Proof about what we allready know about Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof about what we allready know about Yamaha

Here is a report about what we allready know to be true, about our Yamaha's.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...money-can.aspx

Is Harley-Davidson the Worst Motorcycle Money Can Buy?
    By Rich Smith | More Articles
    February 17, 2014 | Comments (117)

Is Harley-Davidson (NYSE: HOG ) the worst motorcycle money can buy? Let's get this out of the way right now. No.

It's actually the second worst.

At least, according to Consumer Reports.

Long a recognized authority on automotive quality and value for your money in cars, Consumer Reports began branching out to reviewing motorcycles last year, publishing its first-ever report on the most reliable motorcycles from five of the biggest brands -- Harley, BMW (NASDAQOTH: BAMXY ) , Honda (NYSE: HMC ) , Kawasaki, and Yamaha. (Polaris' (NYSE: PII ) Victory and Indian brands had apparently not made enough of a dent in the market to attract CR's attention by the time of the survey.) What CR discovered from its research is that quality varies "significantly" among brands -- and the best brand, Yamaha, is about six times more reliable than the worst, BMW.

Only about one Yamaha bike in 10 has experienced a major problem or required a serious repair over the past four years, according to the 4,424 motorcycle owners surveyed by CR. In contrast, about one BMW motorcycle in three has suffered from such a complaint -- and one Harley in four.

Here's how the numbers break down:

(chart)Sorry wouldn't paste in here..

Subtler variations in vehicle reliability were found within brands as well. CR categorized them according to "class" of motorcycle, noting that touring motorcycles were most problematic, and cruisers the least. This may have something to do with the fact that, according to CR, "accessories" were the most common problems encountered with bikes. Touring bikes, being designed for comfort in long-distance travel, are likely to be outfitted with more bells and whistles than a standard motorcycle -- and therefore have more accessories on them that can break.

Again, the numbers:

(chart)Sorry wouldn't paste in here..

The good news here is that Consumer Reports says major, big-ticket repairs were few and far between in its research. Regardless of bike and regardless of brand, only about 3% of all problems reported to CR involved a motorcycle's engine, only 3% a transmission, and only 7% a clutch. More common were issues with a vehicle's brakes or electrical or fuel system, and, as already mentioned, with the accessories. Overall, CR noted that about 75% of the repairs reported to it were performed for $200 or less.

What it means to you
    That last fact, the low cost of repairing most motorcycle fix-its, may be the really important news for Harley-Davidson shareholders.

It may help to explain why -- Harley's weak performance on the survey notwithstanding -- CR says Harley owners remain the most brand-loyal of all motorcycle owners, with an astounding 75% saying yes, they'd buy a Harley again. The occasional small repair bill may simply be a price they're willing to pay for owning the most famous name in motorcycles. (And it probably doesn't hurt that Harley goes the extra mile to take care of its customers when an issue with one of its bikes does arise.)

In turn, the remarkable brand loyalty of Harley-Davidson customers may help to explain why, of the publicly traded motorcycle makers on the survey, Harley carries the highest price-to-earnings ratio, selling for nearly 20 times trailing earnings. Whether that P/E ratio can bear the scrutiny now that Consumer Reports has put a bull's-eye on Harley-Davidson, though, remains to be seen.
    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
    1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

IMO, the fact will remain that for those that HD is the ONLY brand to buy, it will remain the ONLY brand to buy no matter who says what about it. They are truly the most brand loyal flock I have ever known in all my years. Even a FORD or CHEVY guy will own an occasional Toyota or Chrysler product. Yes, even the MOPAR nuts are not as batty as the HD folks in my experiences.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Before this turns into a Harley bash-fest, there's one major difference between Harley and all the rest.... a miles-deep parts well.

That's both Harley's biggest failing and it's greatest strength; while they've been glacially slow to embrace new technology, the ability to interchange parts across multiple years and even models is something the rest can only dream about. And even where interchange doesn't work, you have dozens of aftermarket suppliers clamoring to supply you with whatever you want, with prices ranging from inexpensive to totally outrageous.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not recommending that everyone should run out and buy a Harley. All bikes have their faults and depending on the personal yardstick you use to measure a bike, that will determine what you buy.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

For the record, I did not, nor did I intend to bach HD bikes, since I have never owned one my only complaint about them is their price, way out of my league.

I was merely commenting on the level of brand loyalty among the mass quantity of folks who are fanatics about them.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          For the record, I did not, nor did I intend to bash HD bikes, since I have never owned one my only complaint about them is their price, way out of my league..
          I know you wouldn't...

But we do get newbies that don't get it sometimes....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

i wasn't aiming a joke at HD's, i was focusing on the positive!!

Yamaha's a Very good machines.

we all knew that, i just thought it was cool to see an article on it.

now, that being said, there is a 97 1200 sporty in the garage i've beeing working on (as money allowed) for 2 years now, it came in as a basket case(boxes)

and it is full assembled, and runs but turns out the bottom end needs a rebuild.

so.... i've never driven the thing more then 2 miles at a crack.. (test runs)

they are easy to work on!! but... this one seems to need it alot....
            i'm not a big fan.

now... if i could balance the crank shaft so that it made more power and accelerated faster, it could be a really nice bike..... hmmm...?
            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
            1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Yamaha reliability extends across their product line into ATVs and snowmobiles. Having owned a Harley I can say one of the reasons I switched is reliability over the long run.

I own two other Yamha toys, my Mountain Max 700 snowmobile and my Grizzly 550 ATV and have owned other Yamaha sports products in the past. One of the reasons is reliability; I get more fun out of riding these toys than wrenching on them. The report's finding only confirm what I already knew; Yamaha makes one of the more reliable products on the power sports market.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
              X