Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 xs1100 high beam indicator light. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 xs1100 high beam indicator light. help!

Hi guys

I bought an 79 special last year that was stripped down of components (cluster paned, lights, gas tank..) and I am now in the final stages of completion of a fully custom cafe racer project. Iam having trouble finding the wires for the high beam indicator light. Ive been through the wiring diagrams and tried testing wires all day long but no success. Hopefully someone has some insight.
    79 SF "Cafe'd"

The high beam indicator on the center dash area? Or the blue dot one in the tachometer?

The white one on the dash center gets its signal form the RLU. If that component is not on your bike, then the wires to it will also be missing.

I do not have the wiring diagrams in front of me, but if your using stock gages and a stock harness, then the wire to the blue high beam indicator is in the connector to the tach.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hi
      Im using all aftermarket parts for gauges and lights. What Im trying to figure out is, what wires come from the RLU to make the dash indicator come on. ive tested every wire and combination of wires, nothing is making it light up. the yellow high beam wire shows a increase in voltage when you hit the high beam but is also hot when the high beam is off.
      79 SF "Cafe'd"

Comment

The high beam indicator light (that comes on when high beam is being used) is powered directly off the yellow wire going to the headlight.

The 'other' light comes from the RLU, but only comes on when the RLU senses a failure of either the high or low beam, whichever is in use.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

right, so then if the yellow is hot when the high beam is off then there is a problem with the RLU? i think i will just bypass that thing. thanks guys
          79 SF "Cafe'd"

Comment

Wiring Bypass:

Light Checker Unit : (79 Special only) Unplug unit and connect blu and blu/yel together at the harness plug.

Headlight Relay : Unplug unit and connect red/yel and blu/blk together at the harness plug.

Reserve Lighting Unit: Unplug unit and connect blu/blk and blu/yel together at the harness plug.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bradsegee View Post
              right, so then if the yellow is hot when the high beam is off then there is a problem with the RLU? i think i will just bypass that thing. thanks guys
              The high beam light has to be connected to the yellow after the headlight high-low switch. The yellow coming out of the RLU will be hot at all times if the RLU is working right.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...