Considering a change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a change

Last year i purchased a 1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane. Love the bike, but it has become appearant that the riding position, while not like a crotch rocket, is not going to fit me. My legs, and hip cannot take the bike for more than about two hours. I am considering selling her, and putting the money into my MNS. The problem is, i will be modifing the bike. Handle bars go, stock shocks go, stock turn signals go, tank goes, front springs go, airbox goes, and hopefully the exhaust goes. At this point i am attempting to modify the riding position on the Honda to accomodate me. I will make a final decision after my trials. The good news is that nothing will be modified, that cannot be put back. I will save the parts for now, with the exception of maybe the black chrome exhaust. I am going to attempt to make the bike more stable in the corners, and easier to work on, and not so bulky. I hate to go through this mod, but when you are like a trex with short arms and legs, it causes a problem fitting any bike. The only bike i have found that i can flatfoot, is a damn Hardley. Even a little TW200 is to tall. Depending on how this turns out, i may end up selling all the parts i take off, so be ready for maybe some MNS parts.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Sell the MNS whole and buy a beater to modify.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
      Last year i purchased a 1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane. Love the bike, but it has become appearant that the riding position, while not like a crotch rocket, is not going to fit me. My legs, and hip cannot take the bike for more than about two hours. I am considering selling her, and putting the money into my MNS. The problem is, i will be modifing the bike. Handle bars go, stock shocks go, stock turn signals go, tank goes, front springs go, airbox goes, and hopefully the exhaust goes. At this point i am attempting to modify the riding position on the Honda to accomodate me. I will make a final decision after my trials. The good news is that nothing will be modified, that cannot be put back. I will save the parts for now, with the exception of maybe the black chrome exhaust. I am going to attempt to make the bike more stable in the corners, and easier to work on, and not so bulky. I hate to go through this mod, but when you are like a trex with short arms and legs, it causes a problem fitting any bike. The only bike i have found that i can flatfoot, is a damn Hardley. Even a little TW200 is to tall. Depending on how this turns out, i may end up selling all the parts i take off, so be ready for maybe some MNS parts.
      Come buy my bike when the tank and side covers come back from paint . But really though, I feel your pain. I'm not short by any means (5'10", I guess that's short to some) and I hate how high up I was on the stock seat and 12" shocks. Part of my mod was trying to make this behemoth more manageable, that's why I put virago shocks (11.5" $40) and that 883 sportster seat on it which dropped it down even further. Bike feels great now and I don't feel like I'm about to tip over at low speeds or at the stop light anymore.
      78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
      79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

You might want to look for a '82 XJ. A number of changes were made to this bike from the XS to get a lower seating position, with the big one being about a 1" 'dip' in the upper framerails between the tank and rear shock mounts. Modify the seat foam for a bit more gain, then a slight lowering and you could gain up to 3" without compromising ride/handling too much.

The XS is a 'tall' bike and if you're 'height challenged' there's not a lot of choices out there.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

'84 and up Viragos are very managable for folks with shorter inseams.
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I second that ,Viragos are very low. ..
            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Im tall (6'4") but I still found the 11 to be overly tall. While working on my carbs I sat on the frame and found that to be exactly what I was looking for. Having the seat re-done dropped a lot of height off it.
              Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
              Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
              Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
              Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
              Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
              K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I am finding this height discussion interesting. I had a VN800, and a '91 K75, and I found the Kawasaki far more comfortable than the BMW. I am 6' 4 1/2'', but my legs are pretty long. I really like the uprightness of my F. Would be good if there was even more 'legroom' on it, though. I do have highway pegs that I took off, and can put them back on if I go on a long trip.
                79 F
                Previously owned: (among others)
                1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                1973 Suzuki TM 125
                1979 XS1100 F
                2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                1991 BMW K75

Comment

I went with TC Bros forward controls on mine. I really like them.
                  Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                  Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                  Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                  Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                  Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                  K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                  81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                    I am finding this height discussion interesting. I had a VN800, and a '91 K75, and I found the Kawasaki far more comfortable than the BMW. I am 6' 4 1/2'', but my legs are pretty long. I really like the uprightness of my F. Would be good if there was even more 'legroom' on it, though. I do have highway pegs that I took off, and can put them back on if I go on a long trip.
                    I suffer the same issue. My inseam is 36" and every bike is too short. Forward controls are out because my feet belong under my butt to help control the machine. The pegs can't go lower because they'll drag. What's bigger than an XS1100? I haven't found it.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Working...
                    X