Coker/Firestone Tire Reputation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coker/Firestone Tire Reputation

I've noticed that a lot of hipsters building cafe racers/bobbers nowadays are putting these Coker Firestone tires on to tie in their "vintage" flannel-wearing look. All the older guys give them all kinds of crap for putting them on saying the tires don't perform well and that they're choosing looks over functionality. My question is, why do these tires have such a bad reputation? What makes them so sub-standard as a tire choice. I've heard things about raingrooves or something but I haven't been able to nail down a conclusive explanation for why they are supposedly so bad.

78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Heh heh... You should go over to a Hot Rod site and hear all the complaints about Coker tires; out of round, hard to balance, poor wear, etc... and expensive.

Besides the fact that Coker has a real quality-control problem, this is a reproduction tire and just doesn't have the improvements in tread/casing design and materials that have occurred in the last 40+ years. If you have to have that 'vintage' look, that's your tire, just don't expect anywhere close to the same performance.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

They look pretty cool. I'll give you that, but they won't perform like modern rubber.

I once transported a Packard Hawk over 1000 miles by driving it. It had bias ply tires and a very skinny steering wheel. That thing wore me out! We've come a long way baby!

Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

these tires will follow every seam or crack in the road..riding at speed they will dogtrack at times wich can be a little un nerving
        81 SH gifted to SON

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          They look pretty cool. I'll give you that, but they won't perform like modern rubber.

I once transported a Packard Hawk over 1000 miles by driving it. It had bias ply tires and a very skinny steering wheel. That thing wore me out! We've come a long way baby!

Dang that's a cool car Marty...looks like a Studebaker as well...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Packardbaker!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              Packardbaker!
              interesting the 2 companies must have merged or did a joint venture....more info...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studeb...rd_Corporation
              Last edited by madmax-im; 03-21-2014, 04:02 PM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
              X