Finished for now, running awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished for now, running awesome

Finally finished, and still a couple of weeks of riding hopefully before she gets put away for winter.

Still wanna try some wide clubmans, but these, (superbike bars with 2" rise???) feel really nice. Need to find a Yamaha decal for the tank done in the "Triumph" style and font.
    81 H "Traumaha"
    06 KLR 650
    06 Katana 600 (Sold)
    05 Star 1100 (Sold)
    78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
    79 RD400 (Stolen)
    78 KE175
    Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Okay, okay. I LOVE your bike! The engine is amazing. But, I have been going over this in my head for over a year now regarding the headlight. My opinion is that you should go round, like from the XJ for this to look complete. I know, to each his own, but the lines of the bike with round blinkers only make sense.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

+1 on Ian's comment ( round headlight). I think you are a bad influence on me, and other (only) one xs11 owners , though. I want another to do what you did, make a moderate cafe racer. Your bike is one sweet scoot, well done. You did a great job. If there's a chance to put a youtube of it running, that would be cool, too, or even a few more pics. Nice job!
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

I recently went to a motorcycle wrecker that was going out of business. $50 all you could carry out. Unfortunately, all I could find in the way of round headlights was a decent assembly in 6" configuration. Waaaay too small, need at least a 7" lense before the housing to fit, (maybe from a tugboat or locomotive), think if I'm going to spend the money on a big round light, its gonna have to come from the UK. (They have them in yellow lenses too). The square is growing on me, but a round one would fit the bike better. Seen a couple small bubble race fairings from an '80's GPZ (square headlight), that might work as well.
        81 H "Traumaha"
        06 KLR 650
        06 Katana 600 (Sold)
        05 Star 1100 (Sold)
        79 RD400 (Stolen)
        78 KE175

Comment

Personally I think the rectangle headlight goes well, especially since you have the square gauges. I would almost try and find some small square or rectangle turn signals and change them to that.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I agree with Nate on I like the square better. No matter what else you change the square look will still be on the gas cap. Might as well have a few other items like gauges and headlight match. Square type signals would set it off.
            Nice job! I usually am not much for cafe'd bikes but this is pretty darn nice.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Well done! Did you powdercoat the engine or paint?
              Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
              Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
              Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
              Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
              Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
              K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
                - - - Need to find a Yamaha decal for the tank done in the "Triumph" style and font. - - -
                Hi Garagamus,
                ask about the "Yamahumph" tank logo at the XS650 site, they posted a link to it a while back.
                Site e-mail is"- yam650@micapeak.com
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Tat2, its an aluminium paint, (tons of overspray, very light), covers really well with just a light mist. spent hours masking the parts that I couldn't remove and it still made its way onto parts nowhere near where I was spraying. On metal, it came out shiny, where the bodywork came out more silver, (same paint for the lower body panels). Whole paintjob is rattlecan, (I'm cheap that way), all in for the build: Bike $200, parts $150, battery $75, fluids $50, paint $30, seat vinyl $9, bump seat $free (came from an old GS1000 gas tank), mirrors, grips and turn signals $75 (Kapsmoto.com), Under $600! and she howls.
                  81 H "Traumaha"
                  06 KLR 650
                  06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                  05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                  79 RD400 (Stolen)
                  78 KE175

Comment

I may have to go to a sign shop to get two made...

This is what I'm looking for in silver over black shadow.
                    81 H "Traumaha"
                    06 KLR 650
                    06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                    05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                    79 RD400 (Stolen)
                    78 KE175

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
                      Tat2, its an aluminium paint, (tons of overspray, very light), covers really well with just a light mist. spent hours masking the parts that I couldn't remove and it still made its way onto parts nowhere near where I was spraying. On metal, it came out shiny, where the bodywork came out more silver, (same paint for the lower body panels). Whole paintjob is rattlecan, (I'm cheap that way), all in for the build: Bike $200, parts $150, battery $75, fluids $50, paint $30, seat vinyl $9, bump seat $free (came from an old GS1000 gas tank), mirrors, grips and turn signals $75 (Kapsmoto.com), Under $600! and she howls.
                      That paint is just what I'm looking for to match the engine cases. Any chance you have the identification/brand/#. Thank You !
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Donebysunday..."Tremclad", Gloss Aluminum (oil based) Has a picture of a kids wagon on the can. Says its Canada's No# 1 Rust paint, no mention of engine cover sprucing up. It matches the engine well, but is a little brighter/lighter. Give it a couple of months riding and it will probably dull and blend in more a bit.
                        Last edited by Garagamus; 09-28-2013, 12:41 AM.
                        81 H "Traumaha"
                        06 KLR 650
                        06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                        05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                        79 RD400 (Stolen)
                        78 KE175

Comment

Excellent job! But I think you misspelled "hunert".
                          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

You can't imagine the giggles in my head while watching folks "phonetically" sounding it out...when they finally "get it", I give'em a big "thumbs up" like we've just been inducted into Mensa on a scholarship.
                            81 H "Traumaha"
                            06 KLR 650
                            06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                            05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                            79 RD400 (Stolen)
                            78 KE175

Comment

Hi Garagamus,
                              I like it. i too vote for keeping the square headlight and looking for some square indicators.
                              Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X