Com gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Com gear

Most of the time I ride with a friend and in pretty close proximity. I was thinking some type of bike to bike system might be nice to improve communications between us and make the longer ride segments more fun. I wear a RF1000 Shoei. Any suggestions on which system to buy?
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

I think it may have been Sparkfly whom own's "Excelsior", posted a review on a Sena BT headset comm device. I looked into BT systems for my helmet, Blinc being one of them. I just want it for music over wearing earbuds.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39437
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        I think it may have been Sparkfly whom own's "Excelsior", posted a review on a Sena BT headset comm device. I looked into BT systems for my helmet, Blinc being one of them. I just want it for music over wearing earbuds.
        Dangerous. I would never be caught wearing headphones or listening to music while riding. Having been almost hit at least three times last season by unaware drivers I can't imagine taking away another sense. Hearing a car before you see it might be the difference for me and I'd hate to get smoked because I'm wearing earbuds. (not that I can hear anything over my straight pipes anyways). Not claiming to be a champion of safety or anything like that because I do dangerous stuff all the time in the name of fun (like riding with no helmet in shorts, no shirt with unlaced boots doing wheelies)
        78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
        79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

I'm 28 Yrs. old livin' life with earbuds. Bug-off old man! In all seriousness though, I agree. But . . . I love music, and it's not cars I'm worried about, it's engine noise I want to hear from a 35-year old engine. I want to hear a strange noise before it's too late. I ran a 650 almost bone-dry from an oil leak. Heard the ticking and shut it down before real harm was done. If you have eyes, MIRRORS, and good observation and reaction skills, noise is lower on the totem pole. Same argument can be made for those whom wear earplugs. I rode many times without a helmet and felt much more aware of my surroundings. But, I also thought about what a dead man I was if I went down.
          Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            I'm 28 Yrs. old livin' life with earbuds. Bug-off old man!
            You runnin' with Murph kid ?
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Lmfaoooo. I couldn't resist . . .
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

I'm not looking to listen to music or talk on the cell phone, hell that's one of the reasons I ride is to get away from that stuff. Just want to be able to talk to my partner on his bike over there, something like " hey Waynne look out for the Qtip over there in the Buick or here comes those Hardley riders we dusted on the last 3 stop lights guess they really are slow in more than one way
                wingnut
                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Sena Intercom seems to be a popular choice, and can link several together.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If it is just for short casual conversation have you ever thought about the cheap GMRS or FRS walkie talkie type radios?
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Wingnut,
                      I use a Scala Rider G9 Powerset, and it's got the longest intercom range out there. Terrific intercom, and works up to a mile away, line of sight.

They just came up with the Q3 set, which will also allow you to music share with a passenger from one audio source. It's less pricey.

I had some issues with my G9 working with my older Android Motorola phone, but have no issues now that I have an Iphone 5S. Works well.

The G4 set is another good choice, less expensive... Just won't link up with as many riders, and the range is not quite as good as a G9. Still a good choice.

I also have heard good things about the Sena, but no experience with them.

One advantage with Scala is it is compatible with all models they make, and will also intercom with the C3 helmets, as well.

One thing I have learned about intercoms... They sometimes can really save you, when riding with others. Lead guy sees a hazard, and can warn the guy (s) behind him.

Or... If you suddenly need to pull over or stop for gas or anything... Big help.
                      Plus, they help make the time pass on long trips.

If short range intercom with one person, and occasional cell phone use is all you're looking for... Scala makes an entry-level pair that works very well and is very reasonably priced.
                      Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 03-16-2014, 06:28 PM.
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Here in Georgia, ear buds are not legal. Helmet speakers are legal for communication purposes only.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Oh, also...
                          Their new Q3 set also has a quarter-mini stereo jack on the unit to plug your own earbuds into, if you choose to go that way...
                          Or helmet speakers that comes with it.

Another thing about the G9... It has the most volume and best audio speakers.
                          The G4's not quite as good.

G9 lets you link up with up to 8 other intercom users that also use Scala.

G9 does not have the jack- helmet speakers only...
                          (Unless you send it out and have it modified, as some of my buddies have.)

I figured I would have to do that when I bought mine, but found it sounds just fine through the speakers. Trick is, to use layers of velcro to space the speakers close to your ears, and get them properly positioned in the helmet in relation to your ears. Do that, and the sound is great, with more volume than you can stand.

I like not having to deal with earbuds anymore! Just take the helmet off and go.
                          Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

One more tidbit about the G9,

It's an either/or type situation... But has priority levels built in.

In other words, when you're on intercom with someone, that's it... Can't duplex music in between talking.

Yet, if you're on intercom, and get a call, it disconnects from the intercom to give you phone call priority. When you hang up, it goes back to intercom.

It also has Rider A and Rider B functions.
                            I have my buddy setup on Rider A, and my GF's on Rider B, then if all three of us are riding together, we can all talk.

I have the ability to pair mine with my phone, she can pair hers with her phone.
                            I have my music library to listen to, she has hers.
                            She can get or make calls separately, and so can I.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                            X