What's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it worth?

Hi y'all, long time no write. The past year has been a real drag. We should talk it out over some fermented barley and hops sometime. But things are starting to look up now.

Anyway, I'm kicking around the thought of selling my XJ and getting something modern. The NADA price guide says it worth a little over a grand, to which I sarcastically reply, "Bite me". I know it's old enough to buy its own beer, but it's in above average shape and has some good extras. Tell me what I can realistically expect:

1982 XJ 1100
    41K miles, factory X1 fairing, Chase Harper saddle bags, custom gel seat by Rich's in Seattle, Mac's 4/1 exhaust, passenger backrest, driving lights, individual air filters, Dynojet kit, owners manual, shop manual, misc parts. Many of you have seen it and (I hope) would agree that it's a decent bike.

Needs: Tires are at about 50%, and there is a very minor oil leak underneath, like the pan gasket or around the filter housing.

There's an outdated picture here. I'll get some newer ones posted soon.
    Last edited by gberg; 05-03-2004, 12:49 PM.

http://home.comcast.net/~GnVBerg

A thousand would be an insult to you. If anybody offers you less than $1500 telll them go away. Some one with a hankerin' for an XJ would gladly pay up to $17-1800 for it, especially if it's still in good shape. It all depends on the buyer, but take no less than $1500.

Comment

wow

if i could get 1000 for mine come and get it. can be had for 800 round here. but probly not quite as good of shape but still.If you can hold out for thay much i say by all means.look at merriam they want up to 9,000 for a bike, i,m sorry even though it may or maynot be like new they are still 25 years old
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Re: What's it worth?

Gary Berg wrote
        Hi y'all, long time no write. The past year has been a real drag. We should talk it out over some fermented barley and hops sometime. But things are starting to look up now.

Anyway, I'm kicking around the thought of selling my XJ and getting something modern.
        Nice to see you back here, Gary! IIRC, you went into computer science?

Of course, all pricing on older bikes depends on your local market. Unfortunately, I think the advice given so far is about right. As the years go by, more and more newer bikes are getting cheaper and keeping down the XS/XJ market.

About a month ago I walked away from a 2002 Bandit 1200 for $5k. New condition, but still $5k. There's nothing like having a bike that's paid for and the B12 would've required payments.

If you REALLY want the new(er) bike, take what you can get for the XJ and get on with riding the new one. Spring is a good time for selling a bike since more people are looking.

If you can't get a reasonable price, ride the XJ this year and look for your new bike in the off-season when prices are sometimes a little lower.

Happy Motoring!
        Bill K.
        1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
        1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

This thread caught my eye since I'm still on the lookout for an 80 Midnight. NADA top EXELLENT value lists at 1750. I'm sure not finding anyone willing to part with a mint one for that though! Guess my point is that I wouldn't use that NADA as a bible just more of a rough guide. Key to any of this stuff is to find the right person who really wants it & negotiate from there. I'm 51yo and it's been my experiance that it's always easier to buy stuff than sell. Looking for this elusive Midnight is making me rethink that philosophy though. Just my 2 cents. UD
          Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
          2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

UD,

I have an 81 Midnight, 20K, good runner, needs nothing, new tank paint, Maier cafe fairing, standard bars. Not cheap, but it could be had. Everything but my CJ-7, Wife, kids and dogs is for sale. Sometimes I wonder about the kids....
            '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

I guess I always fall back to Hi-Fi for reference, but it is the same with stereo equipment. Look at the "Blue Book" for a Dyna ST-70 (amplifier), and it will list around $100 or less. They actually trade at 2-5 times that amount. However, a real concern is that actual cash value could be less than an equivalent replacement. To get an amp better than the Dyna, you'll spend at least $1K. Would you actually get more bike if you bought a 1990 "brand X 1000"? I think you would need to be very particular about the cost/benefit ratio when replacing an XS. The "point of diminishing returns" and all... With everything considered, we are the most enlightened group in all motorcycledom! Or we spend the most on spare parts. I seem to have forgotten which. (!)
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000
              1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I took the two runts (in comparison to the 1100) out to LA with me last year. It's always a little hard getting rid of illegitimate children. You want the most I mean best for them, but what it comes down to is, you just gotta let it go. To me its more important to give em a good home than to make a few extra bucks.
                I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
                //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Originally posted by jkgrubbs
                  UD,

I have an 81 Midnight, 20K, good runner, needs nothing, new tank paint, Maier cafe fairing, standard bars. Not cheap, but it could be had. Everything but my CJ-7, Wife, kids and dogs is for sale. Sometimes I wonder about the kids....
                  Thanks for the offer but I've really got my heart set on a 1980. Probably sounds crazy but it's sort of a personal obsession.
                  Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

BTW, There's a 1981 Midnight on Cycle Trader with 7,500 mile located in WV. Guy has it listed for 5 GRAND!!! I called to make sure it wasn't a misprint & the wife said "oh no it's in wonderful shape" Wonder what price guide they're useing???? hahaha!

Jim
                    Still look'n
                    Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

Working...
                    X