OEM Standard Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Standard Exhaust

I just very well may have my hooks into a 1978 Yamaha XS1100E exhaust system in good condition under $200. I'll wait on the guy to send pics and post here if it turns out to be from an E. Guy claims to have had the bike and got into an accident and ended-up swapping out systems long ago. Here's the rub: it's in another state. So, I got some driving to do if it pans out. Since I had intentions of going Supertrapp, this may be cheaper, and I can sell my Mac system (4-2 turnouts). Oh man I'm soooo excited!!! Should there be any issues attaching it to my bike from having a current Mac system on it now?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

All the standard exhausts are the same except the '81H (that one uses a specials exhaust).

Shouldn't be any issues on instal unless something was modified.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

is it the one in Toledo? got my attention too...I think I will paint mine and just make it work for now..
      Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

He did not take the best pics, but it looks like its all there. $175 for it, and its only an hour drive South for me.

https://db.tt/wj9sro3A
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

That is a steal if it's as nice as it looks.......
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I believe my Mac exhaust utilizes the factory exhaust brackets, correct? I think I am only using one bolt on each Mac muffler, where-as on my 750/850's I use two for factory mufflers. Is that the same on the 1100? Anything else I may need for this system?

Oh yeah, one more question: Would my 140 main jets be too big with factory exhaust?
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              I believe my Mac exhaust utilizes the factory exhaust brackets, correct? I think I am only using one bolt on each Mac muffler, where-as on my 750/850's I use two for factory mufflers. Is that the same on the 1100? Anything else I may need for this system?

Oh yeah, one more question: Would my 140 main jets be too big with factory exhaust?
              No, then you could get 30 mpg like some of the other guys do. And have to clean plugs often.

CZ

Comment

Should I expect to turn the mixture screws leaner or richer using standard exhaust? Running 140 mains on a modified airbox.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Like Steve said, at that price, I'd drive a couple states to get it!!

As for tuning, going from a MAC 4-2 to a stock 4-2 should not greatly effect the tuning. Besides, once you modify the airbox, and the advance like I think you went back to, its had to say for certain. 140 is not a huge jump from 137.5 mains to start with, so I doubt you will notice it much except perhaps in your millage. Maybe plug color if you check it.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Thanks Don! The guy lives in Maumee, Ohio, but agreed to drive upto Dundee in Michigan at Cabella's. So, that cut an hour off my drive time. If any of u were curious how I came across to buy these:

http://toledo.craigslist.org/mpo/4109874467.html
                    Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 10-21-2013, 07:13 AM.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Each baffle has a bracket that connects it to the bike. The bracket has two bolts that thread into the baffle and the bracket has a hole at the top for the bolt that holds it to the aluminum set down near the passenger peg. That is all that is need to put it on the bike besides the hardware for the flanges. Keep in mind, people have reported some differences in exhaust stud lengths but it shouldnt be a problem using a '78E exhaust on your '79F. There should be a part number stamped into the exhaust on the end of the baffle if you care to know. The first 3 digits should match your bikes vin for it to be period correct.

As far as tuning, dont do anything until you take it for a ride with the new exhaust on it. The 140's might be a little fat even with your modified air box but it might be just right too. For a short period of time I removed the snorkel from my air box and had a stock exhaust, the bike didn't act lean. Removing the snorkel is probably less restrictive than your modified air box because it actually bypasses the air filter all together. I was quick to put it back in once I realized that...
                      Last edited by WMarshy; 10-21-2013, 07:42 AM.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Thanks for that Wade. Interesting tidbit about the exhaust.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

So, an interesting day with the bike. Went down to Dundee to meet the guy @ 9a. Got back up in Fenton sometime after 10a. Had some coffee and a doughnut with my girlfriend, then began the removal of the Mac exhaust. Done. Cleaned-up the OEM exhaust with some Turtle wax metal polish, and put the pipes together. Dumb idea. Pipes gotta go behind the center stand. Pull 'em back apart. Got random objects holding mufflers up (Armor All wipes cans). Not going so smooth. End-up having to take side stand off. Eventually I get everything in-place, bolts on rear set, etc. All headers inside head look great. Cylinder #3 stud seems short, can't get bite for the flange nut. End-up using vice grips to pull it out some. Bad idea. Boogered-up the threads. Pull the stud out easily. Call the motorcycle repair shop in Flint, asking about stud. Short story, he's leaving it outside the shop (closing soon), pay him on Monday. I call my buddy to grab it and bring it down. In the meantime, gotta goto work. Stall a little, call the local Ace hardware and they have the studs. Drive over. A success! Buy two.

After midnight, 27 degrees outside installing stud. Went in easy. Second stud is boogered! Swap it out. Exhaust is finally installed!!! First start, and she sounds amazing! Hard to describe. Sporty, and muffled. I love it! Smoke everywhere. Maybe chrome polish? Loose exhaust flanges? Tighten 'em all down. Ride a mile down the road. Pull over, tighten exhaust nuts to final tightness. Put a piece of paper over each header. No wind or smoke.

Later-on after Mass, carb sync and plug chop.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Carbs tunes and synced. Bike runs great, and sounds great too! Definitely not the sound I was expecting. I thought it would sound more like my Triples. Guess not. The best $175.00 I have ever spent!
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                            X