behind my XS for around 30 klms both down the motorway, and around suburbia as e trial run. It exhibited no problems either getting it moving off the line and up to 120 kph on the highway, and had no worries stopping either. My bike handled just the same as if I had a heap of gear in the normal body so it was no worries though the bendy bits either.
                            The ramp was a stepped design which helped to keep the centre of gravity lower with the rear wheel only about 6 inches off the ground, and the front wheel sitting on the drawbar.
                            The only reason that idea got scrapped was that I was worried about the whole rig tipping over if I hit a big bump on one side, due to the required 1 metre wide maximum axle width for trailers towed behind a motorcycle over here.
                            Nothing new.......saw similar setup being demonstrated in use mounted on ST1300's in Europe several yrs. back. Used in emergencies to get vehicle in a safe area off motorways.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                            X