Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New XS in the stable and an introduction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To TopCat, thanks...one more question. Regarding the cleaning tutorial, when setting the carbs, (since these are the later model year ones), should I have still started with 2 and 1/2 turns out from lightly seated or more since they are running rich?
    81 H "Traumaha"
    06 KLR 650
    06 Katana 600 (Sold)
    05 Star 1100 (Sold)
    78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
    79 RD400 (Stolen)
    78 KE175
    Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Welcome to the Encyclopedia Britannica Micropedia of the XS-XJ Yamaha. For two large that is a real winner. I am glad someone has it that will ride it and not let it rot into the ground. You done good son.
      Ole Jack
      J.D."Jack" Smith
      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
      1978E straight job
      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Thanks XS11Jack...I'll be watching the PO on the classifieds. My bike was $200, the '02 ZRR12, (with about $500 in bags and extras), that my buddy initially bought went for $3000, and the seller just picked up a brand new Concourse that he'll probably sell for half the value in a few years. Gotta love it when a seller is all into picking up something new and liquidates his garage just to make room.
        81 H "Traumaha"
        06 KLR 650
        06 Katana 600 (Sold)
        05 Star 1100 (Sold)
        79 RD400 (Stolen)
        78 KE175

Comment

I think that Cokeman and SiP had bikes down in that area. It appears that they have not been online for quite a while. I know a few years ago I was trying to buy one of Simon's bikes from down there. It had the same exhaust as yours and IIRC the same tank. He is in Medicine hat area so may be worth your while to look up. If the members area for alberta/bc does not help you can PM me as I may still have his number tucked away. God only knows where but I am pretty sure I have it in old emails.
          Welcome to the forum and enjoy the well bought bike you have.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
            Sorry Fred, I had inquired as well about the stock pipes. Too bad they had been reclaimed by the earth some time ago. - - - I'm gonna need feedback on the bump seat. Made it from a halved '78 GS tank I had lying around. Looks too stock being the same width as the seatpan, may have to skinny it up a bit.
            Hi Kurtis,
            too bad indeed. If they'd been part of the deal you could have sold them off (or better yet, put them back on and sold the 4/1 because tunability beats looks) and gotten a free bike.
            The bumstop? The tunnel indent asks for a stop/tail light.
            How about extending the indent around each side long enough to fit turn signals? I see all the lenses being flush with the sheetmetal like an airplane nose.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
              I might just try hooking the carbs back up and see what she does after the cleaning, I didn't check the jet sizes until pretty well done but the one was a 117.5 (manual says to use 115's), so it does look like he went bigger when changing to the 4into1. Haven't had it started long enough to even see if it still has its second gear intact, but it is only reading 35k kms.
              Hey again,

Well, the manuals (Clymers) have been known to have mistakes regarding specs...ie. carb jetting. I have an 81 SH, and others have also reported that their jets were NOT staggered in size. Mine were 110's straight across out of the box. Yamaha jetted them lean for emissions in the later years, and so up from 110's to 117.5's is 3 sizes which is what I'm running on mine with Pods and same 4 to 1 pipes, and it runs quite well. I also have the 1179cc little big bore kit, and my dyno run suggested that I could possibly benefit from 1 more size up on the mains....so YMMV.

We know it's a bit of a hassle to go back into the carbs, but if they have the K&L pilots in them, then you will NOT be able to get it to tune right, period!
              You'll have black sooty plugs and poor idle and off idle throttle response, etc., so we would really recommend you swap them out for Mikuni's ASAP, to save your plugs and your hair!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC ( and a few other gurus) is 100% right on dumping the off-brand pilot jets, and replacing with Mikunis. After I synced the carbs, I still had a revving issue and hanging throttle, but after I replaced the pilots , it was running like a new scoot.
                79 F
                Previously owned: (among others)
                1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                1973 Suzuki TM 125
                1979 XS1100 F
                2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                1991 BMW K75

Comment

You know what Rasputin, this is Simon's bike. It just occurred to me that he had mentioned the site as a resource. Makes sense that you haven't heard from him, as he has let the bike sit for some time. Found a pick of the old '79GS 1000 I had too, will try to make the XS as pretty.

81 H "Traumaha"
                  06 KLR 650
                  06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                  05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                  79 RD400 (Stolen)
                  78 KE175

Comment

Garagamus,

Welcome to the forum!

On the XS1100 things are done in pairs that can make it easier to find problems:

The #1/#2 carburetors get fuel from the left-hand fuel tap.
                    The #3/#4 carburetors get fuel from the right-hand fuel tap.

Ignition is supplied by two ignition coils in a "wasted spark" setup.
                    One coil fires the #1/#4 spark plugs.
                    One coil fires the #2/#3 spark plugs.

The two left-hand pipes are blued (lean) so you probably have a glitch in the fuel supply. The vacuum supply line to automatic fuel control diaphragm in the left-hand fuel tap could be bad, or the diaphragm in the fuel tap itself could have a pinhole.

Since you just did some work on the carburetors you may have mixed up a couple of vacuum lines. On the left-hand side of the engine underneath the fuel tank there should be two vacuum lines. One line goes to the vacuum advance, the other line goes to the automatic fuel control diaphragm in the left-hand fuel tap.

The vacuum advance line is supposed to be connected to the #2 carburetor.
                    The vacuum line for the automatic fuel control diaphragm in the left-hand fuel tap supposed to be connected to the #2 intake manifold boot.

If the vacuum lines were switched when you put the carbs back on the engine then neither one of them would work correctly. The vacuum advance would get a constant (okay, pulsed! ) vacuum signal from the #2 intake manifold boot and the automatic fuel control would get the intermittent and inverted vacuum signal that's supposed to operate the vacuum advance.

If the vacuum lines are correct then just for grins and giggles, disconnect and cap both vacuum lines to both of the fuel taps and run the engine with the taps in the Prime position.

Troubleshoot as appropriate!

-- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

What a difference waiting for a Tuesday makes....as thats when our local Yamaha dealer opens up (open Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday). New BPR6ES spark plugs, 2 more complete cleaning of the carbs, and 2 1/2 turn open...she purrs like a kitten at idle. Still gotta synch them, but so far she seems real close to at least try it now. (if only I hadn't destroyed the seat.....Meh)
                      81 H "Traumaha"
                      06 KLR 650
                      06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                      05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                      79 RD400 (Stolen)
                      78 KE175

Comment

Working...
                      X