hello everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello everyone

Just wanted to say hey to all the members from a new member here in ellijay ga..pic of my ride if it works.
    82 Xj1100

Welcome aboard game!! You are the owner of an XJ1100. in the USA, it was a 1982 only model. Ran through 84 in Canada. It shares lots of the same bones as an XS11, but has more than a few dissimilarities.

Any help you need getting it running tip top and keeping it running that well can be found here on the board. There are more than a few folks who know the XJ specific stuff down to the last nut and bolt, although not as many as know the XS stuff since it is a limited production bike.

Ask any questions you have, none are dumb questions, and everyone here looks for ways to help and answer what we can.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

thanx for the reply, its a project ive have traced the problem of no spark down to the cdi/igntion control module. need to find one then it should be up and running, i was a former ase master tech, i have work exp in a harley repair shop etc... but due to health reasons had to put all that down... i look forward to learning from all you guys...thanx.
      82 Xj1100

Comment

WELCOME !!

Another member in North Georgia, that's fantastic. Let us know when you are Ready-to-Ride.
        We have a few members in Atlanta, Dahlonega and Blue Ridge that get together and ride fairly frequently.
        Good Luck with the work & repairs as you get er' going.
        As DGXSER stated, there is lots of great information available here and people to help you troubleshoot root cause problems.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

WOO that seat looks comfy..
          79F
          "Excelsior"
          Honda gl1100 handlebar
          Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
          OE headers,Jardine slipons
          Hid headlight 6000k
          Stock jets
          Shinko 712 F & R
          Oe hardbags and luggage rack
          TC fuse block
          K&n filter with oe airbox
          Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

awesome defintly love to ride with other people we should get together and do that this summer and yes the seat is pretty comfy
            82 Xj1100

Comment

Originally posted by game1939 View Post
              awesome defintly love to ride with other people we should get together and do that this summer and yes the seat is pretty comfy
              If you get your bike running properly by January then - Why Wait??
              Check this for February: XS Key West 2014
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40943

Also this three day XS Rally in NC at the end of September:
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40850
              Only 87 miles from you in Stecoah NC

And this: https://www.facebook.com/XSSoutheast
              There are also other XS east coast Rallies like XS East in May and XS North in Canada in June.
              Gee, I think nationwide this group does a lot of riding whenever we can .............

Again, WELCOME and we look forward to meeting you and seeing your bike
              Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by game1939 View Post
                Just wanted to say hey to all the members from a new member here in ellijay ga..pic of my ride if it works.
                Hi game and welcome,
                you may note that this site is full of it. And some of it can even be helpful.
                Nice looking bike. You post that it don't run right now, what happened?
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

seek and ye shall find

Dunno about ask and it shall be given unto you, most likely he'll want money.
                  But Hi again,
                  contact Greybird78 who sez he's parting out an SJ.
                  And there's always this site's parts for sale forum.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The XJ used a model-specific module identified with a '10M' in the part number. None of the XS modules will work (unless you swap to the complete XS ignition) so you may have a bit of trouble finding one. Try Andreas on here, he usually has a decent selection of used parts (look in the 'parts for sale' forum). These also have a vacuum switch for the 'vacuum advance' (VOES in Harley-speak) that needs to be working, although this isn't a simple on-off switch like Harley uses. If you don't have the XJ manual (the XS one will only be marginally useful), you can download one here: http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html

The XJ has a lot of unique parts not shared with the XS bikes, although most driveline parts are the same. There's considerable differences in the wiring, suspension, and brakes. The brakes in particular can be a real PITA as these are a 'split' system, with the rear master working the rear caliper and one front one, with the second front caliper operating off the handlebar cylinder. Hard to bleed, and rebuild kits for the masters are expensive and hard to find. A common mod is to use XS masters and 'un-split' the brakes.

The brakes on all of these vintage bikes are prone to corrosion, so if you find any 'gunk' in the masters, plan on a complete teardown of the brakes to clean them out. The seals can be reused in most cases, so be careful with them when removing them. Corroded pistons in the calipers are a common problem, but reproductions are available.

These also have the 'YICS' system, which needs to be plugged to sync the carbs. Many leave it permanently plugged as it was primarily an emissions device.

Welcome, and good luck!
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      Hi game and welcome,
                      you may note that this site is full of it. And some of it can even be helpful.
                      Nice looking bike. You post that it don't run right now, what happened?
                      i just picked up this bike, owner said it needed a carb cleanout, but really it has no spark, first things first i pulled the kill switch found the wires have come unsodered from it, repaired that now it turns over with button ( had to jump solenoid before) still no spark,no power going to pickups, have power going to coil packs, pulled ignition module apart smells like someone set it on fire.. hehee, so in process of finding one of them, going to go through wires and connectors more when have the time, it had no breaks, i have manged to get the front and rear breaks bleed out and working thank goodness... gotta put tires on it, just put new ngk plugs in it just cause... itll be ready by spring for sure just gotta have time to go over it good... I have ordered a cd service manual on it like the ones we used in the shop it should be here in a week or so.. then i lll have the wiring schematics where i can for sure pinpoint the issue.. thanx guys for all the replys and help so far and look forward to more...
                      82 Xj1100

Comment

Hey there Game,

Okay, with the photo we now know you have the 82 XJ11, I sent you this info in your registration confirmation email, but looks like you didn't get to your USER CP(Control Panel) to edit your signature and profile info where I had left it 82XS until you have confirmed what you had.

As Steve stated, the XJ's TCI....it's a Transistor controlled Ignition, and uses higher 3 ohm spark plug coils, vs. a CDI that uses the very low 0.7 ohm coils. The TCI's are fairly robust, but if the wrong type of coils are put on them, ie. the 0.7 CDI style coils as aftermarket, then they can burn up the output switching transistors in the TCI.

They were only made for 1 year in the USA, and they have programmed cent. adv. curves as well as the vac. adv. curves into eprom chips in them.
                        A member with an XJ put an 81 XS TCI (4RO/4RI) version TCI on his XJ. The 81 has the programmed Cent. Adv. curve only, but that's the more important one for general functionality and power. The Vac. Adv. just provides the increased timing for cruising lean fuel mixture fuel economy mode. Regrettably, the 81's were also made for only 1 year, so both the XJ and the 81 TCI's may be more difficult to find and $$ vs. the more common XS 78-80 2H7 series TCI's that just uses MECHANICAL Cent. Adv. and vac. advance devices in the timing components under the left side crank cover.

SO....if you find the 81 XS/4RO or the XJ TCI too expensive for your desires as to what you want to invest in the bike, then as Steve stated, you can acquire the mechanical and vac. adv. parts to swap in from really any year XS...although some might say using the 80 would be closer to what it would need to be a closer match to the engines' larger valves and timing!? This way you could then use the more common XS TCI, or even BUILD your own from Automotive components....see the tech tips, mods for info on how to do it.

Also, sorry you went and spent the $$ for a "Service" type manual, as stated the LINK we provided has both owners and actual Yamaha SERVICE manuals for free download....a member hosts them on his personal SERVER!

The XJ also has several INTERLOCKS built into the harness to prevent accidental and unsafe starting while the bike is in gear...clutch, sidestand, neutral. They will stop the bike from starting...being able to spin the starter. You've gotten to that after fixing the ER switch, so doubtful that the interlocks are interferring, but IIRC they also ground the TCI preventing spark function.

Also, is the battery strong?? We have also found that if the voltage drops too low...ie. ~10.5 volts while cranking...that there's not enough juice to fire the ignition...we thought it was the TCI, but then figured it was actually the ignition coils....but could be a combo of both. SO...check your battery voltage, and if low, try it with a booster jumper battery, you might get a pleasant surprise!?

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Howdy neighbor!

Get that thing runnin' and let's ride! I'll help you if I can.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Welcome. Great site here with great people that seem always willing to help. Nice bike.
                            1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
                            1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
                            1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
                            1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
                            1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
                            1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
                            1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
                            1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
                            RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Welcome Game,
                              As an XJ owner I highly recommend that you get the YICS eliminator so you can synch your carbs properly. Without it, or the YICS tool from Yamaha, it will be difficult to get them right, next to impossible really.
                              Another mod I did to mine just recently when replacing the fork seals, is to add a 3/4" PVC spacer sandwiched between two heavy duty 3/4" washers at the top of the springs. This eliminates the need to put air in your forks and improves the suspension dramatically.
                              And last but not least, replace your fuse panel with one that uses blade fuses. All our bikes benefit from that improvement. I think TC may still have some that are just the ticket. Yet for the XJ it's not a simple drop in. Here's a thread on how I did it:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20011

Good luck finding the brain box.
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X