Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam on Craigslist

Hi Everyone,

Just found out that an ad on Craigslist turned out to be scam. The ad was for a motorhome, not a bike, but a scam just the same. The point is - be careful on Craigslist and Ebay. Never respond to an ad on either site when you are asked to wire transfer money. This is outside of both sites' policies.

In this instance they were "caught" before anyone lost any money.

The ad number is 4390020641.

MP
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

My wife and I saw a nice Camaro on Craig's list. The seller responded to our e-mail messages. They had the story the seller got sent to service in Iraq.

Then they wanted to ship the car instead of pick it up because he was overseas....they wanted a wire transfer....could there be any more red flags?

When we asked a few more questions...POOF!. It disappeared.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

When we were looking for a place to rent before we moved to Indiana we were looking some on craigslist for houses to rent. About half of the places we found on there and sent messages to in order to ask some questions and try and set up a showing ended up being scams.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Scams

I think the immediate red flag in any dealings with unknown people is wire transfer. It would be such a disappointment to send money and receive absolutely nothing in return on top of likely never getting your money back.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
          I think the immediate red flag in any dealings with unknown people is wire transfer. It would be such a disappointment to send money and receive absolutely nothing in return on top of likely never getting your money back.
          Most definitely on the wire transfer ...

Please, everyone, be very careful on Ebay and Craigslist, especially Craigslist ...

If something smells fishy, it's probably best to walk away.
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

You think it is tough buying on craigslist, try selling there. The first day your inbox gets blown up with scammers. It is amazing how many people in our military stationed overseas wanted to buy my 1999 Toyota Camry with 123,000 miles on it. But, of course they could not come to see it, they just needed my paypal, or my bank account to wire the money to. Then their best friends cousin's uncle twice removed would be right over to get the car.

I basically ignore and delete the first day of email unless they have changed the subject line on anything I sell on craigslist.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              You think it is tough buying on craigslist, try selling there. The first day your inbox gets blown up with scammers. It is amazing how many people in our military stationed overseas wanted to buy my 1999 Toyota Camry with 123,000 miles on it. But, of course they could not come to see it, they just needed my paypal, or my bank account to wire the money to. Then their best friends cousin's uncle twice removed would be right over to get the car.

I basically ignore and delete the first day of email unless they have changed the subject line on anything I sell on craigslist.
              And then the real people that do contact you always try to low ball you so low that it is almost an insult. Then they tell you that they are going to come look at it at such and such a time and you rearrange your schedule to accommodate and they no show. Then the small percentage that actually show up to look at the item make you question your own sanity for even considering selling on craigslist.

I was selling some rims once and eventually the people that bought them showed up in minivan, at first only 4 people got out. As they got out I could sell a very strong aroma of weed. Then as I looked at their clothes more, every piece of clothing I can see has a picture or the name Jesus Malverde (patron saint of criminals and drug traffickers, aka "The Narco Saint") on it, even had a little bobble head of him stuck on the dash. They ask if they can try on on their car and I agreed. We agree on a price and they pull out this HUGE wad of cash and hand me a couple bills out of it (had to be at least a grand but most likely more). After he pays me he went and opened the door and Saud something in Spanish, suddenly a dozen more people with floor jacks and tools poured out of that van like a NASCAR pit crew jumping over the wall and swapped out the rest of the rims in about 2 seconds flat. I was left waiting for the guy with the big gas can to get out of the van.....
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Wire transfer and Western Union = no transaction, for me.

One thing to watch when selling vehicles and accepting Paypal..which I never do...is that the buyer has 45 days to file a Paypal dispute for 'item not as described' or even 'item not delivered'. If you sell a vehicle and accept payment by Paypal, with the buyer collecting, you have no proof that you delivered the goods. It's a common scam on Paypal. How do you prove that they had the item when they collected it? Even a receipt often doesn't satisfy Paypal. Also, the buyer can wreck your bike engine and then file a dispute for 'goods not as described'. Paypal nearly always rule in favour of the buyer, not the seller. There have been many instances here in the UK of pele buying a vehicle, paying by Paypal, taking the vehicle away and then the seller finding it was a Paypal account opened with a stolen credit card. They take the money back off you, return it to the legitimate card holder, and you've lost your vehicle.

Basically, if selling a vehicle, I would never accept Paypal. Cash on collection only. Or cleared funds by cheque before allowing the vehicle to be taken away.
                Last edited by James England; 03-27-2014, 03:39 AM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I had a friend that had aggreed to meet a guy half way to buy a Harley. He wanted me to take my truck and trailer and we were to meet at a park and ride in nothern West Virginia at about 8:00PM. I started asking questions and decided I wasn't going. He was to meet the guy from an ad off Craigslist and pay 7500 Cash at this time of evening. Had never talked on the phone had no address etc etc. My comment to him was stupid is as stupid does but me and my truck ain't going no where. Seems he couldn't find anyone to go get it for him. I felt it was a good way to get killed. So I agree with guys here be careful with any ad when you hear anything funny. Every so often I've heard on the news where someone gets killed for something as simple as a stupid Iphone in the same type of meet.
                  To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                  1980 G Silverbird
                  Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                  1198 Overbore kit
                  Grizzly 660 ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Springs
                  R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                  122.5 Main Jets
                  ACCT Mod
                  Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                  Antivibe Bar ends
                  Rear trunk add-on
                  http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

That seems to be a trend as well. No one comes to your house to see the vehicle. They wantbto meet at a neutral location. Me, I want to see the vehicle start from cold if possible.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Well, when I sold a few bikes, I was hesitant for the buyer to see the gold mine of other bikes in my mom's garage and possibly have her robbed. So, I rolled the bike down the street to a cul-de-sac and had all papers ready.
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                      X