Valkyrie Reintroduced...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valkyrie Reintroduced...

What do you guys think? It has the same engine as the Goldwing, but 150 lbs lighter.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/muscular...140000853.html

To me personally, it just kind of looks like a Honda Shadow with an 1800 engine stuffed in.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Honda

Looks a lot "over kill". Too much motor, too heavy. Four cylinders for 2 wheels is plenty. May "Ride like a Cadillac", but it probably "feels" like a Cadillac too.

Just guessing though, don't have any first hand knowledge. JMHO

Mike
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I was excited when I saw the title, then I saw the picture........
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

With a bike that big I would want a fairing and bags plus a comfy saddle...
        wait that would be a GoldWing

The earlier years of Valkyrie had a Raw stripped down look which I could understand the appeal of but this looks wrong to me.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

200 lbs heavier than the XS and only 10 -15 more HP. It would be going backwards.

Try and fix that thing along the highway or put it back together after a cra$h.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

GW motor is a 1800 cc Flat 6 cyl affair...actually very well balanced but as fir the bike itself...not my cup of tea...looks cool but you wont see me flocking to the local Honda stealer... Forghot to mention that I have had several opportunities to ride with GL1800 Gpldwings thru the mtns of VA and NC and those bikes handle much better than they have any biznes doing...oo so one would think...actually all these GW based bikes have a sportbike suspension thus they can handle much better than one would expect them to do..I would like to take one out for a thorugh demo ride...
            Last edited by madmax-im; 11-30-2013, 01:30 PM.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
              With a bike that big I would want a fairing and bags plus a comfy saddle...
              wait that would be a GoldWing
              +1
              agree with what you guys are saying.

Seems like this re-done Valkyrie is more than a misguided effort. The nice thing about a GL1800 (as an all-weather (almost all) pretty much sport-tourer) is the bags and amazing amount of wind-rain-snow protection for the rider(s). Down side is it is pretty ugly and tends to buffet at high speeds in a stiff crosswind. Plus side is the way it goes up really twisty roads at high speeds easily carrying ALL your junk. I really enjoy my GL1800 for all its good points in trouble free long distance touring + @ 45-46-47mpg I can easily run 250+ miles on a tank of cheapest ethanol 87 I can find.

I don't expect we will be seeing too many of those new Valkyries around. Not too many people will be fooled ............. and it is pretty ugly too. Big motor-Big Plastic, no bags. Like a tool you don't need and wouldn't use.

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Kinda cool. I think It would look better with a roumd headlight
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...309#post427309
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    What do you guys think? It has the same engine as the Goldwing, but 150 lbs lighter.
                    http://autos.yahoo.com/news/muscular...140000853.html
                    To me personally, it just kind of looks like a Honda Shadow with an 1800 engine stuffed in.
                    Oh, yuk!
                    Shakespeare had someone say "first, we hang all the lawyers"
                    To which I would add "Right after we shoot all the stylists"
                    Can't castrate the bastards, that's already been done.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Like the lines, but wouldn't even try to take all the plastic off to work on it. Can't say I'm a fan of the blue for their promo picture, maybe gloss black with some matte black accents and a quarter fairing.
                      81 H "Traumaha"
                      06 KLR 650
                      06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                      05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                      78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                      79 RD400 (Stolen)
                      78 KE175
                      Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

I was always a fan of the first generation Valkyrie (1996-2003) with the 1520cc engine - a former riding buddy had one, which he let me ride many times, and I was impressed with the power and especially the torque, which made for a really nice cruising experience. And even the styling worked for me (it was a risk for Honda, building a cruiser with a flat six in a world of V-twins); if you saw one of these cruising down the road, you couldn't mistake it for anything else!
                        But THIS ... no, thank you. I'm sure the powerplant is awesome, but I think they really missed the mark as far as styling - JMHO
                        Marco

Current bikes:
                        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                        1979 Honda CBX
                        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Yep, the styling sucks. It looks like they looked at a Vincent Black knight, and said "we'll start with that and tweek it for a bigger engine and add some farkles"
                          Sheesh, what is Honda thinking?

CZ

Comment

To me, it looks almost like a "Rune light", just "blacked out" - and let's just say I liked the styling of the Rune about as much as I liked the styling of a 1986 Suzuki Madura 1200 - PLEASE NO!!
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Fugly

minimum of ten letters
                              79F
                              "Excelsior"