Uk prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uk prices

This getting to be the sort of price that people are asking for an XS here in the UK. Whether it sells is another thing. This is why I envy the US prices. I asked the seller why he thought "it would be a shame to restore it" but didn't really get an explanation. It's the sort of bike I'd love to restore but the cost of the restoration would exceed its value, at the asking price...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1411770003...84.m1423.l2648
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Well, at just a tick over $5k US, that is quite the price. However, it is a rather stellar bike! Assuming the bars and FD are correct for a Euro version 78 XS1100, realizing the rear flashers seem to be relocated, the bike is in very very nice condition.

So I am not sure what it would need for a restoration other than perhaps paint. In some circles it is much more valuable to have the original paint with some "patina" than to have a perfect condition repaint. So I could see his statement about a shame to restore it.

HERE is a link to the current values listed for a 78 XS1100 here in the US. The values have climbed this year. By these numbers my SG will be worth around $2500 to maybe $3000 when I get done as I would consider it to be in Very Good condition. Excellent Condition would be worth just under $4,200. Now, what will the market bear, that is an entirely different discussion. For me, my successful sales have been somewhere between the good and very good condition numbers, closer to very good. And that in the spring time when prices are at premium.

So as you say, what the bike sells for is yet to be determined.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

The flashers are in the correct position for the UK. The bike has quite a bit of rust when the pix are viewed in close up. Non-original shocks. OEM bars. OEM exhaust.

Personally, I'd prefer a full restoration on the bike. Replica decals are available here (missing from the seat nacelle) and OEM colour paint is available. Lots of re chroming necessary. Probably carb diaphragms and a good clean etc. £1000 could be spent easily.....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Beautiful bike to me, rust/no rust.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

It seems to be pitched right in the middle of the price range to me.

Click

There's one being bid on at the moment James, might be better option for you, though I thought you were a one bike man, getting rid of the XJR?

Theres another imported from the US for £1450, why would that not be better for resto?
          Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Same here in the netherlands, prices are going up and that red one has an ok pricetag in my opinion. I have seen lots of larger pictures and i agree there are nicer ones but overhere the OEM exhaust makes up for the biggest part of the price tag. I myself will no longer buy an XS without the OEM exhaust fitted (since i no longer have them hanging on the wall).

Here is my ex-black and gold one. Ex because someone OFFERED me 7000 euros ( I did not ask for that but he wanted it badly).

This one also was not restored. Only thing was that I fitted an OEM exhaust afterwards.
            There are still nice finds in europ but one has got to get used to the fact that the bikes are (finally) becoming more valuable now. And i must say it took a very long time when I look at Kawasaki H2/Z1/Z1300 and Honda CB(X) prices.

So maybe James and I must start importing those lovely US biked before they eventually have disappeared to Japan
            XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
            MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
            Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
            Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
            Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
            Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
              Same here in the netherlands, prices are going up and that red one has an ok pricetag in my opinion. I have seen lots of larger pictures and i agree there are nicer ones but overhere the OEM exhaust makes up for the biggest part of the price tag. I myself will no longer buy an XS without the OEM exhaust fitted (since i no longer have them hanging on the wall).

Here is my ex-black and gold one. Ex because someone OFFERED me 7000 euros ( I did not ask for that but he wanted it badly).

This one also was not restored. Only thing was that I fitted an OEM exhaust afterwards.
              There are still nice finds in europ but one has got to get used to the fact that the bikes are (finally) becoming more valuable now. And i must say it took a very long time when I look at Kawasaki H2/Z1/Z1300 and Honda CB(X) prices.

So maybe James and I must start importing those lovely US biked before they eventually have disappeared to Japan
              We have similar taste!

Last edited by James England; 02-01-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post

Click

There's one being bid on at the moment James, might be better option for you, though I thought you were a one bike man, getting rid of the XJR?

Theres another imported from the US for £1450, why would that not be better for resto?
                Yes, I've been watching that one. It was up at £1700 for 30 days but didn't sell. I prefer the look of the European version with black engine, no badges, different riding position, seat, gear linkage, so would want to try and get it looking like that.

Yeah..one bike man. But every monogamist is sometimes tempted to stray and have a 'bit on the side'! Re the XJR...no, I'd never sell it...I think it's just too awesome....30kg lighter than OEM, 129bhp at the rear wheel and so lovely to ride. But...I really do want a project, so I keep looking.

My bet is that that particular XS will not sell at that price. Photos tend to make bikes and other things look better than they really are too. If one were to restore it properly, it would mean frame respray, tank etc respray and decals, carb clean and rebuild, brakes, rechroming, wiring harness overhaul. It's also a relatively high mileage compared to others I've done. Not in itself a problem but a factor that brings associated things that need looking at. I spent £2,000 on the last restoration (frame paint was A1 though) and the starting point was roughly similar to that one and the bike had done 35,000 miles.

I couldn't live with 'patina' of any sort on a classic bike. Personally, I like to make them look like new and then surprise people when they find out how old it is!

Comment

Click

Thanks for the link, Tom. I just bid on one of them! I hope my 'wife' in the bike shed doesn't find out!

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    Thanks for the link, Tom. I just bid on one of them! I hope my 'wife' in the bike shed doesn't find out!
                    Hahahaha great... Good luck!
                    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                      Haha nice one.

As for the red XS, (macho maroon?) I know the owner and the bike, it is as good as it looks in the photos, as you say photos usually make bikes look better than in the flesh but in this case I think the camera has highlighted minor faults.

Yes I think if you want to do a full resto you'd need to paint the frame and once you have it down that far you'd do the rest too, and I think that answers your question about why is it too good to restore, if I wanted a bike to do that to I'd buy a bike that's a lot rougher/cheaper to start with. Some folk aren't skilled or rich enough to have an immaculate bike so Gus's bike is spot on for them, good but not a €7000 bike like Maths.
                      Tom
                      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Haha nice one.

As for the red XS, (macho maroon?) I know the owner and the bike, it is as good as it looks in the photos, as you say photos usually make bikes look better than in the flesh but in this case I think the camera has highlighted minor faults.

Yes I think if you want to do a full resto you'd need to paint the frame and once you have it down that far you'd do the rest too, and I think that answers your question about why is it too good to restore, if I wanted a bike to do that to I'd buy a bike that's a lot rougher/cheaper to start with. Some folk aren't skilled or rich enough to have an immaculate bike so Gus's bike is spot on for them, good but not a €7000 bike like Maths.
                        yes, I know what you mean. It's better to start on a tattier bike bought cheaply (as long as engine ok) for frame stripping, respray etc etc. The €7,000 and my £5,300 bikes are a rarity at that price. Realistically, they aren't really worth that unless a really interested buyer turns up, as they did in our cases. I saw my old XS on eBay recently and he couldn't get £4,700 for it...and it was mint.

My prediction is still that your mate's bike won't go at that though, nice as it sounds. However, we'll see and good luck to him in the auction.

Comment

Haha nice one.

I just realised from your mate's user name on eBay that I sold him quite a few parts - couple of years ago from a couple of XS1100's that I had to break (totally knackered bikes). Small world!

Comment

James- I thought Mathh's bike was your Black Beauty. Definitely a Black Beauty in it's own right! Nice bike Mathh. One thing I did notice was your exhaust is tapered differently than our's. I hate seeing that bike sooooooo much, as it makes me want to pull my engine and paint it. Grrrrr.
                            1979 XS1100F
                            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                              James- I thought Mathh's bike was your Black Beauty. Definitely a Black Beauty in it's own right! Nice bike Mathh. One thing I did notice was your exhaust is tapered differently than our's. I hate seeing that bike sooooooo much, as it makes me want to pull my engine and paint it. Grrrrr.
                              yes, mine had a German stainless 'replica' system on it which cost a fortune. And still needed modifying to allow the centre stand to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X