Austraila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austraila

I am thinking of doing an extended road trip in Australia. This is some thing that I have meaning do to for a long time. Right now I am just trying to figure out to logistical implications involved. Can I just go there and buy a bike , Or is better to have mine shipped this seem to be possible. Renting seems very expensive What about insurance and all that legal stuff. What rout should I take . Every Australian I have met say that my plan of a circumnavigation is crazy, that just makes me want to do it even more. I know there are locals on this site , could you help me out?

Gidday ackeric, what is your plan of navigation? The 'off the beaten track' aussie outback is a real harsh place for a motorbike (and a human). You'll be struggling everyday with huge distances between petrol stops (if available) and battling with searing heat. The red dust creeps into every nook and cranny of you and your bike. When I worked in the aussie desert years back, the thermometer sometimes nudged 50deg C. You'll have a big problem with water - eg a chronic lack of it! From Adelaide heading east then north right through to Cairns is a relatively easy tour, the rest of the country is a different proposition. Basically, if you're off the highway, and your bike craps out in the middle of nowhere (which is more or less everywhere) - you're stuffed!

Comment

You forgot snakes and spiders and all the jumping stuff.
      Eh well.... I'd do some australia touring... but im not rich (yet).

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I was thinking of clockwise cir-cum navigation following to coast. From what I understand the North west bit will be that most difficult. Your nay saying is making me even more enthusiastic. I do not want to sound macho I am any thing but. I do enjoy some fairly well thought out adventure from time to time. I do know adventure is never planed and hardly ever fun while it is happening. Most the stupid things I have done involve boats. I have bit of a history of being ship recked (my thanks to both the USN and the NYPD). This has let me know the importance of planning and being able to Jerry rig anything I have become talented at both. Come on some one encourage me, at least I will not drown. Can I get dual sport tiers for my XS?

Comment

I suppose you already compared the costs of shipping your bike vs. renting there. If it was me, I would not even consider shipping my bike I would rent, carry insurance on it, and then enjoy the trip. You might get into gov't inspections / customs / what ever and have to wait, and paper work can get misplaced, and so on. Yeah, I would rent there, the bike will already be inspected and approved for that country. You don't have to wrestle with insurance companies, just carry insurance when you rent. Then, at the end of the trip, you just drop it off when done, go home with your camera and memories. No worries about packing up your bike and all that crap.
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

maps n stuff

G'day ackeric!

I can help you out with highway maps by jpeg if you give me your email address, they're pretty big as they're for GPS systems and cover alot of ground. If you don't have broadband let me know and I'll upload them and send you the links (probably better) though that might take a few weeks.

When are you planning the trip? If you arrive via Melbourne let me know, I'll meet you at the airport!

My parents have just done the 'around Australia' trip and there are a few essential things you're going to need...

If you're going to try and hire a bike (or buy-use-sell... been done...) look for a bike with big range!! and preferably liquid cooled.

You'll need a 'gearsack' and saddlebags (and a tank bag if you can) to carry extra water, fuel, food, and water (yes I said water twice... you can eat once or twice a day if you have to, but you WILL need water!)

A UHF band cb is a must as well as a mobile.

It would pay for you to contact the MRAA (Motorcycle riders association of Australia) http://www.mraa.org.au/ and see if you can join, that way you'll have a network of cyclists in every town (almost) for contact in an emergency.

Gear for both extreme heat and extreme cold + VERY wet weather.

Lots of time, there's only a couple of roads in the country with greater than 110Kph speed limits and they're not coastal so you probably won't see them.

We drive on the left over here

Tyres are not a problem, but bits are. If you ride your XS/XJ and break a bit it'll be quicker to ship it from USA than from Yamaha.

If there's anything I've forgotten please don't swear at me, you sound like you're determined but determined to be prepared. The MRAA can help you with other information/advice.

Good luck mate!

Comment

Oh yeah, one more thing....

That jumping stuff Strom mentioned.... if you try to pass one it WILL smash into you.... and you WILL come off second best!

If you end up approaching a kangaroo and it hops along the side of the road with you, slow down and wait for it to veer off... I repeat, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES try to ride past a 'roo that is hopping along infront of you.

Comment

Hey Justyn
                What could a itty bitty Big Red do to a big powerful motorcycle
                Justyn is spot on. Wildlife dont have much of an IQ but theyre always right
                Glenn

Comment

Second thought., maybe Ackeric could join Ulysses over here. that would give him access to 21,000 rider oriented people in Australia.
                  He wouldnt have to comply with the age restrictions. If he is under 50 he is a junior member.
                  secretary@ulysses.org.au
                  Only a thought
                  Glenn

Comment

Ozzy Touring

My friend Jan (a female Jan) just came back from a lone tour of about for 6 months. She started in a shed of a Ford Falcon for a few weeks... realised her mistake and got two wheels.

Highlights include the Blue Mountains... Tazmania... up the centre to Alice Springs and Darwin... Barrier Reef (must of rented an underwater bike). Glenn was kind enough to offer Falcon assistance and even a stay over...but she took off the other way and didn't drop by. Thanks agian for the offers Glenn

All done on one of them late '90's CB750's.....

Her advice... go out there with a bit of cash.. buy the bike there and sell afterwards (leaving enough time at arrival and departure to do that of course!).

Have a good one... I'm jealous.... post the pictures somewhere when you get back!
                    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                    Guzzi 850
                    Z1000

Comment

OZ Riding extras....

A few other things to worry about

Dirt road potholes can be lethal....hidden dust filled holes can cause major sudden get-offs.... or in my friends case and "Just stay on"....landing on the luggage and wondering why she couldn't touch the footpegs / controls.... all at 60 mph...

Noticed Justins advice over liquid cooling being preferrable.... maybe debatable that one. Read quite a few "round-the-world" and one memorable "around Oz" articles in the past and one thing stuck out from them all. Go for an aircooled motor.

You will drop the bike at some stage. It could be as simple as turning around in a carpark... or trouble with a dirt road surface...or a big hole hiding somewhere.... even springy wildlife....ANYWAY...the watercooled bike always were frowned upon as 9 times out of 10 there was a drama with the watercooling system. Split hoses, cracked rads....etc etc....Can be very inconvenient having no coolant and be in a very unpopulated stretch of road.

I know aircooled may be prone to overheating in a hot Oz desert....but slower riding, stopping in the middle of the day and even night riding ( probably not good in the middle of no-where) will mean you make progress.... A shot cooling system is likely to stop you dead until you manage to bodge it together or get rescued.

News from my travelling mate was she had no trouble with a HEAVILY loaded 750 aircooled engine for 6 months summer riding into some of the hottest parts of Oz.....

All second hand info...but I the source is good
                      XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                      Guzzi 850
                      Z1000

Comment

Another thing to be wary of in outback areas are road trains. A prime mover with 3 trailers in tow.
                        Here is a site that may be useful in avoiding some of the speed traps around the place
                        http://www.roadwatch.com.au/speedcameras.asp
                        If you choose a bike get something 10 yrs or less. A lot of repairers wont touch anything over that vintage.
                        As an aside my sister travelled from Perth Western Australia up through the centre and on to Sydney (East Coast). She rode about 6-7000 klms all on an xt 250. The first and only bike she ever bought and rode. Her husband travelled on an xt600
                        Glenn

Comment

last thought for the day.
                          This is a Australian bike selling magazine
                          http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/Home/HomePage.asp
                          It has new and second hand bikes listed and will be useful guaging our local prices. Its all in Ozzie dollars.
                          Use www.whereis.com to find where the places are relative to your landing point. Whereis will also let you do a distance calculation and possible time from point to point
                          Night all
                          Glenn

Comment

The outback. Each day will be an eternal hellish struggle against the desert. Freezing at night, boiling at day. The sun appears early morning like a blast furnace. The heat and harshness knocks your guts clean out. Saps your energy fast. The adventure turns to nightmare within two days. You'll willingly depart these godforsaken lost lands of dust, death, heat and flies.

Just an Australian promotion for motorcycle tourists.

Comment

air cooled...

Good point uk1.1, I hadn't considered the repair issues...

Comment

Working...
                              X