There Should Be a Law... Warning Chopper Gore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Should Be a Law... Warning Chopper Gore

If you can't spell, you can't chop. And, if you can't even finish your #*@#*& franken-bike project you should have to return it to stock.

At least the poor thing was spared from the soooo creative and badddd asssszzz flat black spray-bomb apocalypse.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4356855581.html
    Living to EXcess.
    1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
    Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
    1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Why wouldn't it come with the wheels?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

he wants to keep them for his next big project, lol
      Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Gimmie that tank!

Also, did he rake the neck???
        78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
        79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Oh, I thought that was your bike Gabe . . .
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            Oh, please. Compared to some of the easy-bake oven garbage that rolls through craigslist, I'd call my "mods" relatively sane.
            79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              hahaha good one Ian
              Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Who would trust their lives to a Craigslist rake job?

Or an XS1100 Bobber (OMG!! It's flat black! How rare!) with no front brakes...

But don't worry, the wisdom of Craigslist posters tells us that:

The rotors from the Special have less then 5,000 miles on them and the Standard have about 20,000. But hardly anyone uses the front brakes, so they are good for many mores miles.
                BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA....
                Living to EXcess.

Comment

99% of these people "mod" these bikes so they are unridable and/or unrepairable. Make it "theirs". Then, they can't ride it or are unable to make it run and on craigslist it goes.

That's a $100 parts bike now, only because of the tank and engine.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Exactly. Even though I'm not into the look, I have no problem with a well done, good lookin, rideable chop job, but please, don't destroy a perfectly good bike if you can't follow through.

I think a lot of these guys also think there's bucks to be made with 5 minutes of rattle can and a sawzall. They have each other's overpriced Craigslist ads and unrealistic reality shows to egg them on. The fact is there's only a few, well connected very talented people making money at this and the vast majority lose money on most speculative projects.

People who want custom bikes who have deep enough pockets to afford it are not cruising Craigslist for their next bike.
                    Living to EXcess.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange4 View Post
                      Exactly. Even though I'm not into the look, I have no problem with a well done, good lookin, rideable chop job, but please, don't destroy a perfectly good bike if you can't follow through.

I think a lot of these guys also think there's bucks to be made with 5 minutes of rattle can and a sawzall. They have each other's overpriced Craigslist ads and unrealistic reality shows to egg them on. The fact is there's only a few, well connected very talented people making money at this and the vast majority lose money on most speculative projects.

People who want custom bikes who have deep enough pockets to afford it are not cruising Craigslist for their next bike.
                      I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most don't understand the cost involved in owning a vintage bike let alone making into something new. I know when I started this that I didn't fully understand how the cost of parts, paint, time, tools, etc was all going to play out. Once I started going down that rabbit hole I had no idea how deep it was going to get. People just buy these vintage bikes with their tax return, hack them to pieces on a "project", blow what little savings they have, and then give up a few months down the line. Now I know what it really costs to do a project right and it has really changed how I evaluate a new buy.

There isn't any money to be made here unless you walk into it with a plan, a good idea of what the market for it is going to be, enough cash on hand to see it through, and the experience to not cause more problems than you solve. The most money I ever made on a bike was my FZR600 which I bought in the fall and sold in the spring having done nothing to it...
                      Last edited by D0wn5h1ft; 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Exactly. Just like any business, It takes a big investment in equipment, and marketing just to get off the ground. Then you have to be able to keep it all afloat, make customers happy, keep projects going. Even that TV chopper guy who's bikes go for $50,000 is having a hard time keeping his business in the black.

Custom automotive is tough. Knowing and keeping customers with deep pockets is the only way to survive. Hard work.

Then again, it's probably a lot more rewarding than most jobs.
                        Living to EXcess.

Comment

$400? Please...... How about nonchopped 86 VT750 Magna?

My brother in law in Sacramento bought THIS on Craigslist the other day for $300 (he has a like new seat, just was not on when pic taken). 26k miles

Garage kept. Sellers Dad owned it and had a stroke. He took carbs off to clean and then had stroke. Everything is there.

He has such luck finding CL deals. I hate him.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I hate him too. Oooooooo, do I hate him.

Awesome find.
                            Living to EXcess.

Comment

Fyi

The exhaust in the chopper ad is an RC Performance 4 into 1.

Russ Collins was the only one to have 1-3/2-4 setup

Here's a link to ebay with an RC for a Honda:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1981-198...r#ht_481wt_662

All other 4 into 1 pipes have 1-4/2-3 setup.

If that was close to me I'd have it for parts.
                              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X