Beat The Heat (AMA article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beat The Heat (AMA article)

This is an article from this months AMA magazine. It is good info for riding in the heat of summer and staying safe and healthy.
    Just sharing.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/magazin...Heat/index.asp
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Pretty good article.

Just because I am an opinionated type, and an experienced long-distance rider (in the HEAT), I’ll take issue with one point in the article, and emphasize one I think they did not hit on enough.

Sun-Screen and helmets:
    They warn you to be sure and put sunscreen on your face (in the sidebar on the first page). Be very cautious with this. If you are wearing a full-face helmet, the fumes from some recently applied sunscreens in a confined place have been known to cause severe eye-irritation, up to and including temporary blindness. That you do not need at 70 MPH. Also the cheaper sunblocks can run with your sweat and if it gets in the eye, causes immediate problems (from experience).

Go very light with the sunscreen on your face if wearing a full-face, and keep your visor cracked so the fumes do not accumulate. I will also state that a tinted face-shield if at all practical to carry/change is indispensable. I use one for long-distance desert riding, and never need sunscreen on my face (you still need good sunglasses).

I will also plug a product here—Bullfrog sports (spritz type) 36 Sunblock is the best I have ever used. Goes on pretty nice (spritz on and is not creamy or terribly oily), does not run with sweat, and lasts all day. Even in desert sun on bare arms at 80 mph. I have never needed to apply it more than once. No connection yada yada. I have used lots of different ones, and none has even come close to this . . .

Hydration:
    They warn you about drinking plenty of water, but only touch briefly on the electrolyte issue. They advise that you might need a sports drink or a salty snack.

Take this seriously folks. Really. If you are traveling on a MC in the heat and sun (and especially in dry air) you are loosing water at an amazing rate, both by sweating and breathing. You actually cannot drink enough water to remain hydrated, you have to have begun before the ride, and will be charging up afterward.

The other serious issue with this is that you can drink too much water, causing water toxicity as blood salt levels drop due to the sweating. Introducing an excessive amount of water into the digestive tract will actually leach more salts/electrolytes out of your system into the gut. This can actually kill you. Salty snacks, sports drinks, and even things like Diet Cokes (lots of sodium) can help. Caffeine is a diuretic, but not to the degree that would cause problems in this situation. I speak from experience and training.

Do drink lots of water, but also pay attention to electrolyte. Eat salty snacks, drink a soda occasionally, and pay attention.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
    X