Howdy from Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from Indiana

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself... the name's Jay and this site has already been a major help in getting my "new" 1980 XS1100G *back* on the road.
    I bought it back on the third and rode er home (~45 miles). Putted around town for a week or so, then decided that since there were no flare ups I'd take it 20 miles to the next town over for my Paramedic class. Whoops!

Downloaded the FSM and tore into the ignition system. Everything seemed to spec out okay (the secondary coils were high, but equal... so I assumed that they at least were good enough to support ignition). Everything was good so I moved to the pickup coil. As soon as I pulled off the side cover I saw a 10ga wire had been soldered and heat shrinked as a patch. I gently pulled on one of the pickup wires and it was just insulation. I cut out the solder and just butt spliced it together and it's back up and running. It has some odd issues, but runs and rides great for a bike as old as me.

Next up is to properly repair/replace the pickup coil and the turn signals (all bulbs are good and the switch seems to work, but the clicker won't even turn the bulbs on, but you can hear it engage.) Then I have a low end stutter/stumble.

I bought this bike, ahem, admittedly as a project for a trike... but for now I'm having WAY too much fun riding it around.

Thanks for having me!
    Big Jay
    1980 XS1100G

Welcome, Jay. Your new bike looks really good. Love the standard. My 'blinkers' didn't work correctly, and it was traced to a soldered contact in the switch that had become unsoldered. Others will chime in, but it might need tearing apart, cleaning, and fixing. You have a very cool bike, love it!
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

Wow! It looks like you scored a nice one! Welcome aboard!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        Wow! It looks like you scored a nice one! Welcome aboard!
        Thats a beautiful bike there...doubt your making it into a trike would come out any better than it already is...Trikes are for old fuddy duddys...LOL
        Welcome to CH11!
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

new

Nice looking bike. There are issues regarding triking an XS11. The shaft turns the opposite way an auto rear end rotates. I had thought of doing that also, but turning the auto rearend over, but found that the hypoid gears in the rear would whine running backwards. But, if you DO trike this wonderful machine, I would be very much interested in those saddlebags and their mounting and guard rails. Welcome to the most informative site on this globe.
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

Welcome!.......and a nice lookin' 80G ya' got there.
            If interested, it DOES have the Venturer's(81H) fairing, side cases/frame work and the carrier rack with the slider backrest. THAT backrest was the optional one offered thru Yamaha accessories back in the day. The taller tapered one with the attached zipper soft case came on the Venturer from factory. Have both for my Venturer.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

good looking bike

and welcome. Your on the right site to keep that beast running right.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

WELCOME, Jay!

If you want to know everything about the XS11, you've definitely come to the right place!

Nice G you have there!
                Marco

Current bikes:
                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                1979 Honda CBX
                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                X