Riding Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding Gear

Looking at some rain gear, down to Scorpion's Barrier which is made of polyurethane coated nylon versus Olympia's Horizon suit made of ripstop nylon shell with bonus Nomex heat shield panels to protect lower leg from the exhaust. Like the looks of the Barrier but which is the better material?
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I ride a lot in the rain. I've tried the Frogg Toggs, and the pants have never lasted more than one ride for me before the wind shredded them. Some have had good luck. I tried a couple different sets with the same results, but something that works well and is cheap...

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...product/51710/

I get two to three seasons out of a pair and they have a zippered back pocket on them that the whole pair of pants packs up into for a nice small package. Bob Falter from Iowa got me started on these.

Anyway.. just throwing that option out there if you're interested.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Is there a jacket that goes with those? I'm still wearing the Frog Toggs I got from Jeremy but the legs are getting frizzed out from the knee down.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Nubian,
        I have found these guys good to deal with. They give a informative description of the products. Check the closeout section too for real bargain prices. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/raingear/
        I use Wetskins brand myself but I could not find any model name or number
        PVC backed Nylon outer shell witha polyester lining.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I guess Tod isn't going to answer me.

I have a set of Frogg Toggs I've been using for about 3 years now. They have held up well for me and are light, easy to store, and cheap. They fit in the storage area in my fairing so they are always with me.

As I said, they are starting to get frizzed out at the bottom of the legs after 3 years but still no holes.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Is there a jacket that goes with those? I'm still wearing the Frog Toggs I got from Jeremy but the legs are getting frizzed out from the knee down.

I don't know if they have a matching jacket to go with them, but I usually just find a jacket that's also very lightweight, wind/rain-proof that has any zippers covered with velcro flaps and a really thin hood that I can wear and put my helmet over. That keeps any rain from going down the back of your neck. I get it one size large and just wear that over my regular armored jacket. Both the pants and the jacket easily pack into my tank bag with room for other stuff as well.

With those rain pants, I also buy a set of blousing straps to attach to each side of the pant leg and the strap goes under the insole of my boot, making a stirrup that doesn't let the pant ride up or get blown up over the top of your boots.

Nubian, I apologize if we've totally hijacked your thread.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I was debating on getting some of the military ECWCS

It's not reflective being its military camo...but some reflective tape, paracord...etc can be added.

Has pit vents for when it gets warm, made of gortex so its strong

79F
              "Excelsior"
              Honda gl1100 handlebar
              Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
              OE headers,Jardine slipons
              Hid headlight 6000k
              Stock jets
              Shinko 712 F & R
              Oe hardbags and luggage rack
              TC fuse block
              K&n filter with oe airbox
              Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Hi Sparkfly88
                That suit looks too heavy /bulky for wearing over riding gear.
                Also the huge hood is going to fill with wind as you ride as it will not go under your helmet ( you do wear a helmet I trust) You would need a trailer for the sunny days to cart it along as a suit is no use if not with you.
                Camo is to hide and you really want to be seen in the rain. Bright colours and reflective strips.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

The hood is made to go over a helmet and has 3 draw strings to cinch it all down tight to the point only your eyes are visible if you wanted to

Just the parka is made from gortex, without a liner I'd compare it to the frogtogs, just a little tougher, feels like any other waterproof system.
                  Its made to be oversized, so if you wear a medium regular BDU system, its like 2 times larger than that although it says the same size, because they expect you to put it on over your gear.

If I wore it, I would make reflective armbands, leg bands, or wear a reflective vest.
                  79F
                  "Excelsior"
                  Honda gl1100 handlebar
                  Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
                  OE headers,Jardine slipons
                  Hid headlight 6000k
                  Stock jets
                  Shinko 712 F & R
                  Oe hardbags and luggage rack
                  TC fuse block
                  K&n filter with oe airbox
                  Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

I like my frogg togs
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                      Looking at some rain gear, down to Scorpion's Barrier which is made of polyurethane coated nylon versus Olympia's Horizon suit made of ripstop nylon shell with bonus Nomex heat shield panels to protect lower leg from the exhaust. Like the looks of the Barrier but which is the better material?
                      havent a clue...but all my dry gear is Olympia and they are all good quality materials and workmanship...My AST 3/4 length jacket is waterproof so I never need to use a rainsuit over it...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have some Red Ledge rain pants I like. Full leg zipper, well made. $50 Using a River Road rain jacket, has reflective stuff on it. $10 at Goodwill.
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                        X