Just a small shopping list of upgrades with the tax refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a small shopping list of upgrades with the tax refund

It's time I treat this bike the way it deserves to be treated, and buy some upgrades for it. Just a list of the items I play-on buying:

HID Kit- $60
    Coils (Dyna w/wires) $100+
    TC Fuse Box- $10
    Tkat fork Brace- $105
    S/S Brake lines- $100+
    Brake/Clutch lever- $20
    XJ Rear Shocks-$40
    LED dash bulbs- $30
    Clutch Springs- $20
    Ignition Cover/Alternator cover- $50+
    Castrol 20w-50 oil- $?
    Oil filter- $?
    FD oil- $?
    Middle drive oil- $?

Feel free to comment on anything. And, prices marked on certain things like coils/shocks, are prices I worked-out.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Ian, looks like you will have a really improved scoot when all is complete. With this weather, you have lots of time before riding season. Your prices all look reasonable, too. Enjoy!
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

TC spin on filter mod maybe? Love mine.
      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Proud new poppa to some used Dyna DC-I's off ebay for $45. Next-up is some wires.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Proud new poppa to some used Dyna DC-I's off ebay for $45. Next-up is some wires.
          Local NAPA can supply plug wire in bulk length, 7 or 8mm silicone, blue or black, solid copper core or steel wrapped wire core under $5.....JAT.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Local NAPA can supply plug wire in bulk length, 7 or 8mm silicone, blue or black, solid copper core or steel wrapped wire core under $5.....JAT.
            Any NAPA I have asked couldn't do it unless I wanted to buy 100 feet!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here is the correct wire kit for the Dynatek DC-1 coils, $20....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatek-Dyna...fffe67&vxp=mtr
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Wire Options

Here are a couple of examples from Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-34039/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-881010/overview/

I have used the kit that Phil has mentioned and it works fine. These are real wire core whereas the Summit Racing sets are not.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Gonna need the clips for those Summit wires to mate to the Dyna coils, the type clip that was used on old points type car distributors.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    Here is the correct wire kit for the Dynatek DC-1 coils, $20....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatek-Dyna...fffe67&vxp=mtr
                    Thanks Phil, just bought it.

Moto- It was tempting to go that route, but Phil's link was too good to be true. Thanks.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Only problem I ran into with those Dyna wires is they may rub on the bottom seam of the gas tank, after a while wearing down. I put a sheathing over the part of the wire that is prone to rub. Brand new wires are nice, you can touch them with the engine on and never get a shock, which pretty much means no arcing or problems in the rain.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Great point Phil, thank you sir. I'll throw my NGK caps on, get it tuned right, then Iridium plugs with no resistor in the cap afterwards.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

The wires you bought have no resistor caps on them already.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                            Thanks Phil, just bought it.

Moto- It was tempting to go that route, but Phil's link was too good to be true. Thanks.
                            Welcome!........was just an option locally.

Nate, your counter folks at NAPA there must be clueless, those rolls are to be sold by the foot. Automotive high quality plug wire ends, whether straight, angled or ninety degree can be had there also.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Moto- I would have then had to buy the boots, the clips for the dynas, etc. $20 for some genuine Dyna wires sounds good to me.
                              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X