Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

Hi all,
    I own a 1981 xs1100 special that has not been operated in a few years although I did drain the carbs and gas tank prior to storing it. I bought it thinking I wanted a old school powerhouse but after a few miles decided it was just to big and heavy for me. It has been garaged but is a bit rough visually. I have decided I will never ride it again and it needs to go to make room for my KLR with DMC enduro sidecar.
    My open question is what is the best way to sell it. Do I part it out, sell it as is, get it started once again (should not be too hard) or simply haul it to the nearest m/c junk yard?
    I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.
    Bob Gibson
    Hamilton, Montana

If you can get it running decently, that will at least double it's value if the cosmetics are reasonably good. Typical values are $1-1.5K for a 'nice' running bike, non-runners will usually max out at about $500 if the cosmetics are good and it's complete. Originality counts too; non-stock exhausts/seats/etc generally don't help value.

Try posting it in the 'bikes for sale' forum here (with pics; they really help) and go from there....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Truth be told, if the chrome is in decent condition on the parts, it is worth more in parts than as a whole bike. That being said, I prefer they get sold as a whole bike.

Running bikes are always going to fetch a lot more than a non runner.

Simplest and quickest way to get the best money is to get it running and sell it as a whole bike.

Yard will give you maybe $50 for it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by gibcott View Post
        Hi all,
        I own a 1981 xs1100 special that has not been operated in a few years although I did drain the carbs and gas tank prior to storing it. I bought it thinking I wanted a old school powerhouse but after a few miles decided it was just to big and heavy for me. It has been garaged but is a bit rough visually. I have decided I will never ride it again and it needs to go to make room for my KLR with DMC enduro sidecar.
        My open question is what is the best way to sell it. Do I part it out, sell it as is, get it started once again (should not be too hard) or simply haul it to the nearest m/c junk yard?
        Bob Gibson
        Hamilton, Montana
        Contact some members near you, one of them may be interested. Here's some located near you.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6321

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6317
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Please don't just send it to the junkyard - if anything, at least let the XSives here take a look at it;

Show us the bike in the "For Sale" forum - someone here just might be interested!

You can always part it out later if that is the only option left ...
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by gibcott View Post
            Hi all,
            Bob Gibson
            Hamilton, Montana
            Hi Bob,
            Gawd knows at my age I ain't got the bottle to ride my SG solo any more.
            Rather than sell it off you could build the XS11 Special into a high speed sidecar rig for use on roads where your enduro rig just won't go fast enough to keep up with the traffic.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

This site

is primarliy here to help riders preserve these mechanical wonders. None of us like to see them torn down and sold as as pieces. If you can get it running, as Steve said it's worth more. If you can't, post it here and ask for help from a member close by. I would urge you to give it another ride before you pass it a death sentence. These are wonderful bikes and probably the most versitile of any bike you'll ever get a chance to ride. If I was closer I'd take it off your hands but I already have four bikes and one wife. Next step is five bikes and no wife.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                Lots of information to process. I will be digging the bike out from several years of accumulated stuff at the back of the garage as soon as we get a few days of consecutive sunlight. I will post a few pictures and a classified advertisement with a low "as is" price. As the spring progresses, I may try to fix it to the point of riding it for a bit.
                As a note to Fred, setting it up as a hack is one of my daydreams and that may come true, who knows. It is the only way I could ever really enjoy riding it again as I never recovered all my strength after cancer surgery.
                Sorry for the salvage yard crack, I was feeling a bit down last week. I would give it to the kid next door before a yard got it.
                The only reason to break it up would be to help resurrect several other worthy bikes.
                Thanks to all who responded,
                Bob

Comment

Pictures and Classified

The bike has seen the sun for the first time in 3 years. I rolled it out of the garage today to take pictures.
                  I posted the bike on the local Craigslist at $600.00 and priced it to our members classified at $400.00. http://missoula.craigslist.org/mcy/4390405637.html I posted it to craigslist to be able to show you all some pictures. I will answer any questions or take specific pictures upon request.
                  Bob

Comment

It's pretty. I expect it will go fast.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

If it were closer to Great falls I'd probably pull the trigger on it, (...because my wife says I should have two projects taking up the garage of course (don't ask her, she'll pretend like she would never say that....bi-polar is my guess)). I'd still have to figure out how to import it into Alberta, but my other one was a good find for under $500, would probably be well worth it.
                      81 H "Traumaha"
                      06 KLR 650
                      06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                      05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                      78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                      79 RD400 (Stolen)
                      78 KE175
                      Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Man, take a drive through the mountains and go get it.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                          It's pretty. I expect it will go fast.

...in more ways than one!
                          -Mike
                          _________
                          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Hi Bob,
                            I was wondering about your comment regarding the bike being too big and heavy for you, now I understand. I'm not a big guy and have normal strength and moving these 600lbs. bikes around can be a bit taxing especially if either of you lose your balance.
                            But I assure you that once you get going down the road that weight of the bike disappears. For old technology, these are very well mannered machines. Balanced to the point of being flickable given the right speeds.
                            Any way, enough of this. What I'm trying to say is, get it going and give it a chance. I don't think you'll regret it.
                            Get well and get strong.
                            1980G Standard, Restored
                            Kerker 4 - 1
                            850 Rear End Mod
                            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                            Automatic CCT
                            1980GH Special, Restored
                            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Bike sold

Thanks to all. I sold the bike to a Missoula local with lots of big bike time who was looking for a project bike. I turned him on to this web site. Look for a new owner in Montana. He is an industrial electrician with a mechanical background. I feel confident he will treat the bike with the care it deserves.
                              Thanks again to all who took the time to read my posts.
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X