Anyone Here HAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Here HAM?

Any HAM radio people here? I am looking to get into it and am looking for some advice on where to start.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Breaker breaker 1 - 9. C'mon back, you got porky pig here.....
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Breaker breaker 1 - 9. C'mon back, you got porky pig here.....
      Hi Greg,
      that's CB talk. An amateur radio message should start with CQ - - -
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

- .-. -.-- / -.-. .... . -.-. -.- .. -. --. / - --- / ... . . / .. ..-. / - .... . .-. . / .- .-. . / .- -. -.-- / -.-. .-.. ..- -... ... / .-.. --- -.-. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- :d
        Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
        Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
        and SOXS
        2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
          - .-. -.-- / -.-. .... . -.-. -.- .. -. --. / - --- / ... . . / .. ..-. / - .... . .-. . / .- .-. . / .- -. -.-- / -.-. .-.. ..- -... ... / .-.. --- -.-. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- :d
          You don't need to know Morse code anymore.....

There are some but I just like to know what I am getting into before I start.
          Last edited by natemoen; 10-27-2013, 05:16 AM.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate,
            I just upgraded from a technician to a general license. I work for a company that builds HF radio's, so I can now talk on one!
            The Technician test is a lot about Ohm's Law, rules, and Frequencies. IF you buy the book from the ARRL, it has a CD in it with all the questions in the pool the FCC uses. It is a very good way to learn and then take the test at a local site. You can also find the questions online if you do a google search on HAM TECHNICIAN TESTS. If you find that you seem to pick it up easily, then study the General questions as well! It took me almost 20 years to upgrade, and I probably could have done both at the same time. It cost $15 most of the time to take the test, and that is if you take one or all three. There is NO MORSE CODE needed anymore, though a lot of HAMS still use it.
            It's a fun hobby, and a way to help out in times of local need. Most of the time when nothing else will work, a HAM operator will be able to get a message out to where it needs to be.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yeah, I thought about doing both tech and general together. I was looking at a sample test the other day and got about 2/3s of the tech questions right and didn't have any clue as to what the tests where about.

I am just a bit confused by all the equipment! I got a little el cheapo baofeng handheld just for now to listen and get a little used to it. Tried to transmit once (even though I am not supposed to ) but I can't even figure out how to do that! Apparently just pressing the side transmit button is not enough in ham......
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That "RADIO" is owned by a few hams who cannot program it without a computer! Use it to listen to repeater traffic, but you will need to look for a "real" radio to really do anything beyond very short distance, about 10 miles.
                One thing I've found is you need a general to go above 10 meters, and that is what you need to talk across the country or around the world. Used Icom, Yeasu, or Kenwood radios can be had in working order for about $150 to $250 for HF. 2 meter 70cm radios are less than that new. I work for Elecraft, and they start at about $800 for a portable, the KX3 and $2500 for a 100W HF, the K3, that is one of the best in the world. No, I do not have one yet, as I need to save a LOT more pennies to buy one. I AM taking the "loaner" KX3 with me to Kona tomorrow, and will try to talk with a co-worker Wednesday afternoon my time.
                Passing is only 26 out of 35 for both tests, so you should do well! Give the general a try, as the worst you do is fail. I did that on the "extra" test when I took the general, and got a 22 out of 50! I thought that wasn't bad, as I had not even seen a question before trying, and it is by far the hardest of the three.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I got the programing cable with the radio, all the reviews said it was near imposible to program the on screen menu, but that Is really making a lot of sense either.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ray, I did figure out how to transmit on my el cheapo handheld. Bit of a hassle but it works. I also ordered Yaesu 2m mobile.

Now I just need to get licensed.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                    X