• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maxim 1100 gas tank..???

Hello,
    I was curious as to whether a maxim 1100 tank will fit xs 1100 frame
    I couldn't find a conclusive post .
    I am not too concerned about fuel gauge or possible slight mods needed .
    (petcocks,octy)Just if I can make it work.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

I know Ivan has one on his Special. TC has one as well, but I think they had to notch or cut out the hole at the base of the tank where the rear of the tank attaches to the crossover on the frame.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

SH w/ Maxim tank
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I believe TC relocated the original mounting peg further back.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          I believe TC relocated the original mounting peg further back.
          Yeah, Ivan's triple tree hits the tank when turned fully in either direction. He has a dimple in both front corners.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Yeah, Ivan's triple tree hits the tank when turned fully in either direction. He has a dimple in both front corners.
            But his dimple are so cute
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Yeah Potter, he mentioned you liked riding right close behind him. Said it made him a little uneasy because he could feel your eyes on his dimples.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Joe,
                there's this:-

Hello am hopeful someone can advise me on the following.
                Recently picked up an 80 special, but have standard tank and carbs.
                My 79 has two inlets on carbs for fuel, my 80 has 4,two near float bowls ,two a bit higher,
                single outlet on petcocks,
                Who might know why this might be and should I just use a tee to connect them all?
                Thanks

in your ID file. I don't see how to send a reply from there so I'm trying from here.
                That carb rack is from an earlier model. The 2 higher fuel inlets ain't fuel inlets, they are breathers that were originally vented into the stock airbox.
                DO NOT tee all 4 together, it'll screw up the carburation.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey there,

What can I say, I'm lazy! Okay, yes, I had to notch the extra long tail tang of the tank to allow the seat tongue to be able to wedge under it. I cut off/down the secure bolt down seat section of the frame so that it wouldn't hit the bottom of the tank/tunnel. I did NOT relocate the bolt down threaded base. The XJ uses a special wide bracket on the tail section, and the secure down bolt/seat is more posterior on the frame. The front frame cushions fit the same inside the tunnel/fittings. I just don't turn the handlebars to full stop so as not to hit the tank with the fork tubes. The Special seat rides up a bit onto the tail of the tank, but once the seat is bolted down, it secures the tail of the tank adequately for my purposes. The side covers will touch the tank slightly when installing/removing, I bent the mounting tangs of the side covers a little to allow room to be able to R&R them onto the frame.....mine was an 81SH(Special). The sending unit bolted right into the tank, just had to put some extensions to the wires so that they would reach the harness connectors. The petcocks are the same as the specials...at least the special petcocks bolted right onto/into the XJ tank since the one I got didn't have any petcocks with it! I moved the frame rubber grommets a little further towards the rear to better support the tail of the tank, would suggest a couple more right under the extended tail end of the tank/frame junction.

Here are a couple more photos showing the close proximity of the tank and sidecovers and such!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You guys are great

Thanks to all for their input and info regarding petcocks, fitting and mods needed.
                    Wasn't sure if I was going to get it(ebay) was thrilled when I won it for 60 bucks.
                    I'll be sure to try to avoid triple tree damage I don't know how I might feel if someone was eyeballing my "dimples"..
                    Thanks again ,
                    Joe
                    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      Yeah Potter, he mentioned you liked riding right close behind him. Said it made him a little uneasy because he could feel your eyes on his dimples.
                      LMFAOOOO! Golden Greg!
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The maxim tank fits with just a small amount of modification. My bike is a 79 Special. If I remember I had to:
                        - cut out just a tiny amount of the top of the side covers because the tank wraps a little lower on the rails
                        - move the tab slightly where the tank bolts on
                        - build the fork stops up slightly so the triple tree didnt hit the tank

Here is a photo, I can take dome more detailed photos of mods if you wish.

Cheers
                        1979 XS1100 SF - My first project

Comment

Working...
                        X