Learning the hard way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning the hard way

So I was getting my 79 xs1100sf ready to ride this year and decided I would clean my carbs outs, first thing I did was removed the seat, tank, air box(latter learned I can remove the carbs with this). Next I used my air hose to blow out my carb jets, and fuel line and the lines to the air box.
    Thinking I was good I put all back together, turned fuel on and behold gas leaking everywhere !
    Come to find out I had compressed my floats.
    Cost was 200 dollar's for new brass ones. And I found a kit of 4 TOTAL rebuild kit minus the diaphragm through a store on eBay for just under a hundred.
    I did get the ride running and mean she is !
    79 XS 1100 SF, Niagara Falls, New York 14305

I guess I would have posted in the wanted section for carbs, or bought a used set off ebay, and it woulda been cheaper.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      I guess I would have posted in the wanted section for carbs, or bought a used set off ebay, and it woulda been cheaper.
      When was the last time you tried to get a used bank of 4 Mikuni, constant velocity, 30 mm carb's?
      I got all brass replaced on these carb's for under $300.
      Did I not do good. I did join these group for knowledge. Please give the feed back.

Comment

You done good, real good! New floats trumps old floats, leak testing and used carbs every time, just don't done it again.

-- Scott
        _____
        ♬
        2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
        ♬

Comment

You got it running and that is what counts.

You can get the brass floats for $20 new and the jets are $2-$4 each, genuine mikuni jets are preferred and most of those kits are K&L and often times the kits have the wrong pilot jets. There is always the chance here that people have lots of parts laying around and will sell them at a good price.

You are new though, you don't know these things yet! Welcome!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Stoners420time View Post
            When was the last time you tried to get a used bank of 4 Mikuni, constant velocity, 30 mm carb's?
            I got all brass replaced on these carb's for under $300.
            Did I not do good. I did join these group for knowledge. Please give the feed back.
            Hi Steven and welcome,
            I bought an XS11 carb rack for $30 at a swap meet one time.
            Turned out what I got was 4 de-gutted carb bodies.
            At least they were XS11 bodies with the vacuum tap on #2 carb and they did still have their diaphragms if nothin' else.
            So yes! You done good.
            Now you have found the XS/XJ11 parts for sale forum you can do hopefully good for less money the next time.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I can't help saying!

With good humor intended,
              I can't help saying, Maybe your screen name is part of the problem,
              (at least what it implies)
              All kidding aside, a shop manual would be a good investment.
              I prefer a Yamaha factory one but they can be difficult to find.
              Beyond that Many, many here on the site are very knowledgable.
              Ask and you shall receive.
              Good luck!
              78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Any XS manual you need can be downloaded here. Print if you want.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Many thank's

Thank youse for the warm welcome.
                  Frist thing I did when I picked the ride up(for $180) was to buy a Clymer book, after that I sank 6 hundo's on a airbox with the boot's(or what ever that rubber housing is) new carb holders, rebuilt the carb's, and ofcourse I bought vac. gauge's for doing the sychn, rebuilt all 3 brake caliber's, new brakepad's F & B, rebuilt the back master cylinder, new front tire, new clutch with springs and the gauge's with those i'm not sure if there for an sf ? A few oil change's and a few set of plug's (had to get hotter one's). Can not forget new cables and a back rest off a machine I havn't a clue
                  Love this machine and I've had it for 3 years now, and I'm looking forward to getting to know my fellow XS11 owner's.
                  Last edited by Stoners420time; 10-12-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

?parts?

I forgot to add it had a 4 to 1 exhaust, I stuffed a baffle in it at first and got tired of buying plug's so I got an OEM exhaust with some mufflers off a Honda or something the seller tried to pass off as complete exhaust system for my machine did this, this year before doing my carb's.
                    Anyway's I have the 4 to 1 exhaust for anyone whom want's it ! free, minus any shipping? 716,14305 area in N.Y. And like I said this is a mean machine, I broke the first gauge not knowing it wasn't for the Sf(stoped working at 80 mph in 3rd LMAO).

Comment

Originally posted by Stoners420time View Post
                      - - - Anyway's I have the 4 to 1 exhaust for anyone whom want's it ! free, minus any shipping? 716,14305 area in N.Y. And like I said this is a mean machine, I broke the first gauge not knowing it wasn't for the Sf(stoped working at 80 mph in 3rd LMAO).
                      Hi Steven,
                      what with ANY kinda XS11 exhaust system being scarcer than hen's teeth these days, that's a real generous offer.
                      And FYI, a speedo from any year or model or engine capacity of XS will fit and read right on your SF.
                      For example, my Canadian SG is presently using a MPH speedo from an American model XS650.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                      X